It's finally here guys. The new ESS 9038PRO. Game changing DAC chip!

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Here Miska talks about the new Sabre D/A chip (and even new AKM's):

The new ESS Sabre has really good specs, but other than built-in DoP support and the improved specs it seems to be pretty much the same as the previous Sabre. The biggest improvement likely comes from support for slower clock speeds (previously full capability required 100 MHz clock) which means that lower phase noise clocks can be used (doubling crystal frequency tends to increase LF phase noise almost by 10 dB).

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Until he test drives it, there's not much he knows about it. They didn't even publicly release the data sheet yet. The SDM/SRC is much improved over the 9018. Also 8 options now, with greater customization abilities. The "clock gearing" isn't to accept slower clock speeds, it's an energy saving feature. It "gears down" the clocking in the core to reduce energy consumption.

Every aspect of the design has been improved. It also has the THD compensation feature. Many of these features, especially when used with the companion LDO, will make it much easier and cheaper to build a better sounding DAC.

But as far as using with HQplayer, the AKM4497 has the DSD direct mode which bypasses a lot of junk in the chip. But, perhaps it's done so well in the 9038pro that it doesn't matter. You need a volume control somewhere in the chain, so it might be the least compromise to use the internal chip volume control over analog.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Until he test drives it, there's not much he knows about it...
With all due respect I know this is 'Blizzard's Corner', but how about a bit of a reality check here. You state above that Miska who is a developer of your beloved HQ Player can't know about the new DAC chip until he test drives it. However you already felt justified to declare at the beginning of this thread, "Another state of the art innovative product was unveiled along with the ESS 9038pro chip. Used together, this is going to take DAC quality to levels beyond what we are used to now in the $10000+ range, into the sub $1000 range.", "we have the biggest news in the last 10 years of digital, and by far the best DAC chip ever built released", and " Just put a decent output stage behind it, and you'll have an exceptional game changing DAC." Don't you see any problem with such declarations when you haven't tried or heard this new DAC either, or don't your own rules apply to you?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
With all due respect I know this is 'Blizzard's Corner', but how about a bit of a reality check here. You state above that Miska who is a developer of your beloved HQ Player can't know about the new DAC chip until he test drives it. However you already felt justified to declare at the beginning of this thread, "Another state of the art innovative product was unveiled along with the ESS 9038pro chip. Used together, this is going to take DAC quality to levels beyond what we are used to now in the $10000+ range, into the sub $1000 range.", "we have the biggest news in the last 10 years of digital, and by far the best DAC chip ever built released", and " Just put a decent output stage behind it, and you'll have an exceptional game changing DAC." Don't you see any problem with such declarations when you haven't tried or heard this new DAC either, or don't your own rules apply to you?

Maybe you should read what I'm talking about with my posts before coming over here to try to make me look stupid.

Jussi doesn't know much about this chip. Only the brief description on the ESS website. They didn't even release the data sheet yet.

What I was referring to was the LDO that was designed by ESS to be used together with the chip. Where did you read anything about HQplayer??

And how do you know what I know about this chip?

Last edited:

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I have read your posts and I see a clear double standard, but it's your corner so do as you see fit. Sorry for the intrusion with my perspective, now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I have read your posts and I see a clear double standard, but it's your corner so do as you see fit. Sorry for the intrusion with my perspective, now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Your perspective made on misinterpreting my post, and absolute lack of knowledge of what I know? Thanks for the contribution.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

The 9018 supported lower clock speeds than 100Mhz as well. The Resonessence Mirus has a 50Mhz clock. They haven't even unveiled max resolution support with this chip yet to the general public.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Block diagram comparison between the 9038pro and the 9018. Then we have the companion LDO as well. When you combine both the 9038pro and the ES9311, you can see there much more going on than was with just the 9018.

9018.jpg 9038 Pro.jpg Es9311.jpg

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I didn't read the whole thread (just catching up with WBF). 140 dB is only 22 bits, sheesh, how lame is that? ;) This looks like a very impressive product, lot of features in the architecture, lot of the sorts of things designers trade off against complexity and SWAP, but it looks like they did them all!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I didn't read the whole thread (just catching up with WBF). 140 dB is only 22 bits, sheesh, how lame is that? ;) This looks like a very impressive product, lot of features in the architecture, lot of the sorts of things designers trade off against complexity and SWAP, but it looks like they did them all!

Yeah, Best chip yet by far! It was 8 years in the works by a team who had much more for resources and experience to work with than they had 10 years ago while developing the 9018. This isn't just a small update here!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing