How much are you willing to pay for interconnect cable?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
About $5. That gets you totl monoprice!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I’d suggest you should only spend as much on cables as your system allows you to appreciate... and this may be something of a moving target, much like anyone who actually posts in a thread on the value in cables. It’s just whatever makes you happy really.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I’d suggest you should only spend as much on cables as your system allows you to appreciate... and this may be something of a moving target, much like anyone who actually posts in a thread on the value in cables. It’s whatever makes you happy really.
I will use 10-20% of the value of the equipment to connect on the cables.

So if I have 200,000$ amplifiers then I may buy this interconnect cable if I like the synergy with amp.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Power and cables are the foundation for your system. So you should get the best you can afford, and then add the gear. If you have good power and cables then you can upgrade the gear, but stay with the same cables. Otherwise you will be constantly upgrading everything. Of course, this all applies to how much discretionary income you have to spend on stereo gear.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I will use 10-20% of the value of the equipment to connect on the cables.

So if I have 200,000$ amplifiers then I may buy this interconnect cable if I like the synergy with amp.

Does sound quality have such a tight correlation with price?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Does sound quality have such a tight correlation with price?
Not proportional to the price.

I had been happy with Audio note interconnects and speaker cables which are silver plated.

They were pretty expensive about 2k$ for IC and 3K$ for SC 18 years ago.

I compared them with Purist Audio Design cables which cost little bit more at that time.

Purist Audio Design made sound euphonic but I found them somewhat artificial.

But Audio note cables excel in overall balance, details and speed.

Thus it was hard to replace them.

So I had kept them for more than 18 years.

On the other hand power cables and digital cables keep improving as times go by.

So I had changed power cables and digital cables 4 times for the last 20 years.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
ZenWave is what I consider the top of budget currently. I haven’t seen anything over that has any technical advantages, and many that are just weird sounding.

BJC is garbage for IC’s that are single ended. I wish that they were as legit as their following, but they sound bad, ruin your jacks, and fail often. I’ve had enough to know.

Reactions: christoph and DaveC

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
ZenWave is what I consider the top of budget currently. I haven’t seen anything over that has any technical advantages, and many that are just weird sounding.

BJC is garbage for IC’s that are single ended. I wish that they were as legit as their following, but they sound bad, ruin your jacks, and fail often. I’ve had enough to know.
New #12
Hi Folsom

What does BJC mean?

I had never heard Zenwave but it's name is somewhat mystic.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Blue Jeans Cables. They sell really nice stuff except the single ended IC's. You can get any length of lots of things. Respectful business, 1 bad product...........................................
The Blue Jeans Cable single ended, unbalanced RCA coax cable, the LC-1 is the best cable available!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There is such a markup on cables. I've paid as low as 18% of the MSRP of these cables. It's ridiculous!!

Reactions: DaveC

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
There is such a markup on cables. I've paid as low as 18% of the MSRP of these cables. It's ridiculous!!

Yes that is quite believable. Cables are a highly competitive segment and some manufacturers include as much as a 75% dealer sales margin to incentivise dealers into pushing their product line ahead of competing brands. Even with 50% discount, both dealer and customer feel like they have had a good deal.

At 18% of list, the dealer likely obtained a further discount for demo goods. That said, it is pretty much implicit that the original list price was at a BS level and you didn’t exactly handover loose change.

Reactions: tima and DaveC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Yup.

However, the correlation people make with MSRP being related to quality is unassailable. Even if people agree that higher price doesn't always mean better performance there is no doubt that their ingrained belief system still clings to this axiom. It may be unconscious and/or purely emotional but it's the truth for a huge majority of people regardless of intelligence or how adamantly they may claim otherwise.

And as far as sales via dealers, they are all used to cables being the "gravy train". It's like car dealers and their add-on accessories. Those $150 wheel locks cost $25 at the local auto parts store.

My cables cost about 1/3rd to 1/5th vs other companies who sell cables using wire and plugs from the exact same companies I do, yet it's very difficult to convince people to even give them a try with a 30 day free demo. Even with excellent reviews and many, many claims that they are even better vs my "competition"... even after 6 years of being in business without a bad word being said anywhere, and AFAIK every single one of my customers being happy. Maybe it's the lack of fancy packaging, glossy color brochures and 6-figure ad placements in stereophile?

IME, people lament the "unfair" markups but then they buy those same products anyways, even given an alternative with fair markups. ;) Given this very interesting phenomenon, I wouldn't expect to see a change anytime soon! It make me want to shift to a dealer-sale model to be honest, or at least start another brand that sells via distributors and dealers.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Yup.

However, the correlation people make with MSRP being related to quality is unassailable. Even if people agree that higher price doesn't always mean better performance there is no doubt that their ingrained belief system still clings to this axiom. It may be unconscious and/or purely emotional but it's the truth for a huge majority of people regardless of intelligence or how adamantly they may claim otherwise.

And as far as sales via dealers, they are all used to cables being the "gravy train". It's like car dealers and their add-on accessories. Those $150 wheel locks cost $25 at the local auto parts store.

My cables cost about 1/3rd to 1/5th vs other companies who sell cables using wire and plugs from the exact same companies I do, yet it's very difficult to convince people to even give them a try with a 30 day free demo. Even with excellent reviews and many, many claims that they are even better vs my "competition"... even after 6 years of being in business without a bad word being said anywhere, and AFAIK every single one of my customers being happy. Maybe it's the lack of fancy packaging, glossy color brochures and 6-figure ad placements in stereophile?

IME, people lament the "unfair" markups but then they buy those same products anyways, even given an alternative with fair markups. ;) Given this very interesting phenomenon, I wouldn't expect to see a change anytime soon! It make me want to shift to a dealer-sale model to be honest, or at least start another brand that sells via distributors and dealers.

DAVE C, If you're successful from your current marketing please don't join the 'dealer' route as it will impact your whole paradigm. Sadly a quote I believe is "Perception is Reality" to many. BTW, I am wanting to buy a set of D4 ICs from you after recovering from the holiday spending.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Wise words DaveC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing