Ideon Audio Absolute DAC - anyone heard it?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I read the IOn can be purchased with or without pre. 17k vs 22k

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
The top one is still called “Abdsolute” as well. It just has an Epsilon symbol after. As to whether it is worth the huge price jack is up to you.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
  • "New audio USB codec: ESS ES9080APRO (also in the Absolute ? DAC) used in our USB input module. A proprietary design deployed in our DAC. It’s the most current, state-of-the-art technology, with new codes reflecting today’s standards in comparison with similar 10-year-old chips/technologies, most often used. In close cooperation with ESS, a custom firmware was developed specifically for our USB input engine, to implement our design principles. The result; amazing, practically zero jitter, extremely low noise, super-fast processing, and extraordinary, natural sound quality."
Does someone know anything about this technology?
I found nothing about on the web.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
he only thing I fund is the
  • "New audio USB codec: ESS ES9080APRO (also in the Absolute ? DAC) used in our USB input module. A proprietary design deployed in our DAC. It’s the most current, state-of-the-art technology, with new codes reflecting today’s standards in comparison with similar 10-year-old chips/technologies, most often used. In close cooperation with ESS, a custom firmware was developed specifically for our USB input engine, to implement our design principles. The result; amazing, practically zero jitter, extremely low noise, super-fast processing, and extraordinary, natural sound quality."

Interesting question. The only thing I found is the data-sheet on Mouser, which doesn't help much:D. It's probably a parallel input destined to play real native DSD.

geoli

Sep 6, 2021
Athens, Greece
Hello everybody! Greetings from sunny Athens! This is George (Giorgos in Greek), co-founder and CEO of Ideon Audio. Thank you for your interest in our sound. We all are in synch, being music lovers first of all. We will be in Munich show (in both shows actually) and I will be very happy to meet in-person anyone visiting. :cool:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Hello everybody! Greetings from sunny Athens! This is George (Giorgos in Greek), co-founder and CEO of Ideon Audio. Thank you for your interest in our sound. We all are in synch, being music lovers first of all. We will be in Munich show (in both shows actually) and I will be very happy to meet in-person anyone visiting. :cool:

Thank you and welcome here,

which Ideon devices will be on demo at HE Munich (MOC) and what will be the complete set-up?

Matt

Last edited:

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Salut, George and welcome on board! I think you will find WBF a very interesting and civilised community!

Reactions: geoli

geoli

Sep 6, 2021
Athens, Greece
Thank you,

which Ideon devices will be on demo at HE Munich (MOC) and what will be the complete set-up?

Matt
Hello Matthias !
In MOC we will be in Hall 2 F14 (H2 F14). No music there, just displaying all of our products.

In HiFi Deluxe, Munich Marriott Hotel - room 118, we will have our full system playing music.
- Absolute DAC + Absolute Stream + Absolute Time
- The new I?N DAC
- And unveiling Project ENA Speakers. The final prototype of this innovative speaker (a nice surprise I hope!) will be the main speaker for this room.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Hello Matthias !
In MOC we will be in Hall 2 F14 (H2 F14). No music there, just displaying all of our products.

In HiFi Deluxe, Munich Marriott Hotel - room 118, we will have our full system playing music.
- Absolute DAC + Absolute Stream + Absolute Time
- The new I?N DAC
- And unveiling Project ENA Speakers. The final prototype of this innovative speaker (a nice surprise I hope!) will be the main speaker for this room.
Thanks,
please can you share some info about your new USB implementation (see my post #84)
Thanks again

Matt

geoli

Sep 6, 2021
Athens, Greece
We are referring to the new ESS ES9080APRO chip which is a state of the art (the greatest sounding actually) dedicated solution for a USB receiver. It's fantastic, because it offers zero latency and practically zero jitter and extremely fast-processing. We have a dedicated driver for it, so it's a combination of hardware and firmware. It is day and night improvement over older chips (mainly one chip - don't want to name it - that most DAC manufacturers use. We never used it as in our listening tests was not up to our standards sounding wise, and until this new ESS chip was out, we were using something else, also being outdated but good sounding.). This technology used in the Absolute DAC and in our new I?N DAC offers extremely low noise and almost zero jitter, resulting to a very natural, fatigue free, yet super detailed sound. This is even more evident to large files (like DSD),

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
This technology used in the Absolute DAC and in our new I?N DAC offers extremely low noise and almost zero jitter, resulting to a very natural, fatigue free, yet super detailed sound.
Do you have any plans to offer this tech also for the Ayazi or maybe its successor?
Thanks

Matt

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Yes, it will be offered to Ayazi's successor ! It will be in all of our designs from now and on.
This is extremely interesting!
When will Ayazi's successor be launched?
Thanks

Matt

Last edited:

geoli

Sep 6, 2021
Athens, Greece
Thanks, this is extremely interesting!
When will Ayazi's successor be launched?

Matt
The Ayazi will remain in production, being a great sounding DAC for many people.
By successor I mean a new DAC that we are in the process of designing which will be placed between the Ayazi and the I?N. Together we will introduce a new Streamer (same league) and a re-clocker (which will be an enhancement of the Master Time).
Our aim is to come up with another trio (DAC, Stream & re-clocker) in a price level attainable for many people.
The new Stream and the re-clocker) will be the first to be introduced (I hope in 2-3 months) and the DAC will follow before end of this year. That's what we can tell at the moment.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: matthias

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
We are referring to the new ESS ES9080APRO chip which is a state of the art (the greatest sounding actually) dedicated solution for a USB receiver.

Sorry, I didn't find anything about this chip on the ESSTECH homepage or on the web.
AFAIK, there does not seem to be an ESS chip which works as a pure USB receiver chip like XMOS etc.
Please, can you provide some clarification, maybe a link?
Thank you

Matt

Last edited:

geoli

Sep 6, 2021
Athens, Greece
Sorry, I didn't find anything about this chip on the ESSTECH homepage or on the web.
AFAIK, there does not seem to be an ESS chip which works as a pure USB receiver chip like XMOS etc.
Please, can you provide some clarification, maybe a link?
Thank you

Matt
Here is the link https://www.esstech.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/ES9281A_80A_PRO-Product-Brief-v0.2.5.pdf

We use it as a dedicated USB receiver chip, it is excellent on that. All other functions are stripped out.

Reactions: matthias

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
We use it as a dedicated USB receiver chip, it is excellent on that. All other functions are stripped out.

This makes sense, otoh I am just wondering why ESSTECH then do not have a dedicated chip as a pure USB receiver (without DAC) like their competitors.

Matt

Last edited:

geoli

Sep 6, 2021
Athens, Greece
This makes sense, otoh I am just wondering why ESSTECH then do not have a dedicated chip as a pure USB receiver (without DAC) like their competitors.

Matt
With this one it's like having. You can use whatever you want from the features. It's more efficient for them this way. But anyway, these technical things don't really mater in terms of decisions. Technology matters only because of bringing the best sound.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I heard the Ideon at AXPONA and enjoyed the system very much But I knew nothing of the rest of the Equipment. I am going to Munich next week with a handful of my favorite tunes on my trusty Thumb drive.

Maybe Giorgos and Michael can host me after hours so I can get a better measure of the Ideon Ultimate and report back.

Kerry Legeard
Music First.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICUToo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing