Waversa EXT Reference and Reference PLUS

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016

Larger and heavier than the EXT-1, the EXT Reference series employs more advanced technology than the EXT-1, and the gains it provides are significantly greater. The Reference series has a model for each of LAN ethernet, USB, and three different Coax connections, RCA, BNC and AES/EBU. To give a sense of what the Reference is about, here are some excerpts from a post by one new owner in Europe on What's Best Forum:

I only listened to both filters for a short while and after I had recovered for the shock of the price differential [between EXT-1 and Reference], it was a no-contest decision. As I said, the Reference’s benefit was a wow. The sound stage was bigger, the control and tightness of the bass were impressive, with more detail and a lower noise floor. So clean and smooth... For its size it is surprisingly heavy. Over 3kgs. It feels good in the hand. ...more resolution of fine detail and speed/dynamics: more "alive" and bass is tighter and punchier.

EXT-1 2.jpg
EXT Reference

HiFi Club has also released a preliminary review of the EXT Reference series and highly recommends it. Read HIFI Club’s review of the EXT Reference, including test results, here:
https://www.kevalinaudio.com/_files/ugd/1d53ba_0301ffc5c6ed4cb8ae6e52bd21f6514e.pdf?index=true

The first North American professional review of the Waversa Digital Isolator series was published in October 2022.

"Getting the Harmonic Structure in Digital Streaming Done Right"
An excerpt from Stereo Times’ review
of the
EXT-1 and EXT Reference:

The improvements brought by the LAN EXT-1 and EXT Reference were heard and demonstrated. The impact of electromagnetic and impulse noise on the sound of digital systems is beyond what I ever imagined. Optimizing the position of these ground-breaking components is critical to experiencing their full effect. I know no other component that does what Waversa Systems does to improve network audio streaming.

Prior to the review, I was torn between adding another Ethernet switch with its cascading effect or adding a LAN filter. The overall cost and performance benefit of each approach must be considered. The LAN filter eliminates the need for another linear power supply, power cord, and DC cable to power the LAN switch, which in my system, would cost around $2100. The EXT Reference now becomes comparable in cost to a high-end Ethernet switch with all of its necessary accessories. I have chosen the Waversa EXT Reference to be an integral part of my digital streaming system and will nominate it for a Stereo Times Most Wanted Component award.
Highly recommended.

Mike Girardi, Stereo Times, October 2022 (http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/waversa-ext-reference-lan-filter-and-ethernet-cable/)

THE EXT REFERENCE PLUS

EXT Ref + 1.jpg

The Reference Plus is the top-of-the-line Waversa EXT digital noise isolator and is currently available for LAN Ethernet only. The Reference Plus boasts the most sophisticated application of Waversa’s proprietary technology, and the results are truly impressive. Customers are thrilled:

When I first saw reviews of the Waversa EXT it piqued my interest. When I called John Ketcham to inquire about the unit he noted that many users retained and purchased their units after being given a ‘test run’. John suggested that I try the Waversa EXT Reference Plus as it would be a good match for my DAC and streamer. The unit arrived in short order and was easily and quickly installed. Giving it the usual pause, I sat to listen expecting the usual hours of comparison of having to take the unit in and out of my Ethernet source. Boy was I surprised!

Within mere seconds there was an immediate and very noticeable difference. Not the usual ‘difference’ but a huge positive improvement in all areas. What I immediately noticed was better control and delineation of base, much wider soundstage with greater depth and instrument delineation and positioning. I should note, all of this is delivered in a totally natural way, without any hint of over emphasis or exaggeration. Totally real!

I never realized that the output of Ethernet could be so corrupted by RF and EMI and more importantly, have such a negative impact on the resulting sound. Astonishing! This single device has transformed my digital source. I can totally recommend the Waversa EXT Reference Plus without any hesitation. This is a truly remarkable product!

D. R.

The Reference plus is amazing! Somehow it removes 'digital' distortion (that I didn't hear before) ... increased tonal purity, lower noise floor and real 3-D.

D. A.

More playing around... Ref Plus is better than daisy chained References. How to describe it... everything a pair of Refs do but more "drive"(immediacy?), "attack", "richness" of harmonic structure of every instrument, separation of instruments and voices but keeping "musicality" - I've never had such a sense of musicians, stage, alive in front of me - 'like in the studio' says my drummer friend... with the addition of the Ref Plus the air in the room is alive with the vibrations of the instruments' wood, wire, brass - with the breathing presence of the vocalist(s). Absolutely lovely. Use the short Waversa in-house built cable for best result.

A single original isolator is a lovely enhancement; a single Reference builds on that, providing more air, separation, stage, articulate bass; daisy chained References more than double those effects, opening-up and enlivening everything; the Plus is transformative.

G. S.

Kevalin Audio is extremely pleased to make these exceptional, ground-breaking devices available to North American audiophiles.

READ MORE HERE!
Or
Contact John Ketcham at
KEVALIN AUDIO in the USA
info@kevalinaudio.com / 1-503–292–5592
In Canada:
Bob Suwary at WATCHDOG DIGITAL & ANALOG SOLUTIONS
rsuwary@rogers.com / 1-416-844-1072

Copyright Kevalin Audio 2023

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Big fan of the Waversa Ext Ref Plus which sits in between our Zanden Transport now and Zanden DAC. Remarkable. No change to the purity, tonality of the Zanden...but exception in removal of noise where suddenly an entire wave of detail, nuance and even dynamics is able to float up from the lowered noise floor.

Reactions: ctsooner

ctsooner

Jun 20, 2023
Big fan of the Waversa Ext Ref Plus which sits in between our Zanden Transport now and Zanden DAC. Remarkable. No change to the purity, tonality of the Zanden...but exception in removal of noise where suddenly an entire wave of detail, nuance and even dynamics is able to float up from the lowered noise floor.
Using the Ref unit and it does all of this. I’m sure the plus upgrade is even larger.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing