Electronic music: A great way to test your system, work out, file taxes and more ?!

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Dear all,

I was surprised to be unable to find much about it on this forum. This may be against the religion of some … Anyways, i would like to introduce you to some deep house. As one of the fastest growing music trends, it should not be missed in high end audio for the following reasons:

Musical aspects: I agree, a lot of the music is produced for clubs (especially EDM) with focus on loudness comprising monotonous dance beats. That also means that the producers likely compressed the files to get max decimal output levels to compete with other songs and to the detriment of quality but there are labels that focus on nuances and the overall coherency of their sound. Those recordings will have you on the edge of your seat whether you like the music or not because, if you have a decent system, you'll hear elements you've never heard before.

Attracting a different audience to the world of high end audio: As one of the fastest growing genres, at Hifi shows, i am always wondering why there are still only a few rooms daring to play electronic music. Some reasons might be understandable such as, for the sake of comparison between systems, it makes sense to play similar music to the other rooms. Others simply refuse to play anything but Classic and Jazz to maintain the integrity of their “sophisticated” reputation. Atleast Depeche Mode and Pink Floyd is often heard but that's a bit outdated for the younger generation. Attending the Man’s World in Zurich, which in a nutshell, is a fair for producers presenting and selling luxury consumer goods such as whisky, cars, boats, BBQs and other “manly” toys, a highend retailer let people play their own music on a very nice Piega / T&A system. Someone turned on electronic music and the room quickly filled up and people started to come in to dance or enjoy the music. Also many girls and moms were attracted making the ratio about 50-50, even though the population of the show was rather 70-30 male. Also the audience was much younger in the room than the traditional audio aficionado. Maybe show hosts assume that those people will not be able to afford a highend system, it’s fallacious. Many youngsters, a couple years into their careers buy 911s and a 2-5k Bose, Sonos or pricier B&O home entertainment systems. Some of my friends happen to fit the type and be sitting on my couch flabbergasted by the sound.

Motivational life hack: This may sound weird to some but electronic music is great to perform tedious or monotonous tasks with ease. For example, at the gym or running, the music lets you keep rhythm and time passes by quick. I personally also use it when performing dead-boring tasks such as reading a research paper or filing my tax declaration. I could imagine, the effect might be, atleast to some extend, similar to focus-enhancing substances such as methylphenidate (ritalin).

To the actual music (some of my deep house favourites):

(If you never listened to the genre, i only selected a handful songs as, similar to classical music, each song is composed of several sections and there is an intended build-up in the music. Hence, I would encourage to listen to the entire length of the song before judging)

Solomun:
One of the most famous deep house, Ibiza-style DJs. A long time in the business as a producer running the very successful label Diynamic.

Favorite track: “Somebody’s Story”
Album as producer: “10 Years Diynamic”.

Adriatique:
The duo from Zurich has been on Solomun’s Label Diynamic and is also signed on Afterlife. I feel, these two labels produce great music content of which some is dedicated for clubs, other more lounge and deep house style.

Favorite tracks:
“Ion” from the Album “Rollox” is a great song to test nuances in the base response and dynamics of your system.

Tale of Us:
“Alla sera” from the Album “Endless”
“Polar Peak” by Kevin de Vries from the Tale of Us release “Unity Pt.2” Great build-up, especially around 4min until the drop at 4.35min is remarkable.
“Pancho Villa” by “Kiko” from the same Album
“Rebirth” by “Coeus” from the “Unity” (Pt 1) release.

The whole Unity series is great. I am using it frequently for my workouts and testing gear.

Recondite:
The Album “Placid” is well produced and almost every song is a good test for your system. The bass is nuanced and there’s lots and lots of detail to be heard.

Favorite tracks:
“Compel” from the above mentioned “Placid” Album
“Subdue” from the Album “Placid”
“Mirror Games” from the Album “Dwell”

Joachim Pastor for Lounge sessions:

Favorite tracks:
“Reykjavik”
“Eternity”
“Oulan Bator”

Interested to know what you think. Hope some of you will be encouraged to share your favourite electronic tracks.

Cheers,
J.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021
Some albums and EPs I love with an audiophile touch. Mostly a home listening selection

Monolake - Archaeopteryx
Monolake - Momentum
Murcof - The Versalles Sessions
Murcof - The Alias Sessions
Murcof - Cormos
Murcof - Utopia
Felix Laband - Dark Days Exit
Sasha - Scene Delete
Sasha - New Emissions Of Light (song)
Floating Points - Shadows EP
Floating Points - Crush
Function - Existenz
Global Comunication - 76:14
Herbert - Bodily Functions
Herbert - Around The House
Jan Jelinek - La Nouvelle Paouvreté
Jonathan Fitousi - Mobius
Leftfield - Rythm & Stealth
The Ambush - The Ambush EP
Moritz Von Olwald & Juan Atkins - Borderland
Plastikman - Artifakts
Priori - On A Nimbus
Rodrigo Gallardo - El Origen
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Async Remodels
Skee Mask - Compro
Stephan Bodzin - Liebe Ist..
St Germain - Boulevard
Suso Saiz - Nothing Is Obective
Tale Of Us - Endless
The Irresistible Force - It's Tomorrow Already
Trentemoller - The Last Resort

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Some albums and EPs I love with an audiophile touch. Mostly a home listening selection

Monolake - Archaeopteryx
Monolake - Momentum
Murcof - The Versalles Sessions
Murcof - The Alias Sessions
Murcof - Cormos
Murcof - Utopia
Felix Laband - Dark Days Exit
Sasha - Scene Delete
Sasha - New Emissions Of Light (song)
Floating Points - Shadows EP
Floating Points - Crush
Function - Existenz
Global Comunication - 76:14
Herbert - Bodily Functions
Herbert - Around The House
Jan Jelinek - La Nouvelle Paouvreté
Jonathan Fitousi - Mobius
Leftfield - Rythm & Stealth
The Ambush - The Ambush EP
Moritz Von Olwald & Juan Atkins - Borderland
Plastikman - Artifakts
Priori - On A Nimbus
Rodrigo Gallardo - El Origen
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Async Remodels
Skee Mask - Compro
Stephan Bodzin - Liebe Ist..
St Germain - Boulevard
Suso Saiz - Nothing Is Obective
Tale Of Us - Endless
The Irresistible Force - It's Tomorrow Already
Trentemoller - The Last Resort
Nice selection, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Bruno Rivademar

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
To the actual music (some of my deep house favourites):

(If you never listened to the genre, i only selected a handful songs as, similar to classical music, each song is composed of several sections and there is an intended build-up in the music. Hence, I would encourage to listen to the entire length of the song before judging)
Just had a quick listen to a few of these tracks. Sorry, but music to me should be based on the output of musical instruments rather than just a computer. The monotonous "drum" thumping is (to me anyway) not really music at all and often not (for me anyway) enjoyable.

Having said that I enjoy quite a bit of what may be labelled as "electronica" by the streaming houses. I can listen to Bonobo (at least some of it), Chicane (actually not so sure after revisiting it today), 2WEI (that's more like "music") and a few others. For "ways to test your system", 2WEI and Ruelle are often my go-to artists. They seem to combine human voices with both musical and electronic instruments in acceptable and often impressive, exciting and even enjoyable ways! Some tracks such as 2WEI's Funeral March (from the Sequels album) can even be confused with "real" music! Play 2WEI and Ruelle (try her Madness album) obscenely LOUD, but maybe don't bother unless you have plenty of big bass drivers!

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Just had a quick listen to a few of these tracks. Sorry, but music to me should be based on the output of musical instruments rather than just a computer. The monotonous "drum" thumping is (to me anyway) not really music at all and often not (for me anyway) enjoyable.

Having said that I enjoy quite a bit of what may be labelled as "electronica" by the streaming houses. I can listen to Bonobo (at least some of it), Chicane (actually not so sure after revisiting it today), 2WEI (that's more like "music") and a few others. For "ways to test your system", 2WEI and Ruelle are often my go-to artists. They seem to combine human voices with both musical and electronic instruments in acceptable and often impressive, exciting and even enjoyable ways! Some tracks such as 2WEI's Funeral March (from the Sequels album) can even be confused with "real" music! Play 2WEI and Ruelle (try her Madness album) obscenely LOUD, but maybe don't bother unless you have plenty of big bass drivers!
Thank you for the recommendations. I’ll certainly check that out.
Regarding your comment about the tracks not considered music is a bit the problem of the industry to get more people involved into the world of high end audio i feel.. i don’t wanna convert a non-believer but you cannot quickly tune in to a song and decide it’s not music. Like any genre or drinking coffee for the first time, it’s an integration process to get adjusted. Half a billion humans celebrate this exact kind of music every year..
I am myself not a fanatic about it, it’s just one of the genres and part of life: If i go to the gym, it’s on, i go to the bar, it’s playing there, i turn on the radio in my car on Fridays, there’s some DJ playing some deep house or techno. Even restaurants are playing it. Maybe it’s a European thing. No hard feelings. Cheers

Last edited:

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’ve been listening to and collecting electronic music for 40 years and don’t really ascribe to the monotonous beat, more traditional Berlin schule type and the hundreds of off-shoots thereafter.
would be happy to recommend from my 4000+ collection!

Reactions: JeromeFrancis

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
I’ve been listening to and collecting electronic music for 40 years and don’t really ascribe to the monotonous beat, more traditional Berlin schule type and the hundreds of off-shoots thereafter.
would be happy to recommend from my 4000+ collection!
Great, happy to see some suggestions from your extensive library, that's what the thread is for. Thank you, J

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
There’s the obvious tangerine dream, Vangelis, Jean Michel jarre, klaus Schulze etc, then diversifying to Robert Schroeder, redshift, radio massacre international, Eric g, Peru, Gandalf, kitaro and the list goes on.
if you would like any specific recommendations or any more details, please drop me an email neilpage37@yahoo.com and more than happy to oblige

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm a Roland baby. Got into what is now called synth pop as an early teen, was DJing House by the 2nd Summer of Love. I went through many phases, longest was Trance until as they say "I became afraid of 140" LOL. Never was a fan of the brand of EDM popular in US festivals. I loved and still love pads and breaks over the abusive use of buildups and drops. LOL

These days I have been on a melodic house and tech binge since Beatport started the classification. You mentioned Solomun. I'm also into ArtBat, Anyma, CamelPhat basically the Afterlife gang who I had a chance to see at Hi towards the end of the season this year. I didn't get to go to Pacha so I missed Solomun. I did get to see Meduza (another current fave after catching his pandemic Iceland stream by Selected) and James Hype back to back at Ushuaia as they filled in for Guetta who caught a bug. Not sold on Future Rave but have not closed the book. Paradise closing at Amnesia was likewise fun. I had no idea Tom Jones' son was a DJ.

I listen today to a wide range of dance music from popular to big room but like I said I think my ticker can't really put up with anything more than 135. According to my Youtube Music 2023 recap, I listened to Black Coffee the most this year. Most of my electronic music listening is done in transit. I listen more to classical and jazz at home. Well except when I need to jumpstart a morning.

As far as testing a system's capabilities, playing Samsara at our recently concluded local HiEnd show, always brought the house down.

My top pick for 2023 is the Joezi remake of Neneh Cherry's 7 seconds.

Second spot goes to CamelPhat with Embers

Oldschool retro pick goes to Paul Van Dyk and his redo of this Depeche Mode classic

My daughter's pick from Billie Eilish , excellent for testing how a system can track vocal overdubs and effects

My wife and her friends really Like Sultan and Shepard, can't blame them. This is a lady pleaser for sure. Technically excellent filter play enhancing a simple four chord bed (one sustained every two measures) that serves as the foundation of the track.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh might as well post the track that one show goer referred to as shock and awe LOL on VSA Ultra 7s powered by a CH Precision 10 series stack and fronted by the Taiko Extreme through the CH C1.2 DAC running off a Stromtank S-2500. Atmospherics in spades and a baseline to really see how far your system can go before it breaks up and bites you. We did hit very close to club levels.

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
I'm a Roland baby. Got into what is now called synth pop as an early teen, was DJing House by the 2nd Summer of Love. I went through many phases, longest was Trance until as they say "I became afraid of 140" LOL. Never was a fan of the brand of EDM popular in US festivals. I loved and still love pads and breaks over the abusive use of buildups and drops. LOL

These days I have been on a melodic house and tech binge since Beatport started the classification. You mentioned Solomun. I'm also into ArtBat, Anyma, CamelPhat basically the Afterlife gang who I had a chance to see at Hi towards the end of the season this year. I didn't get to go to Pacha so I missed Solomun. I did get to see Meduza (another current fave after catching his pandemic Iceland stream by Selected) and James Hype back to back at Ushuaia as they filled in for Guetta who caught a bug. Not sold on Future Rave but have not closed the book. Paradise closing at Amnesia was likewise fun. I had no idea Tom Jones' son was a DJ.

I listen today to a wide range of dance music from popular to big room but like I said I think my ticker can't really put up with anything more than 135. According to my Youtube Music 2023 recap, I listened to Black Coffee the most this year. Most of my electronic music listening is done in transit. I listen more to classical and jazz at home. Well except when I need to jumpstart a morning.

As far as testing a system's capabilities, playing Samsara at our recently concluded local HiEnd show, always brought the house down.

My top pick for 2023 is the Joezi remake of Neneh Cherry's 7 seconds.

Second spot goes to CamelPhat with Embers

Oldschool retro pick goes to Paul Van Dyk and his redo of this Depeche Mode classic

My daughter's pick from Billie Eilish , excellent for testing how a system can track vocal overdubs and effects

My wife and her friends really Like Sultan and Shepard, can't blame them. This is a lady pleaser for sure. Technically excellent filter play enhancing a simple four chord bed (one sustained every two measures) that serves as the foundation of the track.

Thank you for sharing. Similar to you, most of my home listening consists of country, jazz, blues and folk. While training, driving, or performing above mentioned tedious tasks, I certainly enjoy putting on a Boiler Room set or Afterlife compilation. You are going to Ibiza every summer?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Closing the last two years. Will hit opening late April next year. I really like the Boiler Room sessions too. :)

Georgia Anguili is a guilty pleasure as she live samples using children's toys and an array of analog and digital synths and samplers. She was great opening for Pyramid.

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Closing the last two years. Will hit opening late April next year. I really like the Boiler Room sessions too. :)

Georgia Anguili is a guilty pleasure as she live samples using children's toys and an array of analog and digital synths and samplers. She was great opening for Pyramid.

Last I've been around 5 years ago with my wife. We hit mostly the pools/beach clubs (Nikki, Blue Marlin, Cotton etc.) except one night we went out to Amnesia to see Enrico Sangiuliano. Great night!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
They tell me that Ibiza is much more civilized now post pandemic hahahahaha I'm a relative newbie. I just tagged along with some friends who invested in the Amnesia Group. Then I took my wife this year. I am feeling too old for the late night to early morning bangers. For the beach clubs, O was fun as they play a lot of 90s and early 2000s music. Aside from that and Cotton, which was mainly for lunch I've yet to try those you've mentioned. We spent more days actually driving around or boating to Formentera. Peaceful stuff :)

Ushaia is probably what suits me best. Start at around 6 out before the rush at 10:30 and off to dinner. :D

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
They tell me that Ibiza is much more civilized now post pandemic hahahahaha I'm a relative newbie. I just tagged along with some friends who invested in the Amnesia Group. Then I took my wife this year. I am feeling too old for the late night to early morning bangers. For the beach clubs, O was fun as they play a lot of 90s and early 2000s music. Aside from that and Cotton, which was mainly for lunch I've yet to try those you've mentioned. We spent more days actually driving around or boating to Formentera. Peaceful stuff :)

Ushaia is probably what suits me best. Start at around 6 out before the rush at 10:30 and off to dinner. :D
That's the beauty about it. You have the party side which is pretty concentrated in the southeast around Ibiza town and then you have plenty of nature, beautiful beaches and wonderful restaurants (Amante for example). Ibiza's crowded with billionaires for a reason.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We made some friends from Mallorca and they said it's great there too. I love Spain! Music is great as soon as you get out of immigrations LOL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing