ifi Audio Hip-Dac v. Hip-dac2 v Hip-Dac Gold Limited edition

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Now that I have all three in house, I can do a comparison. Given the proximity in price this should not be critical unless you already own one of them it should not be critical. it could be a matter of what color you like best. In fact, if you listen while you run the ifi Audio Go-blue may be the best option.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Now that I have all three in house, I can do a comparison. Given the proximity in price this should not be critical unless you already own one of them it should not be critical. it could be a matter of what color you like best. In fact, if you listen while you run the ifi Audio Go-blue may be the best option.
What source are you using? I found the Zen Dac sounded better with my phone than the Zen Stream.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am using my Samsung Flip4. i think this is consistent with real world use.

Reactions: Rexp

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So far the ranking would be like moving ahead five seats in the concert hall. All three are musical with a progressive level of dynamics, detail, and tighter bass.
The Hip-Dac1 @ $150 is a vast improvement over the smartphone Dac. As we all know music is not even listenable for an audiophile.
Hip-Dac2 @ $190 cures many if not all the problems of the 1.
The Hip- Dac Gold @$200 is a greater refinement still.

Reactions: Rexp

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Hip-Dac 1
When paired with a headphone like the Sony wh1000x4 or the Bose QC35 the Hip -Dac 1 represents an excellent choice for the casual user. It represents such a vast improvement over a telephone /dac headamp combo.
Bass sells. In fact, bad bass sells. Many casual listeners don't mind or maybe prefer boomy bass. The Hip dac when pushed hard can break up. For those who are OC about linear response may prefer the Bose headphone. The Sony comes with a virtual equalizer and the Hip- dac has a bass button. Reasonable flatness can be achieved by use of those features. The overall sonic presentation can appear fuzzy when pushed hard. The one offfers little to complain about when operating within its' range.
Depending on your listening habits this may be sufficient for you. The one is still being made and should be available used. Mine is for sale. If you are buying the two and the gold are well within reach and may justify the additional cost.
Blue is my favorite color. The gold looks better, and orange/copper stands out in a crowd. The graphics on the latter two is more pronounced and more legible.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
HIP-DAC2
While the one is excellent match for ANC headphones, the two takes a step up to audiophile grade headphones eg nthe Meze 99 Classic. Bas s remains prominent but is much tighter. It is dynamic and can blow your eardrums if you aren't not careful. It has a button that allows you to switch to less efficient headphones. I recommend turning volume down when making adjustments. The two is much clearer and compatible with just about every digital format currently available.
The question is should you trade up to the two if you already own the one. By al means. Contact ifi Audio to see if they have a trade up option.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I was hoping for some surprises. Get the Gold unless of course you are a distance runner. Then get the Go-Blu. The Blu paired with IEM presents a negligible weight penalty.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The GOLD was on sale for$161. I snapped it up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing