Horn based system from southern coast of Turkey

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am hearing the first sounds as I am writing. It took a few hours adjusting the system initially, from here on out it will be fine tuning. I am very happy with what I am getting. I have also installed fuuga cartridge and from the get go it sounds great :)

I love these types of threads. I look forward to reading about your progress and how you describe what you hear. I wish you years of joy listening to your favorite music in this space.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
New room and adjustment is passively done to get more in line with Toole target fr and less of a flat fr. I like how it sounds now and as I measure I see that it does not deviate from the target for more than 2db's. No eq, no dsp...
Really incredible FR. Can‘t ask for more. What is the height of the room?

Reactions: kodomo

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Really incredible FR. Can‘t ask for more. What is the height of the room?
It is 2.50m and that has been the biggest drawback for me when I was starting to design the space. I wish it was 3.50m, it would have been really good then but this was what I got and the results are better than I expected. I even thought maybe it was time for me to put my commercial speaker design in the new listening room and give up on my long time friends.

Reactions: christoph
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
New room and adjustment is passively done to get more in line with Toole target fr and less of a flat fr. I like how it sounds now and as I measure I see that it does not deviate from the target for more than 2db's. No eq, no dsp...
great work.....not easily done
guess the 50-250 range gives you a nice drive too

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Very nice kodomo .. not a simple achievement ! ...is the red an exact harman slope
As I recall linkwitz has a slope of -3db from 1khz to 20 khz and I think the old b and k was similar so both a bit more rolled off .. quite a bit of work to test them all passively:)
I presume you have smoothed that plot quite substantially .. out of interest what program did you use for measurement
Cheers
Phil

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Very nice kodomo .. not a simple achievement ! ...is the red an exact harman slope
As I recall linkwitz has a slope of -3db from 1khz to 20 khz and I think the old b and k was similar so both a bit more rolled off .. quite a bit of work to test them all passively:)
I presume you have smoothed that plot quite substantially .. out of interest what program did you use for measurement
Cheers
Phil
It is not the Harman curve, that has additional boosting at the bass. This is Toole's own curve, a slightly tilted down response, see attachment below for reference.

The scale was 5db and using erb (Equivalent Rectangular Bandwidth) smoothing. I attach a 1/12 response along Toole and Harman curves so you can distinguish the differences easier and in more detail to your liking.

These measurements are taken at the listening spot in my room (mic is about 4.7m away from speaker voice coil) via minidsp umik 1 calibrated mic with rew software. I also have omni mic, preamp and arta but for this, rew is much faster and easier to use.

Attachments

• toolevsharmanvsokan12.jpg
    toolevsharmanvsokan12.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 18

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
It is not the Harman curve, that has additional boosting at the bass. This is Toole's own curve, a slightly tilted down response, see attachment below for reference.

The scale was 5db and using erb (Equivalent Rectangular Bandwidth) smoothing. I attach a 1/12 response along Toole and Harman curves so you can distinguish the differences easier and in more detail to your liking.

These measurements are taken at the listening spot in my room (mic is about 4.7m away from speaker voice coil) via minidsp umik 1 calibrated mic with rew software. I also have omni mic, preamp and arta but for this, rew is much faster and easier to use.
Thanks for that explanation .. I had not come across erb smooting before .. I can see it is quite useful for in room meaurements.
I favour the bump at the bottom that the harmon curve shows .. to me its a bit like the old tone control for low level listening but, depending on the recording, can be obtrusive at high volumes (which I rarely listen at) ... did you experiment with that

Cheers
Phil

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I know people enjoy videos of systems playing in this forum, so here is one from me from yesterdays listening session. Not an audiophile show record, just me enjoying some Vivaldi by Milstein.

ps. For info. about what you are hearing, I am playing through my new Fuuga cartridge with about 10 hours of play on it. It played so right that I still did not fine tune it with analog magik. I just used a protractor, a weight scale and in 5 mins it was done, it is really straight and very well produced. I will still look into it and fine tune hopefully after returning from Munich.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Latest photos :)

Attachments

• IMG_5504.jpg
    IMG_5504.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5508.jpg
    IMG_5508.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5506.jpg
    IMG_5506.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5505.jpg
    IMG_5505.jpg
    728 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5307.jpg
    IMG_5307.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 95

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Bloody hell…amazing!

Reactions: kodomo and timztunz

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Super looking room. Love your diffusor.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Love the rich trippy vibe and the bricks are always a winner here… your architectural roots are showing Kodomo and you’ve instilled a beautiful sense of place that comes out of where you live. Nice work. Love it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know people enjoy videos of systems playing in this forum, so here is one from me from yesterdays listening session. Not an audiophile show record, just me enjoying some Vivaldi by Milstein.

ps. For info. about what you are hearing, I am playing through my new Fuuga cartridge with about 10 hours of play on it. It played so right that I still did not fine tune it with analog magik. I just used a protractor, a weight scale and in 5 mins it was done, it is really straight and very well produced. I will still look into it and fine tune hopefully after returning from Munich.
Wow! Beautiful and the sound thru headphones was remarkable!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Latest photos :)
Do you still use your GR Research dipole bass subwoofers?

Your new room is just phenomenal :eek:
Even though I have to admit, that I also REALLY loved your old room ;)

If you should EVER decide to let go of your beautiful 4 way horn speakers, please let me know :oops:

Reactions: bonzo75 and rando

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Do you still use your GR Research dipole bass subwoofers?

Your new room is just phenomenal :eek:
Even though I have to admit, that I also REALLY loved your old room ;)

If you should EVER decide to let go of your beautiful 4 way horn speakers, please let me know :oops:
They are five way when you include the bass :)

Maybe you will be interested in my speaker companies designs, easier to use!

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
They are five way when you include the bass :)

Maybe you will be interested in my speaker companies designs, easier to use!

Ok, let's call them 4-way passive with active subwoofers.
Are you still using the GR Research dipole bass servo subwoofers?

Do you have a link to your company's design speaker?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Yes, I am using the gr servo at home, 6 woofers and 2 amps.

here is a link with some photos for my company, this is the model I call confluence that uses 2 ob woofers (new ones with AE dipole and 500watt hypex bass amps), two 10” and one 3” planar magnetic drivers, all three are horn loaded. There are two more models, one bigger co-entrant horn and a smaller one with 8” purifi and a horn with ribbon.

www.instagram.com/kinomenaaudio

Attachments

• 81039CBA-C0C2-4711-9685-E7A90DB9E898.jpeg
    81039CBA-C0C2-4711-9685-E7A90DB9E898.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 33

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, I am using the gr servo at home, 6 woofers and 2 amps.

here is a link with some photos for my company, this is the model I call confluence that uses 2 ob woofers (new ones with AE dipole and 500watt hypex bass amps), two 10” and one 3” planar magnetic drivers, all three are horn loaded. There are two more models, one bigger co-entrant horn and a smaller one with 8” purifi and a horn with ribbon.

www.instagram.com/kinomenaaudio
That looks very interesting :eek:
Please open a thread dedicated to your new speakers :cool:

I would love to learn more about the different models, but don't want to pollute this wonderful thread here with questions about the new speakers :oops:

I don't use instagram

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing