Ideon Audio Absolute DAC - anyone heard it?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I felt the Absolute was punchier, crispier and more dynamic than my excellent Select.

Looking forward to listen to the Absolute at High End Munich in May.
Maybe they will be presenting there also the new line of devices between the Master and Absolute series.

Matt

Last edited:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
They just raised the price on this dac significantly.... Was looking into it, but got turned off by that.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
They just raised the price on this dac significantly.... Was looking into it, but got turned off by that.
Probably they think a DAC under 30k is not a serious contender.......
How much is it now?

Reactions: Alrainbow

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
47k, and I walk away….

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
47k, and I walk away….
Interesting.
Indeed, 47k is nothing to sneer at -- but then, where I come from, nor is 30k. However, neither of these compare to over 100k for a Select or over 200k for the big Wadax.
BTW, some time ago someone mentioned that they have a cheaper model coming out -- or it is already out?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Interesting.
Indeed, 47k is nothing to sneer at -- but then, where I come from, nor is 30k. However, neither of these compare to over 100k for a Select or over 200k for the big Wadax.
BTW, some time ago someone mentioned that they have a cheaper model coming out -- or it is already out?

The prices of some DACs are really over the top.
Possibly they will launch in Munich their new line of devices between the Master and Absolute range.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I thought the Ideon a great DAC, but when they were similar prices I still preferred Lampi Pacific, so bought that. With the big price discrepancy it would be a much easier decision.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Interesting.
Yes. They are releasing a mid-tier dac. But raising the price of this one is distasteful to me at this early stage in the life of a brand. 30 k is no joke, but 47 for a new kid in the neighborhood is no go. I would take an Esoteric or Lampi Horizon at this price....

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
But raising the price of this one is distasteful to me at this early stage in the life of a brand. 30 k is no joke, but 47 for a new kid in the neighborhood is no go.
Agree,
and the costs for producing this DAC in Greece are certainly much lower than in the UK, Germany or Switzerland.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Possibly they will launch in Munich their new line of devices between the Master and Absolute range.
You were spot on: they announced the new product (''Ion"), due to appear in Munich (and Axpona)

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
There may some confusion here with the Ideon product names, the previous model was the Absolute and it was priced at $35K, the chassis design does look similar to the Epsilon which is the new model that retails for $47K. The Epsilon is not an upgrade to the Absolute, it is an entirely new DAC. Everything from the chip, firmware, software, and transformers are all of the new design, also, the old model did not play native DSD, the Epsilon now plays native DSD in all formats - hope this helps.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
So is the new Ion the equivalent of the absolute?

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Will it be shown at axpona ? Hope so was a great Digital room last show
Yes the complete Suite. Epsilon DAC, Stream and Time as well as the new ION DAC all shown in the Aster Presidential suite.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
So is the new Ion the equivalent of the absolute?
From my understanding it was architected from what was learned from the absolute, and at half the cost. I have not heard this and supposed to late May early June.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I’m here at Axpona looking forward to hearing the big Ideon.

I read the glowing Absolute Sound Ideon (Absolute) Epsilon dac + streamer + clock review in this months issue. Harley liked it, but wussed out, with not one word of Wadax compare. these products had to overlap in his system. Fremer never would have done that.

i'm sure dealers and manufacturers alike are happy. :p :rolleyes:

naming nomenclatures can sometimes confound; to be precise; Absolute Sound calls the dac the Ideon Absolute Epsilon Dac, call the streamer the Absolute Stream, and calls the clock the Absolute Time Master.

Last edited:

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
There may some confusion here with the Ideon product names, the previous model was the Absolute and it was priced at $35K, the chassis design does look similar to the Epsilon which is the new model that retails for $47K. The Epsilon is not an upgrade to the Absolute, it is an entirely new DAC. Everything from the chip, firmware, software, and transformers are all of the new design, also, the old model did not play native DSD, the Epsilon now plays native DSD in all formats - hope this helps.
Makes sense. Thanks for clearing the matter.

Reactions: Ultrafast69

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I(...) Harley liked it, but wussed out, with not one word of Wadax compare. these products had to overlap in his system. Fremer never would have done that.
Indeed, couldn't agree more!
It will be interesting to have your take on the Ideon suite, even though the venue is hardly conducive to serious listening.
Given your extensive experience, however, I imagine it is easy for you to make allowances for that shortcoming.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
From my understanding it was architected from what was learned from the absolute, and at half the cost. I have not heard this and supposed to late May early June.

According to an interview with a greek hifi magazine the Ion is a DAC with integrated preamp at a lower level than the Absolute.
They mentioned further three upcoming products between the Master and Absolute series, a streamer, reclocker and DAC.
Then they announced an TOTL analog preamp for the Absolute series.

Matt

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
In my case a DAC-only version would make more sense.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing