Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

PavelDosko

Feb 11, 2021
thank you for your opinion, unfortunately Rockna NET is a relatively old design (about 6 years) and is based on Roon, which does not suit me

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
What footers are you K50
owners using?

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
For you K50 or K40 owners, are you using an internal SSD and if so, was it a noticeable improvement over a NAS or other external source?

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
What footers are you K50
owners using?
I have a Symposium Foundation Ultra w/ the optional Rollerblock Module isolation and had some Rollerblock JR. HDSEs that I was using on the server it replaced, so I'm continuing to use these for the K50.

Reactions: Gjo

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
For you K50 or K40 owners, are you using an internal SSD and if so, was it a noticeable improvement over a NAS or other external source?
I streamed from a NAS for a long time and found that using internal drives sound better - first with HDD in a Melco N10 and now with the SSDs in my K50.

Reactions: Macattack

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
I have a Symposium Foundation Ultra w/ the optional Rollerblock Module isolation and had some Rollerblock JR. HDSEs that I was using on the server it replaced, so I'm continuing to use these for the K50.
Have you experimented without the Rollerblock module? Curious.

I have A/V RoomService EVPs and HRS Nimbus Couplers + Risers and will probably use one or the other simply because I already have them.

Reactions: skids929

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015

I have A/V RoomService EVPs and HRS Nimbus Couplers + Risers and will probably use one or the other simply because I already have them.
Well, the Rollerblock Modules in the rack are actually a part of each rack support, so essentially, each shelf in the rack is floating on Rollerblocks and I can't really remove those without taking the entire rack apart and putting it back together.

As I wrote previously, in addition to that, I'm using the Rollerblock JR. HDSEs under the K50 and the shelf it sits on.

To answer your question, no, I haven't removed the Rollerblock JRs to see if there is a sound difference.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Well, the Rollerblock Modules in the rack are actually a part of each rack support, so essentially, each shelf in the rack is floating on Rollerblocks and I can't really remove those without taking the entire rack apart and putting it back together.

As I wrote previously, in addition to that, I'm using the Rollerblock JR. HDSEs under the K50 and the shelf it sits on.

To answer your question, no, I haven't removed the Rollerblock JRs to see if there is a sound difference.
I didn’t realize the Symposium Foundation Ultra is a rack. I mistakenly thought it was a shelf/platform. Apologies for my rather ignorant reply.

Thanks for the info, though. I have some Rollerblock+ devices, but those are being used under my Esoteric disk player.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
I didn’t realize the Symposium Foundation Ultra is a rack. I mistakenly thought it was a shelf/platform. Apologies for my rather ignorant reply.

Thanks for the info, though. I have some Rollerblock+ devices, but those are being used under my Esoteric disk player.
No worries and not ignorant at all - there are way too many manufacturers and products to keep track of!

skids929

Dec 31, 2020

I am using the internal drive, Samsung EVO. I don't notice much difference between it and Roon Server/player

Last edited:
Reactions: Macattack and Gjo

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
What footers are you K50
owners using?

I am pondering if I should go with some in particular that existing owners seems to prefer with the k50. I have some of the Edensound sound dampening blocks in a box somewhere I may just throw them under it and see how it goes.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
I was using a Samsung P7 USB drive for local files. I didn’t notice any difference from Roon server/player.

I say was because I needed to send my K50 in for service because it wasn’t recognizing Samsung EVO SSD drives.

Last edited:

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
What footers are you K50
owners using?
I started out using Stillpoint Ultra SS and changed to the CMS CenterStage 2 1.0. I preferred the CMS footers, they had a more organic and natural sound.

Reactions: 2glory and Gjo

velcro22

Oct 7, 2020
Canada
What footers are you K50
owners using?
I use the Isoacoustic Orea Indigo on my Modulum rack. It cleaned up lots of the edges and made the sound more relaxed. Placement makes a difference. Initially I place them under the existing footer but I experienced better result in placing them directly under the box. Still experimenting on best location....definitely subtle changes, not night and day.

(pic below with the Isoacoustic on the original footer)
6BDAB94A-F0C4-4C2C-B9FD-4E75C82730FB.jpg

Last edited:

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Initially I place them under the existing footer but I experienced better result in placing them directly under the box. Still experimenting on best location....definitely subtle changes, not night and day.
Most footer instructions regardless of brand/model recommend placement directly contacting the chassis rather than a unit's footers, so your observation doesn't surprise me.

Have you tried moving the Orea Indigos so they're directly under the K50 power supplies (located in the front of the component)?
antipodes-musikserver-k50-schwarz-innen-840x697-1.jpeg

velcro22

Oct 7, 2020
Canada
Most footer instructions regardless of brand/model recommend placement directly contacting the chassis rather than a unit's footers, so your observation doesn't surprise me.

Have you tried moving the Orea Indigos so they're directly under the K50 power supplies (located in the front of the component)?
View attachment 88236
Outstanding! great tip definite and immediate improvement in tone and image position.

velcro22

Oct 7, 2020
Canada
On the K50, there is a set of Dip Switches under the case. Anyone has more details? I assume it is for the boot sequence and configuration but more details would be nice. Tks

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
On the K50, there is a set of Dip Switches under the case. Anyone has more details? I assume it is for the boot sequence and configuration but more details would be nice. Tks
From post #367 in this thread:
Due to the fact that there is no universally agreed to standard for I2S, the K50 has DIP switches at the bottom of the unit for easy access which allow users to change the combinations in order to get it to work with different components.

Reactions: velcro22

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
From post #367 in this thread:
Due to the fact that there is no universally agreed to standard for I2S, the K50 has DIP switches at the bottom of the unit for easy access which allow users to change the combinations in order to get it to work with different components.
And they come preset to work with the PSAudio standard

Reactions: Gjo and velcro22

skids929

Dec 31, 2020

I have A/V RoomService EVPs and HRS Nimbus Couplers + Risers and will probably use one or the other simply because I already have them.tvad

@tvad

Do you have the Nimbus Couplers under your K50? Which size risers did you get? I am kicking the tires on these right now just not alot of good feedback on them and the prices are high so would be great to hear something positive. Obviously I understand every system is different but thes design of these looks promising for alot of component types.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing