Help me w/reservations about taking the R2R tape plunge...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My package proposed is going to be: sorted Technics RS1500/Nortronic heads/2-box Tape Cello/optional meters box.
Expense will increase as I have to provide a rack/shelf, upgraded pwr cords and interconnects, poss Shun Mooks after time.
Aim for a tape every other month, there are some on UltraAnalogueProductions I really quite like the look of.
Aim to keep this hobby the right side of treat/controlled expenditure.
Since I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that ripping pcm/streaming/dsd, lovely as these all are, are just not priorities, it makes this financial undertaking more palatable, since funds that I was considering putting twds a GG are now available.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My package proposed is going to be: sorted Technics RS1500/Nortronic heads/2-box Tape Cello/optional meters box.
Expense will increase as I have to provide a rack/shelf, upgraded pwr cords and interconnects, poss Shun Mooks after time.
Aim for a tape every other month, there are some on UltraAnalogueProductions I really quite like the look of.
Aim to keep this hobby the right side of treat/controlled expenditure.
Since I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that ripping pcm/streaming/dsd, lovely as these all are, are just not priorities, it makes this financial undertaking more palatable, since funds that I was considering putting twds a GG are now available.

Good move...get a deck for an affordable investment that gets you 95% of the way to the Studer/Doshi setup or top of the line phase 12 UHA. When you have the cello, you can buy a Studer deck later and get the head wired out to run through the cello. It always feels good to have a back up deck once you realize there is no other choice since the music sounds better than you ever have heard it before.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Christian, I know it goes against the ethos of typical audio upgrading, but this my start and finish, save for maxxing out on cables and isolation.
I want this to be pretty much a one-stop solution. My investment in tapes is going to be by necessity a bit steep, but I can't really see myself buying more than 6-8 tapes per year, 60-80 over a decade. This will compare to 3000 lps, and prob 1500 cds that I'm likely to have at that time. The 1500/King Cello just seems appropriate, esp when you consider it to have the beating of your AF1. That's good enough for me.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Go the affordable route...having the external pre will allow for more transports in the future if needed or desired. Spend the money on tape. Like I said...the king/cello has a great reputation....I chose k/c over bottlehead. It is a very quiet, s/n ratio device that gets what your were missing from music listening on other formats.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
A big deal in not going uber Studer, which I could afford but don't choose, other than size/bulk, is the whole visual experience. There's no doubt it inspires beyond-proud ownership, it's battleship build and sheer gargantuan overkill can't inspire anything other than a quiet feeling of inner calm. But it's too commercial/lab for me, and unlike going from a Rega to a Walker, AF1, American Sound, or from an Oppo to a Metronome, which gets me salivating, it's the compact vertical design of the 1500 that get my juices flowing, the Studer leaves me a bit cold.
I want to see those reels spin, a big part of the whole experiential joyride that tape will bring to the party.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I used to lust after the 1500 when it first came out. It is such an iconic design. I almost bought that before the Otari became available.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A big deal in not going uber Studer, which I could afford but don't choose, other than size/bulk, is the whole visual experience. There's no doubt it inspires beyond-proud ownership, it's battleship build and sheer gargantuan overkill can't inspire anything other than a quiet feeling of inner calm. But it's too commercial/lab for me, and unlike going from a Rega to a Walker, AF1, American Sound, or from an Oppo to a Metronome, which gets me salivating, it's the compact vertical design of the 1500 that get my juices flowing, the Studer leaves me a bit cold.
I want to see those reels spin, a big part of the whole experiential joyride that tape will bring to the party.

I understand you - the Studer's must be felt, not seen!

BTW, you should be prepared for a big disappointment - as soon as a great recording starts playing in a R2R you forget about the sniping reels, the tape and the machine - only the music is left! ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I used to lust after the 1500 when it first came out. It is such an iconic design. I almost bought that before the Otari became available.

For me the two true iconic designs are:
1) the Revox B77. I remember in the late 70's when I discovered the high end and read hifi mags all the time, obsessed about one day owning a Linn LP12/Syrinx PU3/Ittok/Naim 6 pack/Naim active x.over/active Linn Isobariks, this was the deck of choice, and ads for it ran everywhere.
2) the Nagra IV, just the coolest, most jewel-like component ever, always aware the top guys would do their field recording on it, worked everytime, just analog magic in a a beautiful case.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I understand you - the Studer's must be felt, not seen!

BTW, you should be prepared for a big disappointment - as soon as a great recording starts playing in a R2R you forget about the sniping reels, the tape and the machine - only the music is left! ;)

Well, that's the point of all this. My good friend RonR is in the US atm, and has just experienced tape a couple of times, at Steve Williams' home, and w/Greg's UHA at a show. And as a died in the wool vinyl man, he's quite depressed just how much better tape replay is.
For me, I'm hoping to bypass any disappointment by comparison. Just like vinyl is what it is v cd, tape is too v vinyl. Comparisons are frustrating and pointless, tape is just the ultimate treat.

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
This is such a common story Sam, not just Citroens, but Jaguars, MGs, and probably in the States, Corvettes, Cadillacs. Etc etc etc.
The other issue is that a lot of classic car enthusiasts buy in pristine condition, or big prices, often both, and then hardly drive them.
Often they just sit in garages, just occasionally brought out, only on a sunny day.
Sounds a lot like tape ownership.
Me? These cars are meant to be DRIVEN!
So DRIVE THEM.

You are absolutely correct -- don't ask how I know! :eek:

Sam, I've sent you a PM, I hope you don't mind. If you can send me some words privately, I'd be most grateful.

No, of course not...happy to oblige! :cool:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My investment in tapes is going to be by necessity a bit steep, but I can't really see myself buying more than 6-8 tapes per year, 60-80 over a decade. The 1500/King Cello just seems appropriate, esp when you consider it to have the beating of your AF1. That's good enough for me.

Once you listen to a good tape on a well sorted machine, it's like crack... the more you listen, the more you want. You become a crackhead to get your fix!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Once you listen to a good tape on a well sorted machine, it's like crack... the more you listen, the more you want. You become a crackhead to get your fix!

What's your take on when this crack is converted to DSD 256 with the Horus, and played back through the GG? Is it like crack cut with a bit of crystal meth? Or is it still just as pure?

I'd still love to hear your take on a track recorded with Pyramix/Horus via the GG analog outputs to DSD 256, and played back via the Horus DAC. I'm wondering if it would retain much of the GG's sound signature. Or if the Sabre chip combined with the IC opamps would add noticeable coloration. I guess it would be also cool to play it back via the GG as well and see if it's as good. Maybe even better! Like higher grade crack!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Bruce, you, ahem, crack me up :p!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What's your take on when this crack is converted to DSD 256 with the Horus, and played back through the GG? Is it like crack cut with a bit of crystal meth? Or is it still just as pure?

I'd still love to hear your take on a track recorded with Pyramix/Horus via the GG analog outputs to DSD 256, and played back via the Horus DAC. I'm wondering if it would retain much of the GG's sound signature. Or if the Sabre chip combined with the IC opamps would add noticeable coloration. I guess it would be also cool to play it back via the GG as well and see if it's as good. Maybe even better! Like higher grade crack!

Blizzard, pass the Crack Pipe

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys, my last post of the evening. I think my brainstorming of the last few evenings, w/the help of so many of you, is helping settle my thoughts/decisions.
There is enough of a consensus that the RS1500/Nortronics/King Cello is an excellent way to go. I've just checked out our old friend Myles B. Astor and he runs the same type of rig, and he is no slouch when it comes to getting good sounds.
Christian's thumbs up v.helpful.
Most critical was Ed Pong in very much endorsing my choice.

So, the deck is chosen, and if I go ahead, Jan next year is when the chequebook comes out, and I hit a deck and a handful of tapes.

My last area of concern before saying yea or nay, is day to day matters. Just what am I to expect in using the system as a new owner? There is so much about tape I have no idea about.

Can you guys talk about the major operational issues that would be relevant in informing me about, esp again those that makes tape ownership a difficult concern.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

I'm trying to put this little listening test together. I want to eliminate most of the variables. I'll be using Pyramix for both the Horus and GG. Right now I have the GG connected to a MacBook, which Pyramix doesn't run on and the Horus sounds the best with Pyramix. Just stay tuned!!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010

Now, now, Bruce -- we don't want anyone to think we all just sit around in a room and share...uh -- forget it...never mind. ;)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010

Haha! :)
Now, for whom would this have relevance :confused: :rolleyes:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I'm trying to put this little listening test together. I want to eliminate most of the variables. I'll be using Pyramix for both the Horus and GG. Right now I have the GG connected to a MacBook, which Pyramix doesn't run on and the Horus sounds the best with Pyramix. Just stay tuned!!

Right on. Sounds like you need to retrofit your GG with a Ravenna interface board :) Stay tuned as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing