iFi Audio LAN iSilencer - The Official Thread

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am just guessing
But most of digital faults are manifested as noise. One way to deal with that is a filter
As always the efficacy of any given application is at issue. My iFi USB filter works great. IMO.

mtseymour

Dec 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Coo! Something else I don't need given I run LC/LC fiber straight from my ER to my Lumin P1. :p

Simpler is better.
With network audio, simpler is not always better. Like others, I've tried multiple switches or filters and ended up with better sound.

My initial configuration was router > Melco S100 > 25m single mode fiber optic > Lumin X1.

After much experimentation, my current configuration is more complex (unfortunately) but much more transparent and engaging:

router > LHY SW-10 switch (w Finisar SFP) > 25m single mode fiber optic > LHY SW-10 (w Finisar SFP) > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Network Acoustic Muon > Lumin X1

I actually didn't want the Muon to work (due to extra clutter & expense) but it improved the sound and is a keeper. My friend compared the SW-10 to the ER and also bought the former for its sound and connectivity.

Reactions: gdroy

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I got around to stacking the silencer and Defender. Color me confused. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Coctails and dreams - Coltrane Orchestra. Tidal Jazz-ified Pop 1280x1280 (11).jpg

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I'd like to thank iFi for the chance to try the Lan iSilencer. I've been running it for about a month. I have a lot of experience with streaming and computer audio. I used to develop computer based servers for Hi End Audio (VRS Revelation Music Server) from 2003 to 2012. I first discovered that ethernet affected sound quality around 2004, and began to look at galvanic isolation etc. I employed one of the first fiber optic bridges to break the electrical signal on a LAN for audio around 2004 as well. I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk switch with a Linear Power Supply (LPS) which goes to a fiber bridge with LPS (ethernet to fiber to ethernet) which feeds my Lumin U2 Mini with LPS and Nvidia Shield media streaming box which feed into my Holo Audio May KTE. I also apply a number of EMI/RFI reducing strategies on each piece of the system and use high quality CAT 8 cables. The bottom line is that I have a system with high resolution, that already deals with the noise that ethernet tends to generate.

I have used not just the iSilencer that iFi lent me, but I also purchased one from Amazon to see what multiple devices would affect. First I tried one directly into my Nvidia Shield and Lumin U2 Mini. The device sounded a bit rough, bright and grainy fresh out of the box, this went away after about 48 hours, and I left them in my system for 2 weeks before I did comparative listening. Lesson learned: don't judge the performance of the iSilencer until its had a few days to settle in.

Once they had been cooking for a couple of weeks I starting swapping it in and out of my Lumin and Shield. The difference was less glare on the top end, and a reduction of digital hash which I was not aware of before. The sound had an overall smoother, more relaxed, better balanced presentation. On a scale of 1-10 in terms of improvement I would say it was a 3. This is an excellent tweak for less than $100. I suspect it would make a larger difference on a standard network without all the trimmings like I have.

Adding a 2nd iSilencer to my system, I put it on the cable leading into my Netgear switch from my cable modem. This compounded the positive attributes I had experienced before, a bit more smooth and relaxed, and bit cleaner. I have more places to try the 2nd device, but it definitely added a bit of refinement higher up in my network. Its more of a "gilding the lily" kind of change, but IMHO it was worth it.

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Informative write-up, thanks. I'm wondering if the LAN Silencer would be of benefit between a Mac Mini Roon core computer and an Ethernet switch-? My current configuration is a Mac Mini in a "remote location" connected to an EtherREGEN (ER) via an Ethernet cable. I then run via LC/LC fiber out of ER directly into a Lumin P1 via it's SFP cage in the main audio rack in another room.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I'm wondering if the LAN Silencer would be of benefit between a Mac Mini Roon core computer and an Ethernet switch-?
I think that would be an ideal placement :)

Reactions: Puma Cat

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@Tuckers big thank you for trying out the LAN Silencer and sharing your experience. It means a lot coming from a person with your experience. We are glad to hear that you like it!

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
I now use an iFi Audio LAN iSilencer instead of a fiber optic setup.
Incredible upgrade for very little money.
The quietness in the sound is sublime.
And increased even further when using 2 pieces of iFi Audio LAN iSilencer at strategic locations.

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
I now use an iFi Audio LAN iSilencer instead of a fiber optic setup.
Incredible upgrade for very little money.
The quietness in the sound is sublime.
And increased even further when using 2 pieces of iFi Audio LAN iSilencer at strategic locations.
What positions do you use them in?

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
what measures / strategies are you using?
I achieved incredible results with the iFI LAN ISILENCER (in my setup!!!)
Previous setup:
“Dirty network” ==> Media converter ==> Fiber ==> SFP input Switch (cascade) (with LPS) ==> CAT 8 ==> Antipodes K50
(Dirty network => router and switch )

First step was :
“Dirty network” ==> ISilencer ==> Switch (cascade)(with LPS) ==> Antipodes K50
Second step was :
“Dirty network” ==> CAT5e ==> ISilencer1 ==> Switch (cascade) (with LPS) ==> CAT8 ==>ISilencer2 ==>Antipodes K50

Strategy was "keep noise away from K50 input"
My reference :
Streaming music stored on the ssd in the K50 with and without Ethernet connection (RJ45 connect/disconnect at the K50).

Without connection was the best sounding solution (the reference).

You can reduce the influence of Ethernet connection (distortion) by the degree of isolation.
Fiber seemed an improvement at first but also gave a certain turmoil (distortion).
One ISilencer was a big step up.
Second ISilencer even bigger.

I enjoy the music from SSD and from Qobuz so much more after this (relative cheap) update.
(Roon server and Squeeze player)

Keep in mind that these are my findings in my setup.

Reactions: jasond

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I achieved incredible results with the iFI LAN ISILENCER (in my setup!!!)
Previous setup:
“Dirty network” ==> Media converter ==> Fiber ==> SFP input Switch (cascade) (with LPS) ==> CAT 8 ==> Antipodes K50
(Dirty network => router and switch )

First step was :
“Dirty network” ==> ISilencer ==> Switch (cascade)(with LPS) ==> Antipodes K50
Second step was :
“Dirty network” ==> CAT5e ==> ISilencer1 ==> Switch (cascade) (with LPS) ==> CAT8 ==>ISilencer2 ==>Antipodes K50

Strategy was "keep noise away from K50 input"
My reference :
Streaming music stored on the ssd in the K50 with and without Ethernet connection (RJ45 connect/disconnect at the K50).

Without connection was the best sounding solution (the reference).

You can reduce the influence of Ethernet connection (distortion) by the degree of isolation.
Fiber seemed an improvement at first but also gave a certain turmoil (distortion).
One ISilencer was a big step up.
Second ISilencer even bigger.

I enjoy the music from SSD and from Qobuz so much more after this (relative cheap) update.
(Roon server and Squeeze player)

Keep in mind that these are my findings in my setup.
Thanks very much for using the iSilencer and posting your thoughts here, we are glad it's working out well for you, and appreciate the support!

Cheers!!

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
Well noted.
Delay line, Tesla coil filter (like Ansuz use) Am curious, too.
A fellow PCB designer told me that this is signal timing.

Last edited:

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
I have an Ifi Lan silencer on order.
What I have going on for the pathway is as follows:
1.Cable Modem in LHY LPS> (Marigo Audio PC)
2. BJ Cat 6a to Router on LPS> (LPS has Shunyata Black Mamba PC)
3. Netgear Switch on LPS> (Same LPS as above)
4. Cat 8 cable>
5. LHY Switch plugged into Shunyata Hydra with Shunyata Black Mamba PC>
6. Network Acoustics Eno Lan cable and Filter>
7. Aurender N200

I plan to place the iFi Lan filter at the endpoint into the last LHY Switch before the Network Acoustics Eno system.

I will ck back here with my results. If it works I may get another and stick it after the cable modem into the router.

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Purchased the Ifi LAN iSilencer after multiple positive reviews on diverse audiophile forums. Installed it between my router and first network switch. This device really works! Expanded soundstage, better imaging, less mid/high frequency harshness and increase in bass resolution. Sounded great immediately after plugging it on my router.

Also tried it directly at the input of my streamer with same results. I have placed a second order for an additional unit.

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Having tested various filters in a few different setups I can say the iFi LAN iSilencer is a great entry product into the segment of Ethernet filters. And it’s also great that more people can experience on their own with very little budget what impact an Ethernet filter will have on your setup.
If you would like to raise this to another level I can highly recommend the Network Acoustics Muon Pro filter.

PTCL

Apr 9, 2018
USA
I decided to try the LAN iSilencer because of informative feedback from Tuckers and Adimon. Both use two iSilencers. I have long reckoned that the most difficult music to reproduce is mass violins with plentiful overtones and harmonics. Even premium DACs have a hard time reproducing mass violins without harshness, glare, or thinness.

I bought an iSilencer and another a day later. I burned them in on an Ethernet cable for computer Internet access over 36 and 24 hours, respectively. They were moved to the two ends of an Ethernet cable between an MU-1 streamer and a noisy Ethernet powerline adapter into an electrical outlet.

I played the Musica Celestis track (24/352) of a string ensemble on 2L’s Magnificat album. I was amazed by the sound of this Grammy winner previously except for this track. I would skip it over for perceived glare. This transparent recording does not gloss things over. I replayed the track several times today because it became enjoyable. A very harsh track was the Moldau on Living Stereo’s Rhapsodies by Stokowski (DSD). This track has become listenable.

To quality, I used the Ethernet connection and iSilencers only for remote control and a Roon connection to the Internet. Music storage is on an internal drive. I cannot attest to the sound quality with Internet streaming from Tidal or Qobuz. I have seen complaints of dulled transients. So, YMMV.

www.alpha-audio.net/review/review-english-electric-ee1-network-filter/

The above review is interesting. The tested devices showed varying degrees of noise reduction. The reduction may result in various perceived improvements in sound. Unfortunately, iSilencer was not tested. One may still draw a parallel. I wish iFi would publish test results to refute cynicism.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing