Horns....Avantgarde vs. Cessaro

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hello folks - these seem like two of the most prominent horn manufacturers in the world. How do they sound different or which do your prefer?

Thank you,

KeithR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Each model of theirs sounds different, so which model?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I've never heard a Cessaro I've even vaguely liked.

I've never heard an AG I haven't liked to a greater or lesser extent.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello folks - these seem like two of the most prominent horn manufacturers in the world. How do they sound different or which do your prefer?

Thank you,

KeithR

Prefer Odeon and Horns Universum to either but I have heard AG sound quite good in some setups. Still waiting for Cessaro to deliver...

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Good question. Unos and Duos on AG, < 100k Cessaro which is Wagner and?

Yes, I know you only like Trios. But I think XD solves a lot of woes you had with Duos.
We have aproached this topic in the other thread ( a very satisfied owner of Cessaro shared his impressions)
I did not have the chance to listen to good setup of Cessaro and was always disappointed
like User211 with their presentations in opposition to their built quality which is impressive indeed.
I think they are very demanding as far as the rest of the setup is concerning.
And AG are much easier to tune and adjust, the new XD series are a big leap forward imho.
I heard only once Trios which impressed me more than Duo - in Munich 2014 with Vitus Masterpiece amplification.
I am sure they have a big potential but separate basshorns are not easy to setup and to make them sound as coherent and convincing as my Duo Mezzo XD do for example. Last year in Warsaw it was again a suboptimal presentation of Trios with 6 basshorns and even Armin Krauss did not help.
So for me Duo Mezzo XD are for time being the best option for semi activ horn speakers.
I also liked very much Acapellas with Einstein but they are not very popular and made only for orders.
Universum are improving with every new model and if I decide one day to change my Mezzo XD I will give them a serious listen at home. As for now I think Duo XD series have the edge in bass reproduction and control.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You Cessaro naysayers better behave when Tang is online.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

The moral is each horns lower models are not sounding as good, and the Cessaro we are discussing are the lower models of what Tang has. Very difficult for a compromised horn design to sound good.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It would be nice for a comparison of both "house" sounds - I mean, Cessaro uses out of this world drivers (from the good ole other Keith days hehe), but most of the posts on this thread discount this. so what is the issue?

Which one gets coherency, tone, soundstage etc. better.

Horns Universum are the ugliest things i've ever seen, Odeon isn't sold in the US, and Acapella strangely makes more inefficient horns than my Devores.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, I like universums in white.

You can't compare house sounds by listening to Chopin and extrapolating to gamma. Same for duos and trios. Odeon the real good horn costs 130k euro. I know Brad hears a house sound compared to his la boheme and Rigoletto, but I don't at least with the 28, 32 and 38 models (those sound similar to each other and more like a sensitive con

Reactions: KeithR

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
We have aproached this topic in the other thread ( a very satisfied owner of Cessaro shared his impressions)
I did not have the chance to listen to good setup of Cessaro and was always disappointed
like User211 with their presentations in opposition to their built quality which is impressive indeed.
I think they are very demanding as far as the rest of the setup is concerning.
And AG are much easier to tune and adjust, the new XD series are a big leap forward imho.
I heard only once Trios which impressed me more than Duo - in Munich 2014 with Vitus Masterpiece amplification.
I am sure they have a big potential but separate basshorns are not easy to setup and to make them sound as coherent and convincing as my Duo Mezzo XD do for example. Last year in Warsaw it was again a suboptimal presentation of Trios with 6 basshorns and even Armin Krauss did not help.
So for me Duo Mezzo XD are for time being the best option for semi activ horn speakers.
I also liked very much Acapellas with Einstein but they are not very popular and made only for orders.
Universum are improving with every new model and if I decide one day to change my Mezzo XD I will give them a serious listen at home. As for now I think Duo XD series have the edge in bass reproduction and control.

I know this is off topic, but when you prematurely hit enter and go to the next line, it totally f**** with my brain and I can't read it. You have plenty to say, but I can't do it most of the time. Paragraph spacing helps, too.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

They heard what they heard, Marc. Cessaro is not my company :).

My Cessaros happen to sound pretty good. They create excellent musical presence in my listening room. I dont find any house sound except for their bass has different character from cones.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
That’s odd considering that their bass is actually produced by cones.

I meant conventional speakers like Wilson, Magico, YG, etc.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I know this is off topic, but when you prematurely hit enter and go to the next line, it totally f**** with my brain and I can't read it. You have plenty to say, but I can't do it most of the time. Paragraph spacing helps, too.

I am sorry to hear that, will try to pay more attention for better editing.

I did not realize how much it’ s incovenient for you and maybe other users as well.

PS Is that better now?:)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is there no love here for the Viva Audio Master Horn system?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Is there no love here for the Viva Audio Masterhorn system?

I saw only a picture, never heard them but I like the concept of home tube amplification made espacially for the speakers.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I am sorry to hear that, will try to pay more attention for better editing.

I did not realize how much it’ s incovenient for you and maybe other users as well.

PS Is that better now?:)

Yes. Thank you. I really do want to read various replies that have been edited, instead of letting text-wrap happen, but cannot handle it most of the time.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Horns Universum are the ugliest things i've ever seen.

Surprisingly enough, I thought that my Universums would be more polarizing, but almost every one seeing them in the flesh was very positive with their Feedback.

The Universums are also extremely well executed.
Have you ever knocked on the midhorn of any AG model? Then you will know what I mean. The AG are rather flimsy in comparison.

Universum.jpg

Reactions: Golum and DaveC

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard the viva master horn only at Munich last year. Not a fair demo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing