It's finally here guys. The new ESS 9038PRO. Game changing DAC chip!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
lol i agree just commenting within the context of the forum as you well know;)

This is why I have my own subforum. For people who are interested in doing things the best way, and learning where the future trends are going. I don't get my information from dealers, magazines, forums, or general enthusists. I prefer discussions with the top engineers in the world of audio to obtain information.

Give it a year or 2 and come back to this thread. There's a couple year lag time between what the engineers know, and the general enthusiasts acknowledge what the engineers already knew for a couple of years.

Something you will never hear in a dealer showroom "Wait guys, keep your money in your pockets, something much better is just around the corner!!"

But sadly many use these guys to educate them.

rowli

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
They also seem to release a pin-compatible version to ES9018S.
In addition to the SABRE ES9038PRO, ESS is also announcing other members of the PRO series — the ES9028PRO and ES9026PRO SABRE DACs. These 32-bit, 8-channel PRO series DACs are designed for the audiophile/enthusiast who demands the high quality and performance of a SABRE DAC at a more economical price point. The ES9028PRO and ES9026PRO are pin-compatible upgrades for previous generation ESS products — the ES9018S and ES9016S — and feature 129 dB and 124 dB dynamic range (DNR), and -120 dB and -110 dB total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N).
http://www.dagogo.com/ess-technology-introduces-the-sabre-pro-series-of-dacs-setting-a-new-performance-bar-with-unprecedented-140-db-dynamic-range

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Good news... can't wait to check out some new DACs with the new chip.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
This is why I have my own subforum. For people who are interested in doing things the best way, and learning where the future trends are going. I don't get my information from dealers, magazines, forums, or general enthusists. I prefer discussions with the top engineers in the world of audio to obtain information.

Give it a year or 2 and come back to this thread. There's a couple year lag time between what the engineers know, and the general enthusiasts acknowledge what the engineers already knew for a couple of years.

Something you will never hear in a dealer showroom "Wait guys, keep your money in your pockets, something much better is just around the corner!!"

But sadly many use these guys to educate them.
This emulation stuff…I heard in 2012 froma top designer in central Switz, so not new for me.

We will see if this new chip can handle DSD better than Chipless and can compete in PCM with the (-350db noise shapers )of the 180K tap-length Dave.
Time will reveal all.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
mike how can we look forward to this tech being used? will it usher in a time when we have one dac, portable that just clicks in to our home set up for truely reference play back when combined with some sort of dock station.

everyone who uses the ESS 9018 now, and likely several manufacturer's who currently don't will be using this chip soon. We are going to see small cheap form factor DAC's that blow peoples minds soon.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
This emulation stuff…I heard in 2012 froma top designer in central Switz, so not new for me.

We will see if this new chip can handle DSD better than Chipless and can compete in PCM with the (-350db noise shapers )of the 180K tap-length Dave.
Time will reveal all.

All of the overpriced boat anchors will be paperweights soon. Think of them as early 90's laptops, big bucks, and not very good.

cpqslt286.jpg

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
And digital watches spelled the end of all those overpriced far less accurate Swiss mechanical watches, no?

Afterall, bits are bits...even when streamed directly.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
And digital watches spelled the end of all those overpriced far less accurate Swiss mechanical watches, no?

Afterall, bits are bits...even when streamed directly.

Well depends if you are buying for performance or not. Most people don't buy DAC's because of the amazing mechanical engineering. Turntables maybe, but not DAC's.

But even when it comes to watches, a $30 Timex can keep better time than a $20000 Rolex. But people buy Rolex's for status, prestige, fashion and the love of mechanical engineering. Do people buy early 90's laptops for the same reason these days? Do people collect old RAM chips? No, because electronics keep getting better, and they always will.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
However, I am assuming you have not either.

No doubt it will be an improvement over 9018...how much remains to be seen.

It's a massive improvement over the 9018. Out of the ball park better.

Last edited:

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I think this is Moore's Law?

Well depends if you are buying for performance or not. Most people don't buy DAC's because of the amazing mechanical engineering. Turntables maybe, but not DAC's.

But even when it comes to watches, a $30 Timex can keep better time than a $20000 Rolex. But people buy Rolexes for status, prestige, fashion and the love of technical engineering. Do people buy early 90's laptops for the same reason these days? No, because electronics keep getting better, and they always will.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
i do like the sound of my TAD mike so wont be using it as a paper weight any time soon. the ref to 90s laptops is lazy though amusing as the new dac from Nagra looks just like it:D

The new chip won't make the sound of your TAD any worse, it will just make better sound much cheaper to obtain.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I think this is Moore's Law?

Yeah like Moore's law, but Moore's law was referring to CPU's. DAC chips don't move quite as fast. It has been 8 years since the 9018 rocked the DAC world, and still remains the market leader.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
It seems the 9018 chip has just started dominating the market share and now a new chip. I guess it is back to the drawing board for all these manufacturers.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
It seems the 9018 chip has just started dominating the market share and now a new chip. I guess it is back to the drawing board for all these manufacturers.

Yes Dustin designed that chip back in his mid 20's, 10 years ago when the company was just tiny, and it's still the market leading chip today. Just imagine the latest and greatest from the mind of this man. Not only that, the ESS Sabre chip division has grown from just 10 guys to over 120 since those days. Millions in revenue as well as several patents since. They also acquired all of Wolfson's IP as well. All of this has gone into making this new chip. It's not just a small incremental update.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
as it should be.. i am with you on that. elac are doing great things, got any news on thier streamer mike?

oh i have a rolex bought it with my first real pay check.. belive it or not they dont always/never make thier own mech and the fake ones keep better time.

i did not buy for status more the idea of permanents

As far as streamers go, they are going to be a dying breed. This is why I recommend not paying more for one than the unit on my streamer thread. Network connectivity will be standard in all DAC's soon.

Yeah buying a DAC to be a permanent fixture, is much the same as buying a computer for the same reasons. I suppose if all you do is play solitaire on the computer, the 1990 laptop is still fine for the job.

This all rolls in nicely to my modular DAC thread, and why there's value in modularity. If one bought a Resonessence Mirus back in 2012, they will get to look forward to the latest chips going them soon as a low cost upgrade. Which other DAC on the market will offer an upgrade to these chips?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
He hasn't tried this chip yet.

No and IMHO he won't really need to.

I'd bet you $500 you could not tell this from the previous ESS iteration using the same analogue output circuit and power supplies etc in blind listening tests.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing