Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

We all need to keep this red tagged because I get a lot of members would jump on a group buy if we could get the price down My gut is that this will only work in the USA as delivery cones to one address to be shipped to buyers. I don’t want to take chances on sending these all over the world for fear something might happen which would leave WBF liable
Overseas members can always use a local US based forwarder then it would be no more risky for WBF?

Reactions: Steve Williams
I guess people feel that WE would be open to a group buy with discounted prices?

Mine is staying at 63 I found that just going to 62 killed the magic I hear at 63. At 62 I found to be less holographic and more 2 dimensional. That extra click is perfect. I adjust my preamp for volume and at 63 I am only making a one click change on my preamp depending on the genre. Only proves every system AND preferences dictate what is BEST for each user. No right or wrong.
I'm guessing your preamp is passive

Oh okay so your needing 63 setting to drive your WA because of lower wattage amp .

If I use my VAC Signature preamp with horizon at 63 my volume on VAC is at 8:00
but my amp is very powerful.
At 63 on the Horizon my preamp is always at either the 7th or 8th detente spot on my preamp. If I were to lower the volume on the horizon I ned to turn up the gain on my preamp. It makes most sense to have the Horizon at pass through (63)of the full signal rather than an attenuated signal as there is more magic to my ears when donee that way. I also agree with you that for my ears I prefer to use my preamp rather than going direct DAC to amp

Reactions: 2ndLiner
At 63 on the Horizon my preamp is always at either the 7th or 8th detente spot on my preamp. If I were to lower the volume on the horizon I ned to turn up the gain on my preamp. It makes most sense to have the Horizon at pass through (63)of the full signal rather than an attenuated signal as there is more magic to my ears when donee that way. I also agree with you that for my ears I prefer to use my preamp rather than going direct DAC to amp
Could Steve and Roland please share more context for where they have their pre set? For instance, when you say 7th or 8th detent: How any detents, or steps total are there on your pre? And Roland, at "8:00" where are you in total context of your pre? I take it 8:00 is low, and you find that the full signal (63 on the Horizon) is too much and moves your pre out of it's sweet spot?

Reactions: ctydwn
Strange things on the Horizon..
5C6BC9D1-2908-4472-999F-BCF79E837D04.jpeg

Steve seems very low
what was the sweet spot settings with the pac ?
its perfect Al. In fact that is virtually the same position that I have always played my preamp even when I had the Pacific. The room is well pressurized and the sound is awesome. I know where I'm keeping my gain controls.. I don't see the point of turning the gain below 63 on the Horizon only to compensate by increasing the gain control with my Lamm preamp. I have had that preamp for years and it has always been at virtually the same level gain in all that time regardless of what my source is. One other reason Im betting that my preamp gain control is where it is , is due to my use of excellent isolation with Joe's CMS racks and Center Stage footers. The sound floor is so low that the 8th detente position is accurate for my ears. The amount of detail I am hearing now having switched from
6900 -------------->Thomson CSF 5687
KR KT 88-------->TungSol KT170
KR5u4g---------->Takatsuki 274B

is beyond anything I have heard on the digital side of my system

Al, check your PM's. I sent you a message

Last edited:
Last part of the tube puzzle (3T - Thompson, TungSol, Takatsuki) arrived today and i can with confidence say that this is the fugliest tube i’ve ever hold in my hands…wanna puke
FBC339AA-160B-4209-B039-35D3F065F5D0.jpeg

Last part of the tube puzzle (3T - Thompson, TungSol, Takatsuki) arrived today and i can with confidence say that this is the fugliest tube i’ve ever hold in my hands…wanna puke
View attachment 91046
It’s all about the sound

so there are now 3 of us using the same tube sets
Actually I’m not using anything…I’m just looking at the tubes sitting on the shelf…spring with snow came (yeah its snowing like crazy today), guess I’ll enjoy the summer rain as well and when the leafs start falling in the autumn lets see what happens :D

Actually I’m not using anything…I’m just looking at the tubes sitting on the shelf…spring with snow came (yeah its snowing like crazy today), guess I’ll enjoy the summer rain as well and when the leafs start falling in the autumn lets see what happens :D
I’m betting they’ll be your tube set.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing