Jonathan Valin’s TAS Review of MBL X-Tremes

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
“. . . the best loudspeakers I’ve heard in my home — or anyplace else, for that matter.”

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mbl-101-x-treme-omnidirectional-loudspeaker/

Congratulations to Jürgen Reis and Jeremy Bryan! View attachment 89736
Hello

these are a great attempt to the most natural sound. The radiate 360°, they have surface to give full body on tones. Jonathan says they lack precision at the center stage, they are not as detailed as electrostatic, and they are 88 dB.. Jonathan may try Botticelli X or Caravaggio and discover that dipoles with full 20/22 Hz bass, at 94/95 dB efficiency, all drivers of the same material for tonal coherency and yes wide/deep soundstage. French review came to PHPAUDIO review Botticelli X (with Humboldt amplifier). Conclusion : the best speakers under 250 k€, no need for huge power amplifier.

Attachments

• IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
You may consider German Physiks PQS series before buying MBLs...
The DDD wide band driver does have principal advantages but I don´t know how the sound compares, only listened to MBLs once (not impressed).
I am very happy with my PQS 302s although they can be harsh with 80s digital (as they should).
Pricewise and ampwise you don´t save vs. MBL and you can´t find any used PQS on the market (says HifiShark). I think I know why: You couldn´t get mine below the price for new ones :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing