Embarking on building a classical LP collection...in 2023!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hi Marc, the visit to General's was a real treat, including meeting you and the others. Thanks to Ked for getting me out there that day. The glory days of used vinyl shopping for classical records unfortunately has passed in London and the UK. Until Covid, I made annual trips to London, staying for a few weeks of wonderful classical music performances almost every evening, and serious shopping for records in the day time. There were quite a few dealers with extensive lists, including some who were based in London. I would visit them and we would talk about records and I learned a lot about the details of pressings, etc. For those outside of London, I would have them ship me records I purchased to my London hotel or, later, my London timeshare. There were also several brick and mortar stores like Harold Moores in London, and doing annual trips, meant there was a lot of turn over in inventory. That meant it took two or three multihour visits to go through all the inventory. The Classical Music Exchange in Nottinghill Gate was a complete separate store with three levels of records (the basement was where the 50p records were). I would end up with three suitcases full of records (each 30 kilos! - thanks to Virgin frequent flyer miles) each visit.

I started buying from Sophia Singer many years ago. She was too far from London for me to visit. However, when I was writing my book on Decca Records, I got to interview and become friends with several of the old time Decca engineers, including Mike Mailes, who had retired within a maybe twenty miles of Sophia, near Derby. We went up north to visit York in 2014 or 2015 and came back by way of Derby to visit Mike and his wife and present him with a copy of the Decca book. Mike then drove us to Sophia's home where I introduced Mike to her. Sophia gifted me with a few rehearsal tapes that she had gotten from the sisters of Chris Raeburn, one of the Decca producers, whose record collection Sophia was handling after his death. I believe Mike had Sophia sell some of his records.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Harold Moores was an amazing treasure trove. Just another frickin' coffee shop now. Definitely don't have enough places to buy coffee in London.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
If you like Mahler, get the famous Decca recording of Mahler‘s Second Symphony with Georg Solti with Heather Harper. The opening few seconds with the double basses growling always sends a shiver through my spine.
For my part my Mahler Second of choice … Not surprisingly being a Wagnerian as Solti still thinks that he is conducting Der Ring des Nibelungen :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For my part my Mahler Second of choice … Not surprisingly being a Wagnerian as Solti still thinks that he is conducting Der Ring des Nibelungen :D

Solti is a very poor recording on LP.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is all about the performance with this one

Klemperer, Bernstein, are better and now too expensive, Klemperer first press reaching almost a thousand, but second press is good. Then there is Walter and Abbado, both better than the Solti. Abbado stuff is enjoyable on blu ray as well.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Klemperer, Bernstein, are better and now too expensive, Klemperer first press reaching almost a thousand, but second press is good. Then there is Walter and Abbado, both better than the Solti. Abbado stuff is enjoyable on blu ray as well.
Opinions Kedar …. Opinions ;) I am aware that we are ‘What’s Best Forum’ however this shouldn’t always be the default setting, and yes Klemperer is quite superb , my favourite being Recorded: 12 July 1951, Holland Festival, Concertgebouw, Amsterdam … however please re read my own reasons for liking the Solti.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Opinions Kedar …. Opinions ;) I am aware that we are ‘What’s Best Forum’ however this shouldn’t always be the default setting, and yes Klemperer is quite superb however please re read my own reasons for liking the Solti

Yes but even assuming the performance was closer to the others, it would not affect the fact that Solti is sonically a bad pressing.

If someone said he prefers Ivan Fischer's Channel Classics DSD on digital, I agree that can be an opinion, because it can be a very good sonic performance in the right digital set up that will enhance the overall enjoyment of us audiophiles.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
it would not affect the fact that Solti is sonically a bad pressing.
There are several pressings of important performances that ideally could have been ‘better’ however we can only embrace what we have been given and find pleasure in them all the same .

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing