Is streaming changing the music we’re listening to?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Artists get paid by the song. So the more of their songs we listen too the more $$$ they receive. Therefore, it’s to their advantage to have shorter songs, rather than longer ones.

Also I remember how some older music had long intros. Eagle‘s “Hotel California” has app. 50 seconds of low key acoustic guitar before increasing the pace. Zeppelin‘s “Stairway to Heaven” opens with about 60 seconds of quiet guitars. Will there be any more Pink Floyd type nine-minute-long intros, as in “Shine On You Crazy Diamond?” In contrast, generally speaking in today‘s newer music the arrangement of songs have changed. Intros are a thing of the past for many. A hint of the chorus is played at the beginning to hook us sooner, as artists get paid for that song only if you listen to at least 30 seconds (Spotify) of it.

Different genres of music often have different lengths as well. For instance a classical song may be over 10 min and some jazz over 8 min. Will these lengths begin to shorten because of the way artists are now paid?

Maybe this is one more reason why older music still outsells the new.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I personally will listen to whatever the artist put out. I haven't notice much of a change over the years. Sure I can go pull some songs from the past that are longer like "Hotel California", but I don't believe a have a ton of olders records that are overly long. All of my live in concerts music tend to be longer.

Republicoftexas69

I personally will listen to whatever the artist put out. I haven't notice much of a change over the years. Sure I can go pull some songs from the past that are longer like "Hotel California", but I don't believe a have a ton of olders records that are overly long. All of my live in concerts music tend to be longer.
I am with bryans on this one, I have the music I enjoy no matter the genre or length, I also love finding new music via streaming services, wether I am in the truck, flying or at home.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Central Florida - Orlando
I haven't uncovered my VPI TT since I did the tube upgrade to my Horizon.
If musicians are compensated by the number of their songs played on streamers, then they just hit the jackpot with me!

Reactions: rgmd11 and Pokey77

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Artists get paid by the song. So the more of their songs we listen too the more $$$ they receive. Therefore, it’s to their advantage to have shorter songs, rather than longer ones.

Also I remember how some older music had long intros. Eagle‘s “Hotel California” has app. 50 seconds of low key acoustic guitar before increasing the pace. Zeppelin‘s “Stairway to Heaven” opens with about 60 seconds of quiet guitars. Will there be any more Pink Floyd type nine-minute-long intros, as in “Shine On You Crazy Diamond?” In contrast, generally speaking in today‘s newer music the arrangement of songs have changed. Intros are a thing of the past for many. A hint of the chorus is played at the beginning to hook us sooner, as artists get paid for that song only if you listen to at least 30 seconds (Spotify) of it.

Different genres of music often have different lengths as well. For instance a classical song may be over 10 min and some jazz over 8 min. Will these lengths begin to shorten because of the way artists are now paid?

Maybe this is one more reason why older music still outsells the new.
Maybe this kind of calculation could influence the most commercial pop music, but not any music i’m interested in hearing anyway.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I haven't uncovered my VPI TT since I did the tube upgrade to my Horizon.
If musicians are compensated by the number of their songs played on streamers, then they just hit the jackpot with me!

That’s great. But still a limited jackpot.

DIGITAL SERVICE PROVIDER$ PER STREAM
Qobuz$0.04390
Peloton$0.04036
iHeartRadio$0.01426
Amazon Unlimited$0.01175

Reactions: Famester

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
That’s great. But still a limited jackpot.

DIGITAL SERVICE PROVIDER$ PER STREAM
Qobuz$0.04390
Peloton$0.04036
iHeartRadio$0.01426
Amazon Unlimited$0.01175
Yeah, .01 cent doesn't go as far as it used to!

tasadam

Mar 3, 2023
One of the two main reasons I chose Qobuz was because I found the rates paid to artists for streaming and they were highest, the other being the quality of audio available.
I read the topic title and gave it some thought - certainly what I listen to now through streaming is a lot different to my CD collection. I have discovered a lot of music since taking this hobby a lot more seriously over the last year or so.
Now I see the topic is more questioning whether artists might be releasing music more suited to payment from streaming services.
I don’t know the answer to that, but if I were an artist I would be making music that I like, that I think my fans would enjoy, whether that be 3 minutes or 7 (assuming of course that I actually would have fans ).
I guess one would need to look into the revenue sources and percentages for typical artists to see whether streaming makes as significant a part to justify consideration of maximising streaming payments.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Maybe this kind of calculation could influence the most commercial pop music, but not any music i’m interested in hearing anyway.

I think that says all there is to say about the topic. It's simply a non-issue.

Reactions: Audire and Pokey77

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I think that says all there is to say about the topic. It's simply a non-issue.

I think it depends on a person’s personal listening tastes whether or not it’s an issue or not. I don’t listen to much new music. But I do see that landscape changing on newer music.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I listen to mostly new music but typically don't stream. It can be useful for finding similar artists that are suggested. I use Bandcamp and typically purchase the music through either digital downloads or CD's if available.

Most of the younger people I know stream exclusively and don't own physical media. That is completely contrary to me as I want to own the physical media.

Those streaming rates are an insult to the artists IMHO

Rob :)

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
So an artist typically make around 10-15% off each album. So an $25.00 album nets the artist $2.50 - $3.75 on average. So if an artist streams a song via Amazon Unlimited they get $0.01175 per stream. If they stream 320 songs they would get $3.76.

Seems to me the potential is greater for the artist via streaming. I would think on average an artist would get more than 320 steams per album, especially if the album is worthy of one buying it.

Now I still believe artist should make more for their work but that is a different discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rexp and Pokey77

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
So an artist typically make around 10-15% off each album. So an $25.00 album nets the artist $2.50 - $3.75 on average. So if an artist streams a song via Amazon Unlimited they get $0.01175 per stream. If they stream 320 songs they would get $3.76.

Seems to me the potential is greater for the artist via streaming. I would think on average an artist would get more than 320 steams per album, especially if the album is worthy of one buying it.

Now I still believe artist should make more for their work but that is a different discussion.

Thanks for doing all that math. :)

The OP concerns the question, will artists music change because of streaming. By your own example you have shown that artists will get more $$$ for streaming.

So the incentive then will be to produce more songs for streaming and less LPs and CDs. I can somewhat visualize the day - long time off I hope - that CDs and LPs are no longer produced at all. Why should Adele, etc. produce another record when she can make more streaming? (Hopefully there will be that rare artist that understands the value of analogue vs. digital).

Ultimately, I seeing it effecting the entire industry - less new CDs, LPs, and shorter songs for new artists.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
So the incentive then will be to produce more songs for streaming and less LPs and CDs.
Is this a thing? I always thought an artist produced a LP/CD and that product was streamed. I never really gave it much thought that an artist would produce different music for LP/CD vs streaming.

Reactions: Audire

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I stream in the car and at home looking for new music. Once I have found something I like I generally look for physical media or buy the best download available. I don’t like depending on streaming for keeping my collection intact … several times each year I click on an album in my favorite streaming service only to find that the content is no longer available. Love streaming for finding new music though!

George

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
Streaming has had absolutely no effect on the music to which I listen because I don't stream. I could if I wanted to, but I don't. Mr smart loving daughter has told me repeatedly that I am missing out
To me walking into the den which is my listening room, selecting an LP, cleaning it in the Degritter, cleaning the stylus, placing it on the platter and playing it is a ritual I cherish much as some cultured Japanese people are said to cherish the tea ceremony. Once the chosen music is playing I sit in the green "sweet spot" chair and listen. Some times I listen to the entire of side of the LP. Other times I listen for a few minutes then become distracted. Hop up, bop around the room or the house. Carefully raise the tonearm . Stop the turntable. Do something else possibly playing a CD.
I forgive myself the times I don't listen because I am a TBI (in the line of duty, but not armed forces) brain damaged rapid cycling manic depressive. We are supposed to say bipolar instead of manic depressive, but they never got my permission to change the name, and I am a contrary old cuss.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Is this a thing? I always thought an artist produced a LP/CD and that product was streamed. I never really gave it much thought that an artist would produce different music for LP/CD vs streaming.
It’s normally all about the thing - $$$

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
I think streaming is exposing just how bad some recordings are. Artists/Labels need to up the quality.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I think streaming is exposing just how bad some recordings are. Artists/Labels need to up the quality.
Honestly I have known this for quite some time. I have some CDs and LPs that are very poorly recorded. Actually one of my favorite jazz CDs is recorded bad, but I still use it when listening to new gear, etc.

Reactions: Pokey77

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Originally, older Warner Brother recording used to be considered SOTA.
Now, they have improved the entire process that I can tell a difference how well an album/song is mixed and if the engineer knew his/her craft, etc...
The level of SQ has improved tremendously where us old farts that used to rock to an old Pioneer Supertuner (wish I still had it) can really appreciate the level of gear that reproduces music so well nowadays.
The musician is not the only artist on an album, the people producing, engineers, etc are also artists in their own right.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing