Electronic music: A great way to test your system, work out, file taxes and more ?!

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Fellow WBF'er and Sceana set up guru Bob turned me on to The XX many years ago. Broody, moody electronica in the vein of New Order/Joy Division. Female lead Romy has gone solo and her new album MId Air is light and easy to digest on a drive or a lazy Sunday afternoon. It's got a couple of uplifting fun tracks as well. She reminds me a lot of Tracy Thorn and she has some chops on the decks when she isn't singing.

Nice song.

I recorded it with my system

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
Great thread and many interesting recommendations!

As a manufacturer that pride ourselves in playing "real" music at hifi shows, I can attest to the OPs point about how it draws a different crowd. Playing rock, edm and pop at hifi shows both draws a younger crowd, and also a lot of positive comments by people who are sick and tired of tibetian monks and "Keith don't go".

Interestingly it's also often a much better proof of a good system. The typical "hifi music" sounds good on literally everything. But a complex rock track is often quite problematic. Any jagged response in the midrange or treble turns the track into a harsh experience, and the same with thinny/lean midbass. A track that is in your face, impactful and fun turns into "a poor recording". But good speakers doesn't "reveal bad recordings", "bad" recordings reveal poor speakers.

The same goes with EDM, but in a slightly different way. A lot of EDM have very clean production that also sound good on a lot of speakers, but turn it up, and bottom end that is often both heavy and wide in frequency range again makes many systems fall completely apart if you turn up the sound.

So in addition to being good music, there are a lot of good auditioning material in these genres.

I will circle back with a few recommendations as well later today of some tracks that can test your systems. :)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
the grandfather of eletronic music klaus schulze.alias richard wahnfried
One of best test record" drums 'n' balls "1997 the last album under a pseudonym name
A Masterpiece
Of course art of noise too

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
the grandfather of eletronic music klaus schulze.alias richard wahnfried
One of best test record" drums 'n' balls "1997 the last album under a pseudonym name
A Masterpiece
Of course art of noise too
Don’t forget Grandfather in crime, the late Manuel Gottsching. Imo the greatest dance record of all time E2 - M2, 58 minutes of bliss.
IMG_0952.jpeg

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Trans 4 motion by Klaus Shulze

My house vibrate with this music. ;)
With headphones it works, too quiet via tablet speakers.
He is a great musican so many good music created with peter gabriel, frankie goes to hollywood ,lisa garrad and many more. sad he died 2022 R.I.P

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
A few cool and perhaps somewhat rare elektronika tracks that could also serve to test your system:

Anything from Infected Mushroom usually have high quality and broad band low end as well. :)

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
"Electronic" music is not only for rave parties. Some of the most exciting ballet I have seen is William Forsythe's choreography on Thom Willems' music (videos don't capture fully the energy of the music, but it will give you a good idea):

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
`

One more ED music.

I do use active crossover and tri amping.

With pair of 12inch, 15inch, 18 inch woofers, I got plenty of bass combined with realistic soundstage due to Scaena line array main units.

I do enjoy ED music with my unique hybrid system.

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
`

One more ED music.

I do use active crossover and tri amping.

With pair of 12inch, 15inch, 18 inch woofers, I got plenty of bass combined realistic soundstage due to Scaena line array main units.
That's some intense bass starting at 30sec!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If Borders were still around it would have been found under Electronica :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing