It's finally here guys. The new ESS 9038PRO. Game changing DAC chip!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
No and IMHO he won't really need to.

I'd bet you $500 you could not tell this from the previous ESS iteration using the same analogue output circuit and power supplies etc in blind listening tests.

All I can say is you are dreaming. We will see the reviews when the updated boards come out for the Resonessence lab's Mirus. Your post will still be here, I'll quote it beside the copy and paste of the review.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
was talking about my rolex re permanant but this idear of dac modularity is nice but wont hold true in the years to come..utopia mike but not this world.

Well it's true for Resonessence labs owners who will be getting the new chips fitted soon in their 4 year old DAC's. The competition can barely build a DAC as good for the price to date with the old chips, now the updated Mirus will likely be the best sounding DAC under $10000. So not gonna sell me on modularity not being good.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I bet my Gustard X20 sounds as good!

Well it's true for Resonessence labs owners who will be getting the new chips fitted soon in their 4 year old DAC's. The competition can barely build a DAC as good for the price to date with the old chips, now the updated Mirus will likely be the best sounding DAC under $10000. So not gonna sell me on modularity not being good.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I bet my Gustard X20 sounds as good!

I would love to compare them. But lot's of cool tricks in the Mirus. Most hidden in the FPGA. There's advantages to being the one who designed the chip, when building a DAC. He's the only one who knows what's really going on in that black box. All everyone else knows is what the diagram says. :)

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
oh its a great idea if it can with stand market forces. i just dont think it will but hope it does. tech moves on as WELL as habbits so lets see.

It's not a very well know brand, simply because they don't put much into the marketing. It's more or less just a side project for the ESS guys to play around with. But you don't see too many used Mirus's for sale because unless someone wants to downgrade, it costs quite a bit more money to upgrade to a better DAC. But now with the new chips, a simple low cost upgrade will take it up with the best of the best under $10K circa 2016-2017. Who else can pull this off with a circa 2012 DAC?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
All I can say is you are dreaming. We will see the reviews when the updated boards come out for the Resonessence lab's Mirus. Your post will still be here, I'll quote it beside the copy and paste of the review.

Well that won't answer the challenge, not that we'd ever be able to actually do it.

Are you seriously trusting reviews about sonics? I seriously wouldn't.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Well that won't answer the challenge, not that we'd ever be able to actually do it.

Are you seriously trusting reviews about sonics? I seriously wouldn't.

I don't trust reviews, but most people do, which was why I mentioned it. Anyways it won't even be a debate once people hear the first DAC's using this chip. Audiogon will be flooded with ESS9018 DAC's nobody wants.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

I had a Resonessence Invicta in for a bit. I don't think I have heard a DAC I have liked less. I hope for the sake of the owner's it does give it a lift!:)

Here it is... a top a Parasound A21, which is a very good SS amp for the money.

SDC13822.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I had a Resonessence Invicta in for a bit. I don't think I have heard a DAC I have liked less. I hope for the sake of the owner's it does give it a lift!:)

Here it is... a top a Parasound A21, which is a very good SS amp for the money.

View attachment 24871

That's the Invicta. It only uses a single chip rather than dual like in the Mirus. Did you give it a try with HQplayer bypassing the SDM/SRC section of the chip? If so, you would have a different opinion. One of the weak areas of the 9018, was the internal SDM/SRC. Much improved SDM/SRC in the new chip.

But that DAC is a DAC designed for lack of coloration. So those who like coloured tube DAC's or other DAC's designed to colour, it may not be for you.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
its all very'matrix' you make it perfect and every one kills them selfs:eek:

You make it perfect, and let everyone tune to their tastes with DSP. Simple concept. Now the artists who paint pretty pictures with their tubes, can develop DSP profiles instead.

It's called keeping up with the times so you don't end up like poor old Cisco Clifton :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
they cant be trusted mike.. these humans. better to stick to what works, making dissions for them;)

Well surely they can press a button on a mobile app GUI that enables a filter that grips their soul. Once it's found with that particular album, hold finger on album until "embed filter tag into album" pops up and enable. Now each album is like listening on a system perfectly optimized for it, and your tastes.

I know sounds like a horrible world. Might have to go hide out in a cabin deep in the mountains to isolate from all of the horrid innovation and technology :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Well surely they can press a button on a mobile app GUI that enables a filter that grips their soul. Once it's found with that particular album, hold finger on album until "embed filter tag into album" pops up and enable. Now each album is like listening on a system perfectly optimized for it, and your tastes.

I know sounds like a horrible world. Might have to go hide out in a cabin deep in the mountains to isolate from all of the horrid innovation and technology :)[/QUOTE]

knock three times and wait a sec then knock twice more and i will let you in:D

That's too much to remember. Tooooo hardddd!! Can we go back to the old way of just 3 knocks and you open the door?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
That's the Invicta. It only uses a single chip rather than dual like in the Mirus. Did you give it a try with HQplayer bypassing the SDM/SRC section of the chip? If so, you would have a different opinion. One of the weak areas of the 9018, was the internal SDM/SRC. Much improved SDM/SRC in the new chip.

But that DAC is a DAC designed for lack of coloration. So those who like coloured tube DAC's or other DAC's designed to colour, it may not be for you.

No I didn't try HQPlayer. Whilst I just didn't like the Invicta at all do like some solid state digital quite a bit. EMM Labs and MSB to name two.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
No I didn't try HQPlayer. Whilst I just didn't like the Invicta at all do like some solid state digital quite a bit. EMM Labs and MSB to name two.

Yeah the Invicta passes through the sound of the stock SRC/SDM of the 9018 chip quite transparently. The AD797 based output stage can sound a bit cold as well. So HQplayer can do wonders in combination with that DAC.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
yea but how will i know its you? dont want to be letting just ANYONE in. how about three knocks and a password?
password question from me " are you human".
answer from you "yes but its not my fault... let me in".

I say just crank this up to 11 on the turn table and don't worry about it. But make sure you have the latest $38000 isolation platform so it doesn't skip!! :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
umm there is more to making a musical dac or cdp than a dac chipset mike a lot more in fact. thats not to say its moot but hard to get excited about.

whats really exciting is a few vinyl guys with dcs stacks are saying they have not used thier tt for some time:cool:

Sir you're correct. The chip never seems to be the determining factor. The biggest expression of when a chip matters is in cheap DAC's because the rest of device isn't any good so the chip shows itself more.

I'm UTTERLY itching to develop a DAC... But I can't say when it'll happen. To be frank I believe any chip I use will result in being something special. But this DAC has appealing features for a builder.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Sir you're correct. The chip never seems to be the determining factor. The biggest expression of when a chip matters is in cheap DAC's because the rest of device isn't any good so the chip shows itself more.

I'm UTTERLY itching to develop a DAC... But I can't say when it'll happen. To be frank I believe any chip I use will result in being something special. But this DAC has appealing features for a builder.

The rest of the DAC is extremely important, however this chip used in conjunction with the companion LDO makes it much cheaper and idiot proof to make an incredible sounding DAC. It has features never before available in a DAC chip. So standard rules that applied to DAC chips from the past, no long apply with this chip.

Use a dirty SMPS with this DAC/LDO and no problem. High end power supplies don't matter anymore. Expensive components and layouts, don't matter as much either.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Actually I'm not interested in it having an LDO necessarily. I need to check its sheets, if it has a bypass I may need to use it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing