Upgrading Kuzma XL DC to air bearing

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Last weekend, the air-bearing kit I ordered a few months ago arrived. I spent a few hours to read the manual and to assemble the kit. But actually, it was not so complicated. I was just over-cautious not to do anything stupid to handle this heavy upgrade.

In the package, there’re an air compressor, 2 PVC bottles to contain waters and wastes extracted from the air compression process and a double bottle air buffer to maintain a smooth air supply to the turntable.

What I needed to do is only to add oil into the compressor, connect the air pipes. All are straightforward to set up the compressor and the connection.

The challenging part comes from removing the original pivot bearing and replacing it with the air bearing parts. It is a lot of labor work to unscrew the pivot bearing, separate it from the base and fasten the air-bearing onto the base. All needs to be done with super cautiousness since I don’t want to scratch the surface of the TT.

There’s an important procedure to respect: set up the air supply first, float the bearing mechanism and then trying to mount the 2 platters, a new bronze platter+the original compounded platter. Without the air bearing, it is impossible to assemble the 2 platters properly since they don’t rotate and it will possibly damage the motor when it tries to generate a lot of torque to spin the table.

So here’re the workflow for people who’s interested to upgrade to air bearing:

1. Unpack everything and lay them out’
2. Replace the pivot bearing part with air bearing, this needs some subtle strength and skills (most challenging part);
3. Add oil to the compressor (be mindful of models of compressors. They have different ways to add oil) The main manual advises no need to read the manual of the compressor but actually you need to read it to understand how to add oil;
4. Connect the PVC bottles to the compressor
5. Connect the air buffer bottles and connect to the compressor and the turntable, keeping the 2 valve closed;
6. Open the compressor and let it reach the desired pressure;
7. Open the 2 valves to float the air bearing;
8. Install the belt and place the motor;
9. Mount the additional Bronze platter and then mount the original platter;
10. Following instructions to finish the setup;

Make sure the pressure at the turntable (indicator on the TT) is at the right level 3.5-4bar and you’re good to go;

5C524C77-1E1E-4088-B6EE-B0408C880326.jpeg

10E704F8-11C6-4D0C-932A-C44673489DB2.jpeg

5A7388FC-EA92-43BE-9CDD-45EE182FAA20.jpeg

4C75666E-A369-4DA2-82C7-DF9CD5E4BC95.jpeg

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Last weekend, the air-bearing kit I ordered a few months ago arrived. I spent a few hours to read the manual and to assemble the kit. But actually, it was not so complicated. I was just over-cautious not to do anything stupid to handle this heavy upgrade.

In the package, there’re an air compressor, 2 PVC bottles to contain waters and wastes extracted from the air compression process and a double bottle air buffer to maintain a smooth air supply to the turntable.

What I needed to do is only to add oil into the compressor, connect the air pipes. All are straightforward to set up the compressor and the connection.

The challenging part comes from removing the original pivot bearing and replacing it with the air bearing parts. It is a lot of labor work to unscrew the pivot bearing, separate it from the base and fasten the air-bearing onto the base. All needs to be done with super cautiousness since I don’t want to scratch the surface of the TT.

There’s an important procedure to respect: set up the air supply first, float the bearing mechanism and then trying to mount the 2 platters, a new bronze platter+the original compounded platter. Without the air bearing, it is impossible to assemble the 2 platters properly since they don’t rotate and it will possibly damage the motor when it tries to generate a lot of torque to spin the table.

So here’re the workflow for people who’s interested to upgrade to air bearing:

1. Unpack everything and lay them out’
2. Replace the pivot bearing part with air bearing, this needs some subtle strength and skills (most challenging part);
3. Add oil to the compressor (be mindful of models of compressors. They have different ways to add oil) The main manual advises no need to read the manual of the compressor but actually you need to read it to understand how to add oil;
4. Connect the PVC bottles to the compressor
5. Connect the air buffer bottles and connect to the compressor and the turntable, keeping the 2 valve closed;
6. Open the compressor and let it reach the desired pressure;
7. Open the 2 valves to float the air bearing;
8. Install the belt and place the motor;
9. Mount the additional Bronze platter and then mount the original platter;
10. Following instructions to finish the setup;

Make sure the pressure at the turntable (indicator on the TT) is at the right level 3.5-4bar and you’re good to go;

View attachment 82866

View attachment 82867

View attachment 82868

View attachment 82869
Congrats on a stunning turntable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing