Isolation Transformer and Balanced Power versus PS Audio Regenerator

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff! Thanks for that insight into the P20...have been doing some reading on it. Intriguing.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
One thing Paul should consider is his new p20 to come in 125 or 230 volt selectable it can be automatic to ensure possible human error.
This way it also lowers dc line noise.
My msb dac did the auto voltage select although I never used it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes and it's why it's still in my setup. Now keep in mind I feed it off the bal iso too.
I feel it adds some more depth in staging on doing an A/B all remaining the same devices , tubes etc.
it even adds to my headphone rigs as well.
Woo audio WA 5 and woo audio WES.
I think tube devices perhaps benifit more in this.

Ah! Balanced power + isolation transformer + regenerator for the front-end components!

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes but all bal power are iso type.
But know this. In my room the ground is also isolated and has its own ground path.
So all after the bal iso is on its own ground plain too. Each method I use matters in layers
The bal iso alone with a noise line filter is the biggest change. But once you have the sound and noise floor improved further layers of the onion show more. The interconnects we use have a larger effect too. The balance Iso and the complex multi cpu server uses many lps supplies this greatly benifits from the bal iso no so much the re gen. But since all is interconnected via the front end all are up to the preamp and my speakers ext cross over is as well. Only the 4 amps are not on the RE gen.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am interested only in Al’s subjective sonic impressions of the sound differences between the regenerator and the isolation transformer/balanced power device. I firmly decided I am plugging the solid-state amp bass towers and the VTLs directly into the wall outlets.

But I am going to select either a PS Audio power regenerator or a Torus isolation transformer/balanced power device (I ran 240VAC to the adjacent equipment room for this specific purpose) for the front-end components in the other room.

Or more accurately, I decided some months ago to go with the Torus. I am simply gathering more research to support or to undermine that decision.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I am interested only in Al’s subjective sonic impressions of the sound differences between the regenerator and the isolation transformer/balanced power device. I firmly decided I am plugging the solid-state amp bass towers and the VTLs directly into the wall outlets.

But I am going to select either a PS Audio power regenerator or a Torus isolation transformer/balanced power device (I ran 240VAC to the adjacent equipment room for this specific purpose) for the front-end components in the other room.

Or more accurately, I decided some months ago to go with the Torus. I am simply gathering more research to support or to undermine that decision.
If me get Paul's bigger re gen and let us know ?
If I am understanding you correctly are you saying !
A 220 volt line to feed an iso Tranny to output 125 volt ?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The P20 has impressive specifications - they claim an output Impedance of less than 0.005 ohm! This value is orders of magnitude lower than typical mains impedance that is around 0.1 to 0.5 ohm.

Although I have not tried the P20 I know about two P10 users who swapped them for the new P20 after trying them side by side for a weekend.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If I am understanding you correctly are you saying !
A 220 volt line to feed an iso Tranny to output 125 volt ?

Yes, the Torus balances the power on the input side.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
That output imp is suspect and seems too low lol. But yes Paul told me this on the p10 I had when I asked how does the re gen handle line polluting from other devices plugged into it. His answer was funny I let it go.
For the record all we use pollutes the rest including ground leakage. It's why a very large ground helps in general. I do like Paul's Powr products. Very well made and make a difference

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A0275E68-69CE-43A7-B9DF-D88F3E4804CC.png

47819319-3063-444D-B43B-1A1570ACFE62.png

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Damn Ron show Paul he ignored me lol.
That's cool Ron most any dual Voltage input device can do this too but I don't know of any that take advantage of this. That is a well made device. If you can ask them if it's true bal input
For it to be the center rap of the input must be grounded and it can be if wired so. Most dual voltage devices just use two windings in parallel at low voltage and I'm series for high. This seems to imply its center tap grounded. Very njce Ron. It should also say thus greatly lowers sign wave distortion or dc on the lines. Since most of this noise is single phAse using two phases greatly lowers it.
Does it come with line noise filter as well ?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It comes with a line noise filter, but it can be deleted.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It comes with a line noise filter, but it can be deleted.
Ron if you ask me it's a solid product
What size are your amps ? Have you tried the amps alone on this to hear any sonic attributes
An bal iso is by a margin a great start.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Nope. I have no interest in plugging high current amps into anything but the wall outlets.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Lol me either but it did not hurt my ML no 33 though. I'm converting them to 220 volt while I'm doing the RE cap work. Each has about 126 caps to change out 12 large psu caps alone.
Each amp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Look forward to your decision here. Wonder if you might end up with both. Balanced at incoming power to the house (for the circuits running to your audio room), and then P20 in the room for sources.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lloyd, I've been reliably told that one CANNOT use a mains regen like P10 if power into room is balanced.

Manisandher uses a P10 after his 15kVA isolation transformer. But my 8kVA Westwick balanced trannie cannot be used in conjunction with a P10.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good to know! Then i genuinely look forward to seeing whether Ron runs balanced or P20.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lloyd, Mani runs a very impressive system w dedicated mains feed into isolation transformer, into P10, thence powering gear.

I run an isolated feed to my balanced transformer, and thence via daisy chaining to bespoke consumer unit, run six dedicated lines out.

Mani commented on his industrial grade 15kVA isolation transformer on it's own introducing a little greyness which the P10 totally solved.

All I can say is my balanced transformer direct w no other add on units, has been unequivocally beneficial.

May be almost impossible getting any kind of direct comparison in this area, Ron may have to take a punt.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing