How do you get rid of multiple viruses?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sure. If you hold the power button down for a few seconds, the system will shut down. Of course you will lose any unsaved work in your applications but your system should survive it.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Sure. If you hold the power button down for a few seconds, the system will shut down. Of course you will lose any unsaved work in your applications but your system should survive it.

Then doesn't that seem like a pretty good default when you see something suspicious? I understand that open apps will lose anything you entered, but that's better than crashing/infecting your computer!

Lee

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Then doesn't that seem like a pretty good default when you see something suspicious?

No! It should be viewed, IMHO, more as a last resort.

I don't want to get too technical here, but turning off the power like that might result in file system corruption. That's much less likely to happen if the file system is quiescent, but if it occurs in the middle of meta data updates, bad things could happen.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Back up all your important files, wipe the drive and reload all your software. It's a pain in the arse but I had to do that last summer after a similar experience. Good luck.

ps...or just go out and buy a MAC

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
OK, the latest!

I just turned my computer ON about 30 minutes ago or so.
The first thing that appeared was: Your computer has just recovered from a major 'problem'!
Click here to find out more! 1. ... 2. ... 3. ... Then section B) 1. ... 2. ... ............... ...... .......

I clicked and it said: You are seeing this because of a (Blue screen) error.
Steps to follow...

* This is the third time now in about a week that I see that message!!!
They talk about viruses and malwares, blah blah blah...

I never have that type of problems before about a week ago! What the heck is going on???
For your info, my PC has Antivirus plus another anti-wall climb, or whatever you guys call it!

Who's doing that? I can sense someone's trying to 'screw' with my computer in order to perhaps gather personal information!
My PC is still working as it protected itself now three times in one week; but it is still very annoying and somehow it is acting differently than in the past about few features and the way it operates!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Here's the info screen that I got after clicking to find out more about:

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Responses.aspx/
* Sorry, I cannot reproduce it!

It says: Stop (blue screen) error caused by a device or a driver.

Then many steps for trying to get rid of the problem, or infested PC from a program or whatever!

One section, very near the bottom, after many many many options with several steps that will make you a guru computer expert, says to restart your PC in "Safe Mode", and then like Amir said before, to press repeatedly the key F8; & then by using your arrows, point to [Safe Mode] and press "Enter".

The first section, like Amir also said before, is to make sure that you have all the Microsoft latest upgrades!
I checked on that, and one program it says to click there, but then it also says that it might not be safe!
This is totally confusing to say the least!

* If this would be my very 1st time with a PC, I would probably click anywhere; but now I'm afraid to take steps in fear of losing data!

But I am now at a point of almost no return, so I will have to be brave and take actions no matter the consequences!
Or better yet, I will call Microsoft technical customer service dept. and ask for direct assistance by letting them take control over my PC! ...So they can isolate those malwares, viruses, trojans, etc. and find out which program is to blame.
I just don't know NOTHING myself! Did I do something wrong before? Did someone else, or a program went berserk? I just don't know!

Last edited:

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Who's doing that? I can sense someone's trying to 'screw' with my computer in order to perhaps gather personal information!
My PC is still working as it protected itself now three times in one week; but it is still very annoying and somehow it is acting differently than in the past about few features and the way it operates!

Once your machine is as badly infected as yours seems to be, the safest course of action is to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS from scratch. At least that way you'll be starting from a known-to-be-clean machine. No matter much virus cleaning software you run now, you can't be 100% sure that every little issue has been stomped on.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Did you guys not follow the whole thread? Or maybe you know something we don't? Or maybe you live on the river in Egypt?

Busted...waterfront property on the Nile. Damn, you are good!

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Condo made of stona eh Lee?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It is of epidemic proportion, the entire neighborhood is infested!
...Must have some' to do with near the end of 2012 approaching fast! :)

Seriously though, things seem better now, and just a phone call will help (Microsoft assistance),
or my local Internet service provider.

Thanks Bill, and as long that I can communicate with you and all the people that shared their feedbacks, I'm good to go!
- The day that you won't see me anymore is the day that my computer ... :(;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing