How do you know what you want from your audio system?

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
How do you know what you want from your audio system?

I can tell the difference between a saxophone and a kazoo. That’s sufficient for me to rule out a lot of systems out there :) Slight exaggeration...

I also value simplicity!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tim Link and Amir

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Tima makes some very articulated comments I totally agree with.
if it gets you there your there , to me mood wins
If I’m stressed it’s a bad time to listen in a critical fashion. but if I do listen and wait mood gets better and so does sound.
early morning or even when I wake up at 2am and can’t go back to sleep is a great time to play music
in nyc I’m alone and my place is very isolated you can’t hear from above or outside
these times get me there in ways I think this thread is about.
driving my new Cadillac Bose system gets me there too. it’s a total dsp illusion but no system is real so does it matter. ?
what ever there doing to the sound really makes me feel better
sounds I’ve never heard on songs I know for most of my life.
Eq witch I think is taboo to the tenth power for most is a way to hear mixing never heard before.
I don’t know or care what the person making the track wanted me to hear. but I do agree what’s correct should be a start or part of it.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Tima makes some very articulated comments I totally agree with.
if it gets you there your there , to me mood wins
If I’m stressed it’s a bad time to listen in a critical fashion. but if I do listen and wait mood gets better and so does sound.
early morning or even when I wake up at 2am and can’t go back to sleep is a great time to play music
in nyc I’m alone and my place is very isolated you can’t hear from above or outside
these times get me there in ways I think this thread is about.
driving my new Cadillac Bose system gets me there too. it’s a total dsp illusion but no system is real so does it matter. ?
what ever there doing to the sound really makes me feel better
sounds I’ve never heard on songs I know for most of my life.
Eq witch I think is taboo to the tenth power for most is a way to hear mixing never heard before.
I don’t know or care what the person making the track wanted me to hear. but I do agree what’s correct should be a start or part of it.
I agree with you. "If it gets you there" is my go-to method of evaluating systems. Sometimes you get the chills, sometimes you don't I wish you all the former ;)

Reactions: Tim Link

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing