Krelles system with SMT room treatment!

Krelle

Aug 5, 2013
Stockholm Sweden
Hello Elberoth! Ok i Will post it on the Totaldac thread. These Verity Audio speakers play with the bass backwords, and I didnt get the bass right when I had them like that out in the room due to room measurments. The 50 Hz tone disapeared when the speakers where out in the room. When I "splitted" them apart and turned the bass around I got more punch and when I tried to push it closer to corners (one step at a time) the 50 hz tone came back at right power. Then i had to tune My helmholtz (where the bass was too much) to get it right. I also get rid of vibration from bass due to "splitting" them apart. I dont use any room correction, only SMT products. / Krelle

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Make sense. Always liked your room. It is one of the craziest around :)

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You can really put the wing diffusors so close to the speakers as 30cm? I have an email to Matts to get a couple transparent wings for behind/between my Alexias, but don't have a lot of room to the sides. But it they are OK close maybe I will get two more for side reflection points?

Krelle

Aug 5, 2013
Stockholm Sweden
Hello Bobvin! Its no problem if you have 30 cm to sidewall, but not closer than that. I have 35 cm to speakers and 30 cm from My head to backwall, it works perfect. I think the first reflection on sidewall is very important.

wingregards Krelle

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
You can really put the wing diffusors so close to the speakers as 30cm? I have an email to Matts to get a couple transparent wings for behind/between my Alexias, but don't have a lot of room to the sides. But it they are OK close maybe I will get two more for side reflection points?

I believe 30cm is recommended minimum. It is actually much closer than what any other diffusor offers.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium

I have the S-wing on the first reflection point of my speakers and as a direct result I have been able to move my speakers more apart and still get the same density of timbre + larger soundstage.

If you are adding two V-wings behind the speakers (at the first front wall reflection point between the speaker and the listener), then you make another serious leap in performance. I am saying this although I already had Schroeder diffusors on my front wall but these wings are much more effective.

I am in the process of building an acoustic reference room based on SMT products. More to come within a month or so :p

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Hello Flyer! Im looking forward to see some pictures when your room is ready. That room Will be something special:D

Regards Krelle

I had a preview of some CAD's but I won't spill the beans...:p

Krelle, your room is gorgeous.

Flyer is currently assisting me in implementing some SMT solution in my audio room. As I want something stealthy, I need to be patient...

Krelle

Aug 5, 2013
Stockholm Sweden
Thank you dcc :). Are you going for the transparent wings or something else? I have used SMT products for several years now. As you can see I cant get enough of these products, its really crowdy now;). Its really nice to hear every step of the way. It would be nice to hear from you what you think when you get them in place, hopefully soon.

Regards Krelle

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Hi Krelle. Sorry for my late reply.

My listening room is a small barn with a high vaulted ceiling. The acoustic measurements without any treatment are quite good with the exception of a small bump in the bass frequencies. However the RT is too long.

As my listening room happens to be my living room, I wanted someting stealthy hence the need for diffusers in acrylic. I have been waiting for S Wings in acrylic but with a height of 160 centimeters. I have been informed by Flyer that these wings will become available in May.

I will have S Wings in all four corners as well as at the first reflexion points. I will add two wings behind my listening position. Those will be fitted with casters so I can stowe them away when I am not listening to music. I will also test putting two V Wings behind the speakers.

I see that you also have Flower Wings. Could you further explain their contribution and sonic attributes?

Kind regards

Last edited:

Krelle

Aug 5, 2013
Stockholm Sweden
Hello dcc! No problems Im late too.
really nice with such tall s-wings in acrylic, thats going to look great!!
I use the flower-wings on the first reflection on the floor. They work very well there, perfect size 60x60 cm doesnt take so much space on floor.I get more lifelike voices, better focus too. Calmer presentation and more body to the music too.I never tried them anywhere else in the room. Sometimes i write a little "Swenglish" but I hope you all understund What I mean...

I have been building in my room, even more wings in my already crowdy room. Hope to take some pictures soon.

Kind regards Krelle

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Looking good , job well done ! How best can one place the varitunes ? Am interested in trying them , can they be wall mounted in a corner to save floor space . How much do they weigh . thanks for any possible feedback.

Krelle

Aug 5, 2013
Stockholm Sweden
Hello and thank you Jazzhead! I have just been talking to Matts on SMT on the phone. He told me that the varitune-4 Weigh about 30-35 kg and V-6 weigh about 45 kg. About placing them in the corners i think the best is to Send an E-mail and ask Matts himself, he is very helpful. As you can see on My backwall picture i have a v-6 standing to the left, I had to much power in 31,5 Hz, and this place is the most effektive place in My room for that tone.

Kind regards Krelle

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Hello and thank you Jazzhead! I have just been talking to Matts on SMT on the phone. He told me that the varitune-4 Weigh about 30-35 kg and V-6 weigh about 45 kg. About placing them in the corners i think the best is to Send an E-mail and ask Matts himself, he is very helpful. As you can see on My backwall picture i have a v-6 standing to the left, I had to much power in 31,5 Hz, and this place is the most effektive place in My room for that tone.

Kind regards Krelle

How many V4 and V6 have you got in your room?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing