Ideon Audio Absolute DAC - anyone heard it?

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
I was sent the Ideon Absolute and Absolute Time to review and initial observations it presents extremely well in a configuration that’s uses an Aurender N20.

Out of the box, without the clock hooked up it appeared pretty obvious this is an amazing DAC, but I was in a rush to make a meeting so I let the DAC without the re/clock run all day.

Getting back later that day, my brief assessment was correct it’s revealing a much cleaner presentation of the music, and with a lower noise floor allowing much detail and timbre around notes and instruments - all sounding very clean and natural. This solid billet tank weighs 60 pounds, and I love the look of it with a fat dial and large screen display, though I generally turn off all screens.

I then added the Absolute Time re/clock, a first for me which added more refinement to what I was describing above. I have always been of mind to keep the signal in a direct path. Ideon does sell a streamer, but I do not know anything about it to comment but hear good things.

The DAC does present positive characteristics and traits in comparison to other high league DACs I am very familiar with. While I'm initially impressed it was under medium to high level level listening so I do want to critically listen and dig deeper to my reference tracks without disturbance and see what is missing or gained and will get into this more over the weeks ahead.

Audio IMO is all about comprises. I will report more in the days ahead.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I was sent the Ideon Absolute and Absolute Time to review and initial observations it presents extremely well in a configuration that’s uses an Aurender N20.

Audio IMO is all about comprises. I will report more in the days ahead.
Looking forward to your further impressions.
A couple of years ago I auditioned an Absolute alone and I was pleasantly surprised (amazed, even). No doubt, yours is the newer iteration.
Presumably you were sent broken in samples (or maybe that isn't an issue)?

Last edited:

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Ideon Follow Up:

I was sent for consideration The Ideon Absolute DAC and the optional Ideon Absolute Time, a reclocker to take it for a test spin. (There is also the optional Ideon Stream, an audio grade streamer and server, though was not available at the time.)

I first installed the DAC by itself for a few days to get a feel for its sonic signature. I connected The DAC into a Constellation preamp via XLR. Note: Ideon recommends the use of a preamp to bring the most from its design, and this is fine with me, IMO there is no substitute for a preamp. The DAC alone with its digital attenuator is extremely capable and its architecture towards really does hold its own awakening me as for me this is not a preferred connection.

A few days later I added the Absolute Time, a digital reclocker that really puts the icing on the cake, it literally will leave you spellbound and this is out the gate before settling and burning in. Connections are made using USB.

I’ve had the experience of hearing a lot of DACs in optimal situations to really understand what a good player will do for digital. I never ran with reclockers or master clocks, believing the straightest path is not to alter the signal.

Ideon comes out the gate with majestic imaging, detail, and an overall lively sound, there are no buts or compromises. Be warned the Absolutes noise floor is extremely low, you will reach for your preamps remote to reduce the gain.

With Ideon, the music’s sonic character plays deeper, richer, and fuller - there is the natural feel of body and texture with little to no hint of coloration in its digital to analog conversion.

Stringed instruments, percussion, and undertones of the piano are imaged with clarity, body, and weight revealing an amazing layer of detail within the music. Bass presents tight and well-defined. The upper midrange and vocals go deep and are extremely resolving and not in a clinical way making it sound artificial. The sound quality out the gate is so good, the best way to describe it is to think first row, dead center seating at the best venue. What’s even more interesting is I’m hearing all these lovely toe-tapping sounds without using the Absolute Stream (streamer/server), and knowing audio has no end road, I couldn’t help but wonder what The Stream making the Ideon group into a Trifecta would contribute.

Even without the reclocker, the DAC is truly amazing, but I will warn you now, once you hear the DAC with the reclocker you will simply want it, it’s so obvious.

There are 7 filter options, and my preference is the Fast Roll Off Minimum but the changes between the filters seem subtle, I will have to play more with this to understand it better.

If you’re looking to update your digital performance, I recommend Ideon be on your shortlist.

Front End Configuration:

N20 > Intona Ultimate USB > Ideon Absolute Time Reference > Intona Ultimate USB into Ideon Absolute DAC - Analog out with Bocchino Mayflower XLR > Constellation Pictor with DC Blocker

All power is with AudioQuest Dragon Power Cables and the StromTank S1000 supporting the front end. (Power cables are way over what is needed with the StromTank.)

I enjoyed this so much, I had to have it in our lines, this is one piece that you simply add to a high-performance setup and just listen and enjoy. This is not a bargain basement component, you’ll have to pay to play but it’s modular for hardware updates and software upgradeable.

All the Best!

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Looking forward to your further impressions.
A couple of years ago I auditioned an Absolute alone and I was pleasantly surprised (amazed, even). No doubt, yours is the newer iteration.
Presumably you were sent broken in samples (or maybe that isn't an issue)?
Yes, this is a newer unit, albeit a broken in demo, the reclocker was brand new.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Thanks for taking the time for this write up. I have been intrigued by this piece ever since I heard it next to my Select II a few years back (pre Covid; is this is how we'll be marking time heretofore?).
Improved finances permitting I will be upgrading my DAC, and the Absolute seems to be topping my very short list.

Did you find the presence of the Time indispensable, or is the stand-alone experience good enough to keep one going for a while?

I have a couple of Ideon's own cheapo 3R reclockers and could perhaps use those for a while...

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Thanks for taking the time for this write up. I have been intrigued by this piece ever since I heard it next to my Select II a few years back (pre Covid; is this is how we'll be marking time heretofore?).
Improved finances permitting I will be upgrading my DAC, and the Absolute seems to be topping my very short list.

Did you find the presence of the Time indispensable, or is the stand-alone experience good enough to keep one going for a while?

I have a couple of Ideon's own cheapo 3R reclockers and could perhaps use those for a while...
Your welcome. You can ride without it, but now you are aware of it, and well you know how that goes...

Reactions: lordcloud

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI

Ideon better than select 2 MSB, I doubt it.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
ONE must consider what is wanted or liked . all i can say is as i walked into the ideon room not knowing what was inside , i heard music pleasing my brain . i try not to look what's inside first as we each have burned in preferences. so to me not knowing is a far better honest visit , how many love a certain setup from past show . then get our heads spun around trying to figure out is this ok or is this bad . pre disposition is a bad thing for me anyway . when i seen the wadax setup last time my first impression was wow this is way cool looking . i cant even tell you what it sounded like honestly . the kharma room proves this to me . no idea but man music wonderful music was playing . analog only .
I'm making no claim on best of show digital but to me clearly it was # 2 0r 3 room . the size of the room and setup is very influential to me . a smaller room with great sound is more impressive then a large room same sound type . at shows intimacy matters unless its at a grand mega scale like the VAC/VON room on esoteric stack wow what a room .

Reactions: Audire and Golum

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Why not? Because it is cheaper?
price agnostics takes hard work to admit to , high price stuff one might never buy is easy to pick at but also still makes you want it . i had no idea how much the wadax was lol , if i did ill bet i would have paid far more attention . i cant wait to hear a 1/4 mil stack at A SHOW . ill bet i love it even if not playing music . what really scares me is in some ways i feel im not qualified to spend that much or know its better then the rest . but soo many times i hear expensive audio just horrible and still no ones says anything . so im not an industry expert but i do know what i like that mostly is correct to many still .

Reactions: Golum

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Ideon better than select 2 MSB, I doubt it.
Interesting comment, Jeffy.
What inspirred it (other than that I may be deaf;) )?

Reactions: Golum

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Nice vid with the Absolute:

Matt

Reactions: Gregm

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I’m saying I doubt the Ideon would be more favorable in my system.
Maybe you should update the ABOUT section in your profile, the Bricasti is listed there.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No I’m not doubting what you heard or like. I’m saying I doubt the Ideon would be more favorable in my system.

Why?

Reactions: matthias

caesar

May 30, 2010
My understanding is this DAC is both a dCS vivaldi and MSB select ii killer, by those who tried in their systems.

Wadax killer also?

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
My understanding is this DAC is both a dCS vivaldi and MSB select ii killer, by those who tried in their systems.

Wadax killer also?

"Killer" is too strong a word for me, but when I heard it compared to my Select way back when, I preferred it. In short and subjectively speaking, I felt the Absolute was punchier, crispier and more dynamic than my excellent Select.
Both were early iterations.
Have never listened to a Wadax and I have had underwhelming experience with dCS -- through no fault of the dCS I'm sure (i.e. poorly set up systems, sounding mediocre through all sources).

Reactions: Audire

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing