Jazz LP suggestions for a TOP 10 list.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi guys,

I love jazz, but I'm far from being knowledgeable on the genre. I don't like abstract or avant-garde jazz much as it's a jumbled mess for my ears, so please provide some recommendations that are a little more mainstream.

It would be great if your suggestions were available on audiophile LP labels, so I could actually purchase them without searching for a used copy.

Thanks so much!:D

John

Reactions: PhonoDac2704

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
You'll get a lot of suggestions. Perhaps if you let us know what artists and/or LPs you like, we could offer better suggestions.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Whichever your list ends to be, be sure there are some Miles Davis, Coltrane, Rubalcaba, Jarret, Cohen and Heirsch in it.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Whichever your list ends to be, be sure there are some Miles Davis, Coltrane, Rubalcaba, Jarret, Cohen and Heirsch in it.

and Thelonious Monk and Duke Ellington and Charlie Parker

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Are you looking for everybody's favorite 10 jazz albums, or the 10 jazz albums that would be the best start to a collection? There is a difference.

If it's 10 starters to seed a collection, what a great question! I won't help you a bit with what is available on audiophile vinyl because a) I don't care and b) it's not the point - the right album on whatever medium, is much more important than whatever your perceptions of audiophile quality are. Take Kind of Blue on cassette if that's all you can get. Skip Kenny G if he offers to come play in your living room.

Not necessarily in order:

Kind of Blue - Miles

Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus

Time Out - Dave Brubeck

Round About Midnight - Miles Davis

Saxaphone Collosus - Sonny Rollins

Cannonball Adderly - Know What I Mean?

Bill Evans - Waltz With Debby

Monk's Dream - Thelonious Monk

Brilliant Corners - Thelonious Monk

Gershwin's World - Herbie Hancock (had to get something in there made in the last 20 years!)

That's far from definitive. Heck, it barely scratches the surface. You'll get lots of other suggestions. But I think if you started out with those, read the liner notes and struck out from there by following these artists and the sidemen on these albums, you'd end up with a lot of great music.

P

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here's what I have so far:

Dave Brubeck - Time Out
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Dexter Gordon - Go!
Chick Corea - Return to Forever
Frank Sinatra - Sinatra At the Sands
Dexton Gordon - One Flight Up
Various - Jazz At The Santa Monica Civic '72

This will give you an idea of what I like. Thanks for the lists, links and suggestions so far.

John

EDIT: Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up is my favourite, but that could be because it's relatively new for me.... and I'm enjoying the new sounds.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The next thing I'd buy is "Kind of Blue." Then I'd look for some piano - Bill Evans' "Waltz With Debby" is pretty hard to beat, but so is Herbie Hancock. Perhaps some female vocal? "Ella and Louis" is seminal, but for more contemporary, Dianna Krall "Live in Paris" is wonderful. You've got a fine start there.

P

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
let's try some female vocalists
Liz Wright-Salt
Shirley Horn- You Won't Forget Me
Tuck and Patti-Colors
Dee Dee Bridgewater-Keeping Tradition
Billie Holiday-Live at Monterey and the Philharmoinc Contains God Bless the Child and Good Morning Heartache Verve(She really deserves her own thread)
Nancy Wilson
Dinah Washington
Cassaundra Wilson-Moon Daughter
Dakota Staton- the late,late show
Carmen McRae
Sarah Vaughn-Sarah Vaughn wirh Clifford Brown
Nina Simone
Carol Kidd- A Place In My Heart
Flora Purim-Butterfly Dreams
just to name a few

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here's what I have so far:

Dave Brubeck - Time Out
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Dexter Gordon - Go!
Chick Corea - Return to Forever
Frank Sinatra - Sinatra At the Sands
Dexton Gordon - One Flight Up
Various - Jazz At The Santa Monica Civic '72

This will give you an idea of what I like. Thanks for the lists, links and suggestions so far.

John

EDIT: Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up is my favourite, but that could be because it's relatively new for me.... and I'm enjoying the new sounds.

What! No Bill Evans???? :) (OK other than his backing on a couple of the albums listed).

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hey, thanks for the list. Here are a few suggestions; not meant to be definitive, rather a starting place for further exploration:

Art Blakey - "Moanin'"
Barney Kessel, Ray Brown & Shelly Manne - "The Poll Winners"
The Great Jazz Trio - "Direct From LA"
Charles Mingus - "Mingus Ah Um"
Duke Ellington - "Blues In Orbit"
New York Trio w/ Ken Peplowski - "Stardust"
Thelonious Monk - "Live At the It Club"
Miles Davis - "Round About Midnight"
Lee Morgan - "The Sidewinder"
Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington - "For The First Time"
Count Basie - "Chairman of The Board"
Sonny Clark - "Cool Struttin'"

Good luck! Let us know what suggestions you enjoy.:cool:

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Many great suggestions so far. Thought I'd throw this one into the mix:

American Audiophile

Aug 17, 2010
Stuart, FL
Yes I certainly agree with those artists and titles that have been posted. Those are and remain some of the holy grails of recorded jazz of the past century. But I believe we would be somewhat remiss not to add some of the current crop such as Bill Charlap Trio and Brian Lynch. Also to add is:

Johnny Griffin
Eddie Lockjaw Davis
Stanley Turrentine
Modern Jazz Quartet
Great Jazz Trio
Frank Morgan
Ahmad Jamal
Jimmy Smith
Richard Groove Holmes
Tommy Flanagan

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
How about "The Very Best of Jazz Club"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebUMhJAKSM

I like it especially when he disconnects the keyboard of the Linda McCartney-like female groupie/useless female stage appendage/wife etc.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

PhonoDac2704

Oct 31, 2020
let's try some female vocalists
Liz Wright-Salt
Shirley Horn- You Won't Forget Me
Tuck and Patti-Colors
Dee Dee Bridgewater-Keeping Tradition
Billie Holiday-Live at Monterey and the Philharmoinc Contains God Bless the Child and Good Morning Heartache Verve(She really deserves her own thread)
Nancy Wilson
Dinah Washington
Cassaundra Wilson-Moon Daughter
Dakota Staton- the late,late show
Carmen McRae
Sarah Vaughn-Sarah Vaughn wirh Clifford Brown
Nina Simone
Carol Kidd- A Place In My Heart
Flora Purim-Butterfly Dreams
just to name a few
Norah jones early album

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
I'm late to the party, but here goes...Take Five[Dave Brubeck]- Winelight[Grover Washington Jr.]- Birth Of The Cool[Miles Davis]- Newk's Time[Sonny Rollins]- Blue Benson[George Benson]- In Person[Bobby Timmons Trio]- Bumpin[Wes Montgomery]- Something Else[Cannonball Adderley]- Jazz Immortal[Clifford Brown]-What Is There To Say[Gerry Mulligan].

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing