IS there an absolute sound?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have not listened that much in the last month. I have started to listen again to some of my favorite music and I have some observations about the absolute sound. The Absolute sound is very intimate,very powerful,and very emotional. Listening to Stravinsky's Firebird Suite(reference recording),that is one darn angry piece of music. It grabs you by the ears and slaps the hell out of you. That's the intimacy,power and emotion and it is absolute,just beautiful! Good night.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Dear Elliot Goldman:

Please see the information at http://app.audiogon.com/listings/458812 for some ideas regarding "the absolute sound" and see http://www.AbsolutePolarity.com regarding 30 Years of Digital and the 92% Solution.

Best regards,

George S. Louis, Esq., CEO
Digital Systems & Solutions
Phone: 619-401-9876

You really don't get it. The absolute sound is not about a pair of speakers or some tweeks. I started this post as an exercise to see what I can learn about the readers. I know what the absolute sound is! I go to live music all the time. I get a kick out of reading what "audiophiles" think it is.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
There does seem to be quite a distancing in certain areas. A strong personal memory is of a couple of years ago standing 10 feet away from a big band working at full throttle inside a tent, on the other side of the "pointless" PA system. The only sound not "natural" I was hearing was the amplified bass guitar. The sound was literally deafening, I could not hear myself speak, even with a quick yell, it was hot, intense, dynamic, overwhelming, it blew the top of my head off. But it wasn't the slightestly bit uncomfortable or unpleasant to experience. Unlike the majority of extremely ambitious high end systems I've heard over the years, which always sound like they are straining every muscle of their body to bursting point doing a show off, and you're just wishing and hoping that it will be over soon ...

So that live ensemble I heard is a reference for me -- and it is fascinating to see the different points of view people bring to the table ...

Frank

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
You really don't get it. The absolute sound is not about a pair of speakers or some tweeks. I started this post as an exercise to see what I can learn about the readers. I know what the absolute sound is! I go to live music all the time. I get a kick out of reading what "audiophiles" think it is.
Hello, Elliot. Reminds me of this article...

http://www.keithyates.com/audiophmusiclvrs.htm

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The answer or part thereof, of course, is in the leading paragraph: "morbid" is how most would feel if they were to keep comparing what their highly expensive investment achieved in comparison to the "real thing". So the best thing, for their mental health, is to not keep reminding themselves of this ongoing "failure" ...

Frank

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Isn't that what we/they/you are trying to achieve, though? An accurate reproduction of music or at the very least, a pleasurable one? Perfection may not be attainable but I don't think we are at the point of failure. Striving to reach the goal is part of the fun along your audio journey. Others may not agree but it is for me. I'm having a blast.

Enjoy the music. That's the most important thing......at least to me.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The answer or part thereof, of course, is in the leading paragraph: "morbid" is how most would feel if they were to keep comparing what their highly expensive investment achieved in comparison to the "real thing". So the best thing, for their mental health, is to not keep reminding themselves of this ongoing "failure" ...

Frank

Isn't that what we/they/you are trying to achieve, though? An accurate reproduction of music or at the very least, a pleasurable one? Perfection may not be attainable but I don't think we are at the point of failure. Striving to reach the goal is part of the fun along your audio journey. Others may not agree but it is for me. I'm having a blast.

Enjoy the music. That's the most important thing......at least to me.

Just a thought,system noise has a much larger negative effect on high end systems than the distortion present in those systems.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Roger

"Noise" is a very broad term. Could you "define" what you mean by "noise"?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Roger

"Noise" is a very broad term. Could you "define" what you mean by "noise"?

Hi Frantz I started a separate thread on "noise" in general discussion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing