KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Looks like I will be attending the Long Beach audio show in two weeks - I will be sure to report back on two interesting speakers. The Stenheim Reference 2 is making its debut and the Alsyvox Caravaggio will be at the SoCal show for the first time. Thrax is also going to be exhibiting and was my best in show two years ago.
I never had a chance to try Thrax. I look forward to hearing your feedback on the show.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I'm looking forward to going to the show. It's been a long time since I've heard systems to compare to my YGs. I had hoped the California makers would be there, Magico, VSA. I wanted to hear the A5s. PBN will be and look forward to hearing them.

Papic971

Mar 1, 2021
Hello everyone,

I came across this subject a bit by chance and I allow myself to make my contribution by suggesting that you really try to test, listen to the AT31 speakers from the French manufacturer Atlantis Lab! After that I don't know if there is a representative of the brand on your side of the globe! but these speakers are really worth the trip for a very aggressive price (€ 9,900)! These speakers send back to the speakers closet can be much more expensive!

A good listener ....

Grandinote Mach9 speakers and more ... can be a track! also to test !

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Alsyvox was my favorite speaker of RMAF 2019.

I've heard Thrax many times, they are excellent... if you like the CD chosen, which is very clean and clear but does have a character of it's own, I'd say it's lively and exciting to listen to.

Reactions: morricab

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Gestalt,
Have you tried the Lamm SET's on the WVL SON's?
I've spent a few months with the ML2.2's on the SON's now and feel confident I understand the pairing. They're phenomenal. Lots of other amps are great on the SONs, but these are particularly remarkable. The truth just flows out. Good shit.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I've spent a few months with the ML2.2's on the SON's now and feel confident I understand the pairing. They're phenomenal. Lots of other amps are great on the SONs, but these are particularly remarkable. The truth just flows out. Good shit.
My understanding is that they go very well with the Aries Cerat Genus

Tennisdoc40

Nov 2, 2020
Fyne Audio F1-12

I was keen to hear these speakers after visiting my friend Jim's Tannoy Westminsters a few months ago. My friend, Mike Bovaird at Suncoast Audio, has raved about them for a year as well. My first trip during the pandemic on an airplane would bring me to see my father as well as his relatively new store. And I can also say traveling with 25% of an airplane's capacity was actually pleasant. First class on a transcon was only $150 more, direct.

Mike's store has 3 rooms (L, M, S) and the big Fyne F1-12 was setup in the M room (17' x 25' so actually more large to me). Electronics were Pass XP22/X260.8 and Gryphon Pandora/Essence with a MSB Discrete dac (I own a Premier). The speakers are gorgeous in person - as they are in pictures to most. The woodwork and finish is top notch, the overhung caps a nice touch. While the burled wood isn't my particular style, the speaker is beautiful. I also was expecting a much larger one but the sloped sides and finish draw less attention in person. The "cone" where the driver is located is neat as it's slotted in aluminum to the cabinet and covered with leather (like a SF). So the jet engine look is less in person!

We started on the Pass electronics. The sound was big and present sounding - if not a bit more forward than others I've listened to. It was easy to hear how coherent they are in 5 minutes though and I didn't notice the stilted leading edge like when I had the X350.8 on my YGs. There is something about coaxial drivers that make one relax instantly. However, after more listening the bass was a little round/indistinct, the mids a bit lacking, and the highs perhaps a little soft but edgy. Was this a brighter speaker hiding in Tannoy design language? We switched to Gryphon Essence after an hour and a light bulb went on in the room. The sound blended perfectly. The Essence isn't of the older, warm chocolate Gryphon type and far more neutral than a typical 50 watt Class A. I remarked to Mike that it was a magical combo!

What I heard with the F1-12/Gryphon combo time after time was big, alive, and musical sound. Dynamics were excellent but didn't have any horn fatigue factor. Soundstage was still a bit forward, but not in a tiring fashion (like some horns). Highs were extended, but not overbearing. Bass was clearly tuned for definition than output (Wilson) but still doesn't reach the definition of a sealed box. It hit hard where it needed to though. What was fascinating is while I consider the Tannoy Westminster an "anti-hifi" speaker, I found the Fyne had some more typical hifi attributes in a positive way - think imaging, soundstage, etc. This reminded me of my former Devore Gibbon X vs Orangutan where the former is a more modern sound than the latter. I very much enjoyed the combination of traits. For the resolution fans, I didn't think it was as far off as say the Tannoy Westminster, nor fuzzy like the Gamut RS line. Very open, clear sound. Natalia LaFourcades voice really was present in the room, but without the dripping second harmonic that I often hear with SET amps. We ended with Scheherezade and Trentemoller - 2 very complex pieces in different genres. I'll note that for some reason I found them less congested, more appealing than on sealed box speakers with good flow on the Class A beast. I didn't notice a music genre preference that afternoon.

Did the Fynes quite have the soundstage of a YG that has the uncanny fabric in front of you? Not quite. Was it as refined in the highs or lows as a sealed box speaker? Not that either. But what the Fyne does extremely well is just lets you listen to engaging, dynamic sound in a relaxing fashion but still with some of that hifi goodness.

Where would I put the Fyne F1-12 in my 3 year pecking order of speaker auditions? I'd slot in in the top 3 with YG and Avantgarde. Between the 3, it really depends on your ultimate priorities. What I've learned after numerous sessions is that there is no speaker that excels at *everything*. You make your decision based on your top 3 or 4 attributes and go in that direction.

Tennisdoc40

Nov 2, 2020
Fyne Audio F1-12

I was keen to hear these speakers after visiting my friend Jim's Tannoy Westminsters a few months ago. My friend, Mike Bovaird at Suncoast Audio, has raved about them for a year as well. My first trip during the pandemic on an airplane would bring me to see my father as well as his relatively new store. And I can also say traveling with 25% of an airplane's capacity was actually pleasant. First class on a transcon was only $150 more, direct.

Mike's store has 3 rooms (L, M, S) and the big Fyne F1-12 was setup in the M room (17' x 25' so actually more large to me). Electronics were Pass XP22/X260.8 and Gryphon Pandora/Essence with a MSB Discrete dac (I own a Premier). The speakers are gorgeous in person - as they are in pictures to most. The woodwork and finish is top notch, the overhung caps a nice touch. While the burled wood isn't my particular style, the speaker is beautiful. I also was expecting a much larger one but the sloped sides and finish draw less attention in person. The "cone" where the driver is located is neat as it's slotted in aluminum to the cabinet and covered with leather (like a SF). So the jet engine look is less in person!

We started on the Pass electronics. The sound was big and present sounding - if not a bit more forward than others I've listened to. It was easy to hear how coherent they are in 5 minutes though and I didn't notice the stilted leading edge like when I had the X350.8 on my YGs. There is something about coaxial drivers that make one relax instantly. However, after more listening the bass was a little round/indistinct, the mids a bit lacking, and the highs perhaps a little soft but edgy. Was this a brighter speaker hiding in Tannoy design language? We switched to Gryphon Essence after an hour and a light bulb went on in the room. The sound blended perfectly. The Essence isn't of the older, warm chocolate Gryphon type and far more neutral than a typical 50 watt Class A. I remarked to Mike that it was a magical combo!

What I heard with the F1-12/Gryphon combo time after time was big, alive, and musical sound. Dynamics were excellent but didn't have any horn fatigue factor. Soundstage was still a bit forward, but not in a tiring fashion (like some horns). Highs were extended, but not overbearing. Bass was clearly tuned for definition than output (Wilson) but still doesn't reach the definition of a sealed box. It hit hard where it needed to though. What was fascinating is while I consider the Tannoy Westminster an "anti-hifi" speaker, I found the Fyne had some more typical hifi attributes in a positive way - think imaging, soundstage, etc. This reminded me of my former Devore Gibbon X vs Orangutan where the former is a more modern sound than the latter. I very much enjoyed the combination of traits. For the resolution fans, I didn't think it was as far off as say the Tannoy Westminster, nor fuzzy like the Gamut RS line. Very open, clear sound. Natalia LaFourcades voice really was present in the room, but without the dripping second harmonic that I often hear with SET amps. We ended with Scheherezade and Trentemoller - 2 very complex pieces in different genres. I'll note that for some reason I found them less congested, more appealing than on sealed box speakers with good flow on the Class A beast. I didn't notice a music genre preference that afternoon.

Did the Fynes quite have the soundstage of a YG that has the uncanny fabric in front of you? Not quite. Was it as refined in the highs or lows as a sealed box speaker? Not that either. But what the Fyne does extremely well is just lets you listen to engaging, dynamic sound in a relaxing fashion but still with some of that hifi goodness.

Where would I put the Fyne F1-12 in my 3 year pecking order of speaker auditions? I'd slot in in the top 3 with YG and Avantgarde. Between the 3, it really depends on your ultimate priorities. What I've learned after numerous sessions is that there is no speaker that excels at *everything*. You make your decision based on your top 3 or 4 attributes and go in that direction.
I too have had the opportunity to hear the Fyne f1 in the shop. What that speaker needs is an audio show and one of the smaller ball rooms. I had already purchased the Fyne 702 s based on the smallest room. They are among the most musical speakers I’ve ever heard. The F1 is a formula one speaker that needs an open road

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hey guys, sorry it has been so long. I have been traveling for much of July but am finally settling down. The big Fynes are run-in, speaker positioning and toe-in being finalized. Also have adjusted the settings pretty much to neutral despite their capabilities - you can adjust treble and presence essentially by 3db. I also had a dac change (MSB Reference) so that is now run-in as well.

More to come :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hey guys, sorry it has been so long. I have been traveling for much of July but am finally settling down. The big Fynes are run-in, speaker positioning and toe-in being finalized. Also have adjusted the settings pretty much to neutral despite their capabilities - you can adjust treble and presence essentially by 3db. I also had a dac change (MSB Reference) so that is now run-in as well.

More to come :)

Photos are always good. Congratulations Keith. Looking forward to reading your impressions.

Reactions: cal3713

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I had the pleasure of listening to Keith's new speakers this Friday with @Ron Resnick, @Jimford and @213Cobra. I'll cut to the chase, I can't say enough about the Fyne Speakers, they are absolutely fantastic. The first thing you will notice is the high quality construction and fit and finish of the speakers. The wood work, the leather work (around the driver) and the milled aluminum base with footers are built to the highest quality.

We listened to the speakers mostly though Keith's MSB Reference DAC (also new), LTA Preamp and a variety of amplifiers. With all of the amplifiers the sound was open, effortless and extremely tuneful. The dual concentric 12" driver has great tone and projects a wide soundstage. I could hear no crossover issues, the transition between drivers was smooth and clear. The sound was slightly reminiscent of Tannoy speakers that I've heard before, but with a more modern sound. Unlike other Tannoy-like speakers, there was no need for a super tweeter.

Keith is still in search of the perfect amplifier for the Fynes, we listened to the Ampzilla's, the First Watt SIT-3 and Pass XA25. I thought the speakers sounded best with the SIT-3, but the others thought it ran out of gas at extremely high volume. Phil brought over a very interesting set of 20 watt customer EL34 amplifiers. I only heard them for a few minutes but they sounded quite nice. The great thing about efficient speakers, Keith will have a lot of choices.

Congratulations Keith, I think you're finally at the finish line!

Keith's Speaker.jpg

Keith's 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I had the pleasure of listening to Keith's new speakers this Friday with @Ron Resnick, @Jimford and @213Cobra. I'll cut to the chase, I can't say enough about the Fyne Speakers, they are absolutely fantastic. The first thing you will notice is the high quality construction and fit and finish of the speakers. The wood work, the leather work (around the driver) and the milled aluminum base with footers are built to the highest quality.

We listened to the speakers mostly though Keith's MSB Reference DAC (also new), LTA Preamp and a variety of amplifiers. With all of the amplifiers the sound was open, effortless and extremely tuneful. The dual concentric 10" driver has great tone and projects a wide soundstage. I could hear no crossover issues, the transition between drivers was smooth and clear. The sound was slightly reminiscent of Tannoy speakers that I've heard before, but with a more modern sound. Unlike other Tannoy-like speakers, there was no need for a super tweeter.

Keith is still in search of the perfect amplifier for the Fynes, we listened to the Ampzilla's, the First Watt SIT-3 and Pass XA25. I thought the speakers sounded best with the SIT-3, but the others thought it ran out of gas at extremely high volume. Phil brought over a very interesting set of 20 watt customer EL34 amplifiers. I only heard them for a few minutes but they sounded quite nice. The great thing about efficient speakers, Keith will have a lot of choices.

Congratulations Keith, I think you're finally at the finish line!

View attachment 81074

View attachment 81075
Congrats :cool:
So it's time to revive Keith's Amp search thread :p

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
All for the price of a single Odin Gold. Amazing!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing