"High End Dealers and You" - The "Hidden Rules" (At least for some)

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Unfortunately in my market place it's my opinion that the bulk of the really high end stuff sells itself because it's the only real high end game in town. Anyone who is in the design and architecture trade or a sophisticated user knows who has the product so that is where the high dollar players are directed and a listening room is only there for that final nail. A monkey with a pen could produce nearly the same financial outcome to the manufacturers and to the dealers bottom line.
I feel certain that there are audiophiles who do go to such a dealer and are happy with the service and have a friendly relationship, however, they likely have significant wherewithal to go in for a review...hear what they are expecting.. and go out happy knowing that the dealer will bring and install competently.

I don't think that that is the routine audiophile's modus operandi. I may be totally wrong, but I feel that most audiophiles stress over each purchase and try, maybe almost daily to find some small detail that may bring them just that much closer to a natural sounding (convincing) system. They look hill and dell and new and used. I never met Dave Wilson but from those who I know who have spoken of him give me the feeling that his goal in life was to make the best sounding speaker that he was capable of. He truly enjoyed the music and the sound of the music. It lit his candle. No one ever mentioned his desire to make a lot of money but I suspect it was secondary to him. He probably liked it. But his part of the business was the sound. Now that's just my opinion. The reason that I say this is when Dave was trying to make the best speaker that he could, with limited resources, he likely used whatever he could find to get there. That's natural. The way even the WBF heads talk about the secondary market, whether it's buying or selling on it.

Nobody wants to be taken advantage of. And to expect to go to a dealer and just milk him and then buy your gear elsewhere is not kind. In the "old days" dealers had great equipment, new and used. You didn't have to go to the internet (there was no internet) to find a great piece of used high end gear. Yes, the local dealer does have a few pieces of used gear. They aren't ready for demo and it really isn't what they want to sell. I don't intend for this to be a "beat up the dealer" post, and I understand that real estate (showroom space) costs money. The margin on used equipment likely isn't the same as on used gear. It's all common sense economics. But if your aspirations are to own say wilson alex v and you don't have the 135k today, in about 5 years, a used set will be much more economical... maybe 65k and still every bit as good as they are today. Maybe not "state of the art" but still outrageous speakers. You may say to yourself, do I want the best speaker from 5 years ago with little use on them or a new set of a much scaled down version that the dealer has...say an Alexia 3? at comparatively the same price. I specifically remember a set of xlf's on one of the primary online sites at a substantially discounted price. They were in the owners summer home and rarely used. How do you really stack that up against a dealer who has only brand new alex v and xvx. I suspect that it's really hard for a truly High end dealer to cover both bases.

It isn't that hard to see why the dealer doesn't want to deal with much used gear (or the buyers who may want it) nor does the manufacturer want to have that competition of their own product. I can see that it's a difficult mountain to climb. Unfortunately, guys who have the top top equipment on the secondary market (dealers) often don't have showrooms and they are scattered. It's hard to develop that friend relationship and to build that trust locally.
Some of what you have written is contained within our Wilson Way Training sessions on the ever changing hifi market (and how we got here going back to the Fair Trade Acts states enacted in the 1930's) followed by sessions on Trade-Ins and Certified Authentic. The vehicles and methods change but the problems faced by manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and consumers remain essentially the same.

If I were to sum up the desires of anyone who would buy quality gear, he has two basic needs that rise above all others 1) "I just want to be treated fairly." and 2) "What do I do with my stuff?"

To be successful as a Wilson Audio Dealer means enthusiastically embracing trade-ins. It also means authenticating and reselling those trade-ins as Wilson Certified Authentic, which includes a Wilson Audio Factory Warranty. We are working to create a new speaker buying experience with a not new Wilson speaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: barryr1

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Certified Pre~Owned Audip
I love it.

barryr1

Aug 12, 2019
usa
Some of what you have written is contained within our Wilson Way Training sessions on the ever changing hifi market (and how we got here going back to the Fair Trade Acts states enacted in the 1930's) followed by sessions on Trade-Ins and Certified Authentic. The vehicles and methods change but the problems faced by manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and consumers remain essentially the same.

If I were to sum up the desires of anyone who would buy quality gear, he has basic two needs that rise above all others 1) "I just want to be treated fairly." and 2) "What do I do with my stuff?"

To be successful as a Wilson Audio Dealer means enthusiastically embracing trade-ins. It also means authenticating and reselling those trade-ins as Wilson Certified Authentic, which includes a Wilson Audio Factory Warranty. We are working to create a new speaker buying experience with a not new Wilson speaker.
Thanks Metaphacts. I remember my first tele call with you years ago regarding a watch crossover/thor/ krell 707 conflict and your saying wilson wants every wilson speaker owner to be treated as a part of the family... regardless of when or where it was purchased. To me thats what its all about. Satisfied customers are customers for life. Thats one of the two reasons that i have or had at least 5 wilson speaker sets. The other is i think that they are the best money can buy. B

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Certified Pre~Owned Audip
I love it.
We have discussed the methodology to enact a fair effective trade-in/ CPO program with high end manufacturers who will listen. Any long established manufacturer has far more owners of their product in the field and more aspirational potential owners than all their new product owners that will be produced in a given year. Enthusiastically welcoming those owners, or potential owners of trade-ins monetarily grows dealers' businesses while growing their client base. The idea that you earn two clients with one new product sale is the holy grail of trade-ins and Certified Authentic.

It is not an easy path for an entrenched industry. Wilson began doing trade-ins and certifications ad hoc over a decade ago. The Program was codified in 2016. Make no mistake that there has been misunderstanding, skepticism, and derision. We parted ways with some old guard dealers who couldn't wrap their heads around the need and the process. But today, Certified Authentic is methodically being recognized as a Wilson Brand, just as CPO is now a separate category in NADA car sales figures.

I only wish more manufacturers would adapt such policies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing