KUZMA XL AIR

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Thank you so much im about to do the same demo at Kevin's in the near future. I popped in unplanned as I was on business in Nottingham. The monaco wasn't set up so listened to stabi M compared to xl air with safir obviously no comparison. Xl air hugely different the rest of the system was likely similar with his smaller floostanding speakers
Are you based in the North of England im in Holmfirth West Yorkshire
Are there any other mega turntables you ruled out before choosing kuzma?
Currently sme model 15 with series 5 arm
Thank you again great insight. Kevin also suggested the same as your comments sound wise of both systems. Monaco carbon fibre precise, xl air more refined,analog, real wooden violins I noted on one piece he played me, in fact I was transfixed for 12 mins so moving and I'm not really a classical fan
Best wishes Simon
Your welcome Simon.
Yes, Definitive Audio / Living Voice / SJS Electroacoustics Arcadia Systems made me feel very emotional to some of the classical music they were playing on both of their systems (i.e. forst system I heard was with the Kuzma Stabi R & 4Point 14" arm and CAR50 cartridge with Living Voice OBX RW4 speakers, second system as already explained in previous posts). You could really feel what the Musicians were wanting to portray and play to their audiences plus the life like sounds from each of the instruments. Never felt this amount of emotion before from listening to a HiFi System i.e. only at live events when the Musicians were playing emotional musical passages.

One of the 'secret sauce' Kevin adds to his HiFi Systems is his / Definitive Audio's battery pack power supply system that powers all of the HiFi components (except I think the Monaco V3 if its running off its own battery pack power supply when operating) which I am sure makes a big difference to the sound although never heard his systems operating without it during the two times I have heard them.

I looked at all the other Kuzma TTs as well. But I just loved the look of the XL DC along with its simplicity etc.
Before I bought my XL DC (it was a one Owner 2019 built TT purchased from a Kuzma Dealer in Finland) I had the Rega P10 with Apheta 3 Cartridge linked up to a Rega Aura MC Phono Stage. There was just no comparison to the two i.e. the XL DC was just in another world.
I have also had in the past a Rega RP10, Origin Live Sovereign with their Conqueror arm, Origin Live Resolution with their Illustrious arm, and many years ago a Linn LP12 and a Thorens TD125.
I have now concluded with TTs (now that I own the XL DC) that to my ears you can't beat shear mass (in weight) of a TT if you like your music to be rock solid with lovely deep bass and deep and wide sound stages whilst still having enough clarity across the frequency ranges without the music sounding thin and sounding as though there is more 'meat on the bone' so to speak than much lighter TTs.

My UK base is currently in Birmingham.

Reactions: mtemur

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If I remember correctly, the Terminator needs only less than 2 psi of air pressure. You may want to check out the Micro Seiki compressors, which are quiet enough to be placed right under the turntable. They may be powerful enough for the Terminator
Good call, yes the Terminator runs very low pressure indeed. I'll check out the MS pumps.

Reactions: Marcus

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
FYI, compressors Kuzma is using, provide high pressure (4-5 Bars) to the turntable bearing and can simultaneously power the Air Line tonearm too.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I have now concluded with TTs (now that I own the XL DC) that to my ears you can't beat shear mass (in weight) of a TT if you like your music to be rock solid with lovely deep bass and deep and wide sound stages whilst still having enough clarity across the frequency ranges without the music sounding thin and sounding as though there is more 'meat on the bone' so to speak than much lighter TTs.
+1

Reactions: dennis h

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing