Horns....Avantgarde vs. Cessaro

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Why does every thread get derailed? Keith you'll never have YG's. Why are we talking about YG's!?!?

I've only heard the small Cessaro with Tron at a few shows. Magnificent, easily my favorite sound of the show.

I think AG keeps getting better and the Duo XD was by far the best AG I've heard other than the full Trio with Bass Horns.

The question is, would you consider the Duo XD?

As far as AG vs Cessaro, it doesn't seem the small and big speakers sound necessarily alike and hence hard to compare "house sounds."

I prefer Cessaro build quality, but won't judge until I hear them in a real audition. I think AG bass might slam more because of the subs, but the Cessaros seem to have a better/more natural bass design.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Why does every thread get derailed? Keith you'll never have YG's. Why are we talking about YG's!?!?

I've only heard the small Cessaro with Tron at a few shows. Magnificent, easily my favorite sound of the show.

I think AG keeps getting better and the Duo XD was by far the best AG I've heard other than the full Trio with Bass Horns.

The question is, would you consider the Duo XD?

I heard the Duo XD last year with AG’s own amp and the sound was horrible and aggressively forward. A couple years earlier with good tubes and it was superb. Take home, they are sonic microscopes so you better drive them right.

I still haven’t heard the small Cessaro but I heard the Alpha sound very good with KR Audio...once the rest of the show shutdown . In principle, if the back horn is done right I see no reason they can’t be reference class for smaslish rooms...I know my Odeons play in that league with relatively cheap drivers by comparison.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I am skeptical about the 2 way Wagner. If you could swing the 3 way I would have more confidence that you’ll be getting more of what I’m hearing from the big horn systems. Plus it looks a lot more “horn-y.”

I think it would not be difficult to add supplemental bass.

View attachment 46505
The Alpha or Beta are already quite large speakers. Wagner is much smaller and the mid-bass driver used is quite wideband (Supravox) so it covers easily the range. Supravox uses this driver in a speaker called Alizee that goes from 50-18khz. If you have only 20-25 square meter room Wagner is probably a better choice. Larger then you should get an Aries Cerat Symphonia .

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
As far as AG vs Cessaro, it doesn't seem the small and big speakers sound necessarily alike and hence hard to compare "house sounds."

I prefer Cessaro build quality, but won't judge until I hear them in a real audition. I think AG bass might slam more because of the subs, but the Cessaros seem to have a better/more natural bass design.
Audition of both would be mandatory but for AG , I would look more at Duo Mezzo.

Reactions: marslo

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Alpha or Beta are already quite large speakers. Wagner is much smaller and the mid-bass driver used is quite wideband (Supravox) so it covers easily the range. Supravox uses this driver in a speaker called Alizee that goes from 50-18khz. If you have only 20-25 square meter room Wagner is probably a better choice. Larger then you should get an Aries Cerat Symphonia .

The Alpha is $82k in the US, and therefore out of my budget. as is the Duo Mezzo.

I'm guessing my new room will be around 30 square meters which is the top end of the Cessaro specifications. I also like the size of the Wagner.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands

True for me aswell, i much prefer Cessaro build (and driver) quality.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
The Alpha is $82k in the US, and therefore out of my budget. as is the Duo Mezzo.

I'm guessing my new room will be around 30 square meters which is the top end of the Cessaro specifications. I also like the size of the Wagner.
The bass quantity might be bit less from the Cessaro but i prefer its quality. I heard the Wagner in much bigger room (>45m2) and it sounded awesome and still good bass.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I like very much the build quality of Cessaro horns but prefer the sound of my Duo Mezzo XD with Crossfire.
Didn’t have Cessaro at home though, my experience is based only on audio show presentations.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
FYI- Cessaro doesn't use Supravox drivers anymore and now does everything in-house
Ok, looks identical to a Supravox...

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Couple of AG stories.
Friend of mine had a home theatre system based on 2 Trios, 3 Unos, 7 sub-woofers and vacuum tube fire power.

Listened to a Tina turner concert....mind blowing. As Tina finished the last song of her encore my heart momentarily sank as I thought about fighting my way through the crowds before realising we were in his damned basement. Now that’s suspending disbelieve

Before moving back to the UK I had my own Trio drivers upgraded by AG. On re-installation AG personnel showed me a new way to set-up my subs (2 per channel). They turned the subs to face one another about 4-5 cm apart, in phase. With the huge horn-like acoustic impedance, the sensitivity went through the roof, producing bass like I’d never heard before.

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Are the Duo Mezzo worth the premium over the Duo XD, and if so, why?
I have had Duo Omega G2 for 6 years but did not listen to Duo XD at home, only during audio shows. Now since 3 years I have Duo Mezzo XD.
XD series represent a significant leap in bass reproduction , control and overral integration with the room due to their advanced DSP.
It seems that the difference between Mezzo and Duo XD is only a waveguide like Keith says( short basshorn) but in reality also the cabinet of Mezzo is bigger and less resonant, as well as a stiffer metal support for big horn.
If it worth extra money is a matter of personal decicison. I would say that in small and medium size room Duo XD could be just fine but for big living room like mine ( around 100 sqm) Duo Mezzo XD are better.
Duo XD are probably the sweet spot in Avantgardes offer as far as price/ quality ratio is concerned but during our visit to AG HQ we preferred with my wife more coherent presentation of Duo Mezzo to Trio with small subwoofers. So I decided to change Duo Omega G2 for Duo Mezzo XD and I am really satisfied.
If one can afford to pay extra money and has a big room I would recommend Duo Mezzo XD.

Attachments

• 92089EFD-9B81-40B0-9743-77D3F1F225B3.jpeg
    92089EFD-9B81-40B0-9743-77D3F1F225B3.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 9DE006E3-46B8-4AB0-94E5-4B475AD56A79.jpeg
    9DE006E3-46B8-4AB0-94E5-4B475AD56A79.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

D2Girls

Feb 14, 2019
My room is pretty small (like 35m3) so I guess that seals it. I appreciate the detailed response. Thank you.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I hope it is OK for Keith that I ask an Avantgarde Trio question in this thread.

Does any of the Avantgarde (Trio) afficionados here know at what frequency the Trio horns section should be crossed over to the subwoofer section?

I think I "talked" (in a thread here on WBF, or was it in the roon Forum?) to one norwegian Gentleman who is partnering his Trio horns section with some big ass custom built subwoofers.
Hopefully he can chime in with his knowledge/experience...

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I hope it is OK for Keith that I ask an Avantgarde Trio question in this thread.

Does any of the Avantgarde (Trio) afficionados here know at what frequency the Trio horns section should be crossed over to the subwoofer section?

I think I "talked" (in a thread here on WBF, or was it in the roon Forum?) to one norwegian Gentleman who is partnering his Trio horns section with some big ass custom built subwoofers.
Hopefully he can chime in with his knowledge/experience...

The lower (biggest spherical) horn on the Trio goes down to 100hz.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing