KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
All for the price of a single Odin Gold. Amazing!
If you have an itch for new speakers, you really should hear these. They'll give you the point source that you're used to but with better dynamics and higher fidelity. The group was very impressed with the quality of finish and sound for the price. Dare I say that these speakers are a bargain.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Congrats :cool:
So it's time to revive Keith's Amp search thread :p
A measured impedance minimum of 6 ohms (25 ohm maximum) and 91 dB sensitivity (manufacturer says 94 dB)

The choice of suitable amps will be huge :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I had the pleasure of listening to Keith's new speakers this Friday with @Ron Resnick, @Jimford and @213Cobra. I'll cut to the chase, I can't say enough about the Fyne Speakers, they are absolutely fantastic. The first thing you will notice is the high quality construction and fit and finish of the speakers. The wood work, the leather work (around the driver) and the milled aluminum base with footers are built to the highest quality.

We listened to the speakers mostly though Keith's MSB Reference DAC (also new), LTA Preamp and a variety of amplifiers. With all of the amplifiers the sound was open, effortless and extremely tuneful. The dual concentric 10" driver has great tone and projects a wide soundstage. I could hear no crossover issues, the transition between drivers was smooth and clear. The sound was slightly reminiscent of Tannoy speakers that I've heard before, but with a more modern sound. Unlike other Tannoy-like speakers, there was no need for a super tweeter.

Keith is still in search of the perfect amplifier for the Fynes, we listened to the Ampzilla's, the First Watt SIT-3 and Pass XA25. I thought the speakers sounded best with the SIT-3, but the others thought it ran out of gas at extremely high volume. Phil brought over a very interesting set of 20 watt customer EL34 amplifiers. I only heard them for a few minutes but they sounded quite nice. The great thing about efficient speakers, Keith will have a lot of choices.

Congratulations Keith, I think you're finally at the finish line!

View attachment 81074

View attachment 81075
Where the YGs still there for a compare?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If you have an itch for new speakers, you really should hear these. They'll give you the point source that you're used to but with better dynamics and higher fidelity. The group was very impressed with the quality of finish and sound for the price. Dare I say that these speakers are a bargain.
Yes, Ron has communicated to me as such.

Reactions: jeff1225

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Keith, since you are interested in sampling from the first watt catalog, I'd encourage you to try an F4 if you can find one (or commission a build). In my system I've had an xa-30.5, x250.5, xa25, sit2, and sit3 clone (the Sissy SIT designed over on diy audio), and the F4 is the best of the bunch. It is a class A, no-feedback, voltage follower providing only current gain and a nice 2nd harmonic dominant distortion profile. 25W into 8 & 50W into 4.

As I've stated elsewhere here, on my Coincidents it beat out the above, plus Atmasphere M60s, Coincident Frankenstein 300bs, & a Lyngdorf tdai-3400.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I had the pleasure of listening to Keith's new speakers this Friday with @Ron Resnick, @Jimford and @213Cobra. I'll cut to the chase, I can't say enough about the Fyne Speakers, they are absolutely fantastic. The first thing you will notice is the high quality construction and fit and finish of the speakers. The wood work, the leather work (around the driver) and the milled aluminum base with footers are built to the highest quality.

We listened to the speakers mostly though Keith's MSB Reference DAC (also new), LTA Preamp and a variety of amplifiers. With all of the amplifiers the sound was open, effortless and extremely tuneful. The dual concentric 10" driver has great tone and projects a wide soundstage. I could hear no crossover issues, the transition between drivers was smooth and clear. The sound was slightly reminiscent of Tannoy speakers that I've heard before, but with a more modern sound. Unlike other Tannoy-like speakers, there was no need for a super tweeter.

Keith is still in search of the perfect amplifier for the Fynes, we listened to the Ampzilla's, the First Watt SIT-3 and Pass XA25. I thought the speakers sounded best with the SIT-3, but the others thought it ran out of gas at extremely high volume. Phil brought over a very interesting set of 20 watt customer EL34 amplifiers. I only heard them for a few minutes but they sounded quite nice. The great thing about efficient speakers, Keith will have a lot of choices.

View attachment 81074

View attachment 81075
Are they 10 inch or the 12 inch model ?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

View attachment 81074

View attachment 81075
There is a dealer in Zurich...I think I will need a listen...and I can hear them with a good SET! :)

Reactions: PeterA

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Keith, since you are interested in sampling from the first watt catalog, I'd encourage you to try an F4 if you can find one (or commission a build). In my system I've had an xa-30.5, x250, xa25, sit2, and sit3 clone (the Sissy SIT designed over on diy audio), and the F4 is the best of the bunch. It is a class A, no-feedback, voltage follower providing only current gain and a nice 2nd harmonic dominant distortion profile. 25W into 8 & 50W into 4.

As I've stated elsewhere here, on my Coincidents it beat out the above, plus atmosphere M60s, coincident Frankenstein 300bs, & a lyngdorf tdai-3400.
I still need to try the F4.

Reactions: cal3713

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jeffrey, are the Fynes very different from the Zus? I'm not sure if you have any reliable audio memory for the Zu Druids VI that you heard at Keith's 2-3 years ago?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
We listened to the speakers mostly though Keith's MSB Reference DAC (also new), LTA Preamp and a variety of amplifiers. With all of the amplifiers the sound was open, effortless and extremely tuneful. The dual concentric 12" driver has great tone and projects a wide soundstage. I could hear no crossover issues, the transition between drivers was smooth and clear. The sound was slightly reminiscent of Tannoy speakers that I've heard before, but with a more modern sound. Unlike other Tannoy-like speakers, there was no need for a super tweeter.
I'm very happy to see another audiophile reunion! There's nothing better than sharing the same passion.

What kind of music did you choose for setup tests?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing