Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

It is really a pity that KR Audio stopped makink KT150. They beat tungsol hands down but their manufacturing technology did not allow them to produce anymore. They have now the kt150D which is missing one of the three grids and it is a no go. Only good for the amplifiers. That old kt150 would have been a winner. Tungsol 170 being made in Russia I cant touch because of the war.

It is really a pity that KR Audio stopped makink KT150. They beat tungsol hands down but their manufacturing technology did not allow them to produce anymore. They have now the kt150D which is missing one of the three grids and it is a no go. Only good for the amplifiers. That old kt150 would have been a winner. Tungsol 170 being made in Russia I cant touch because of the war.
Lukasz, are NOS KR KT150s that can still be found (not KT150Ds) worth seeking out?

It is really a pity that KR Audio stopped makink KT150. They beat tungsol hands down but their manufacturing technology did not allow them to produce anymore. They have now the kt150D which is missing one of the three grids and it is a no go. Only good for the amplifiers. That old kt150 would have been a winner. Tungsol 170 being made in Russia I cant touch because of the wa
There are KR KT150's all over the web which are new production, but none of them show a "D" designation. They are Tetrodes I believe... I take it these are not the ones you're talking about?

There are KR KT150's all over the web which are new production, but none of them show a "D" designation. They are Tetrodes I believe... I take it these are not the ones you're talking about?
KR are very difficult to find. Grab them as they will likely be gone tomorrow after everyone has read Lukasz proclamation

Closest I could come was a quad matched set for $2200

Got to admit, on one hand, this seems like craziness re: tube grabs. Especially as folks choose their winners while the supply of other tubes are diminished/eliminated by the same folks that may work better in others' systems. Maybe an exchange/trading program of sorts could work through the forum.

That said, I have drunk the koolaid, and have various tubes (albeit at very small numbers) incoming from various countries. This seems very haphazard (vs a pre-established supply of best combos for a couple key sonic synergies vs everyone for themselves) but I better understand the rolling culture now and very much look forward to trying out a few combinations. I definitely see the allure and the beauty in that.

Thanks to all for input on this thread and other lampi rolling threads on this forum. I will work on letting go! and embracing this part of the hobby and the manufacturers that provide such an amazing opportunity to find just the right combo for one's system and tastes.

Any tubes that don't quite fit my tastes with the Pacific or Horizon I will continue to gladly offer at quite a discount here for anyone interested. Seems like the least I can do as we all seek our 'set and forget' pairings.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: christoph and Golum
I gotta laugh, after toilet roll hoarding we now have tube hoarding

Reactions: iain
KR are very difficult to find. Grab them as they will likely be gone tomorrow after everyone has read Lukasz proclamation
But I don't think these are the one's Lukasz is talking about are they? What I see are Tetrodes not Pentodes.

But I don't think these are the one's Lukasz is talking about are they? What I see are Tetrodes not Pentodes.

where are you seeing these? I don’t think there are different KT150s. I think they are all tetrodes.

Last edited:
where are you seeing these? I don’t think there are different KT150s. I think they are all pentodes.
KT 170 is a tetrode as is the KT150

all KT series tubes are tetrodes AFAIK

take note lampi does not completkly follow typical tube topology , for thing he has in the past i think attempted to isolate the grid and heater control grid or cathode .

Skimming the video, I believe he referred to the Pentode and Tetrode in the same sentence as if they were essentially the same? Wiki seems to say they are except for a difference in the grid:

Pentode is a related term of tetrode.​

As nouns the difference between pentode and tetrode​

is that pentode is a thermionic valve similar to a tetrode with the addition of a suppressor grid; was used in high quality audio and radio products while tetrode is a thermionic valve similar to a triode with the addition of a screen grid to protect the control grid.

Yesterday while my wife was out for a few hours I decided that once again I wanted to revisit the use of different Horizon preamp levels when used inconjuncion with an external preamp. Previously I stated that according to what I hear in my system, sonically, the performance is better with an eternal preamp with the Horizon set to "63" (bypass mode)as was suggested in the user manual , and using my Lamm LL1 preamp to adjust for volume.

I remained interested that Rau who use the same tubes as I do in my Horizon has his Horizon set at 57 and he has an external preamp which he uses for volume control

I started by using my typical setting at 63 with my Lamm preamp at gain position number 7. I reman mesmerized by the sound. I then went down stepwise on the Horizon preamp with very little (if any) audible difference between 63 and 62 and keeping my Lamm at position 7. At 61 there was a clear and distinct drop off in the sound where it seemed slightly recessed but at 60 the sound was beginning to collapse. The sound stage seemed farther away and very recessed. I took this all the way down to 52 which became a mere shadow of its former self. I then began increasing incrementally until I reached 57. The sound was distinctly recessed , subdued and lacking all of the dynamics that I was loving at 63. I continued to increase the gain on my Lamm in order to recreate the magic but never seemed to get there. Then I tried to do a blinded test by using the Horizon remote pointed at the remote but unable for me to see what the volume was at. I did this on the go I went up and down several clicks back and forth while playing many demo tracks I use to tune my system I had no idea where my Horizon was set. The gain on my Lamm remained at position 7. Over the course of an hour I continued to go up and down until I thought I was back to position 63 and was using only my Lamm preamp. I settled into a volume position which initially I thought was back to 63. I played a few more files and it sounded ok but it was missing the PRAT to which I was accustomed. Something just didn't sound correct as the sound stage was lacking some of the info that I was hearing when in bypass mode. After playing a few more files I was not feeling the hair bristle on my arms and I wasn't as drawn into the music and couldn't't figure out why until I finally looked at the volume on the Horizon and the answer became obvious. In my mind with all of the ups and downs on the Horizon preamp volume and thinking I was back at 63, when I peeked the volume was at 61. So this takes me back to my initial part of the test where I reduced the Horizon gain and began to notice the sound was recessed and the sound stage not bristling when the volume was 61. In my attempt to try this blinded by not looking at the Horizon gain and clicking up and down somany times that I had no idea what the gain was on the Horizon. When I got back to where I thought was 63 and listened, it was close but definitely Knew it couldn't be 63 and having a look showed it at 61.

Perhaps this was a lot to do about nothing however at the end of my listening I knew once again that for my ears and my room, my preference remains having the Horizon in bypass mode and keeping my Lamm at detente position number 7. It truly sounds best for me at those settings. There is no question that the Horizon sounds very good going direct to amp but at the end of the day my system sounds best with an external preamp

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing