Newbie into R2R: Can you guys give me tips and pointers?

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
A definite neophyte thinking of jumping into the hobby.
I have no experience with tapes other than seeing my friend play a tape a couple weeks ago.
We back to backed it against vinyl and there was definitely an improvement.
I am thinking of getting into R2R but I'm not sure if it is for me - my worries are cost and lack of titles.
My music preference is typically newer music - pop, top 40.
I am 41 years old.

Thx for the tips and pointers.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Don't do it. It is very expensive, inconvenient and frustrating.

Speaking as someone who has been doing it for over 60 years and have about 50 machines.

Get a good streamer and DAC instead and enjoy MUSIC.

So... DON'T DO IT, unless you ABSOLUTELY MUST.

alexz

Jan 11, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
"My music preference is typically newer music - pop, top 40."
Tip and pointer :
Another words, music exclusively recorder digitally.

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
  • Wow
Reactions: Ron Resnick

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Cost. Tape (15ips 2 track) is cheaper than a divorce, collecting Ferraris, expensive watches, yachts. Maybe similar to drugs (also can be as addictive). Music is pretty available, some commercially, some by back channels that can be accessed if you ask (in forums like this).

Larry

Reactions: Edward Pong

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
You are making a mistake... most people don't have many yachts, but a typical music lover has hundreds or thousands of records.

What is available today in R2R tapes is pitiful... out of that list of 900 or so titles available today I would like to have maybe 100 or less.

A 100 titles is not even a start of a music collection... just a first shot. But it would set you back $30K or so.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I currently have about 2100 reels of 15ips 2 track tapes. Not cheap. Larry

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Joey!

I think it is wonderful that you are considering the path that will lead you to the best music reproduction in this hobby.

Who cares how many titles you acquire on tape? It is not a substitute for vinyl. Vinyl was conceived as a cheap, physical distribution medium for the masses.

Tape playback, at its best, is the pinnacle of this hobby. Ascend the summit!

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I have been thinking about this. I got into tape via the recording route, at a time when decent digital recorders were expensive but people were throwing the Nagras and Studers into landfills. Nowadays though, I can think of at least one good reason to get into R2R. If you are into golden age classical recordings, want to hear them as close to the original as possible, don't want to invest in an expensive vinyl rig and original Shaded Dogs, RFR1s, wide band Deccas etc., R2R might just be the way to go. Classical music on 4 track tapes is still pretty cheap on Ebay and Discog. Just saw an auction of 10 very good classical titles (RCA, Mercury) going for US$140. And I bet those tapes played on a restored Revox B77 will beat any random LP of the same titles played on 5 figure vinyl rigs.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Just saw an auction of 10 very good classical titles (RCA, Mercury) going for US$140. And I bet those tapes played on a restored Revox B77 will beat any random LP of the same titles played on 5 figure vinyl rigs.
You must have missed this little , imho, dealbreaker Adrian :

” My music preference is typically newer music - pop, top 40. “

Last edited:

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
You must have missed this little , imho, dealbreaker Adrian :

” My music preference is typically newer music - pop, top 40. “
In that case, just stick to digital. There is very little music recorded on tape during the past 40 years.

Reactions: Argonaut

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Hi Joey!

I think it is wonderful that you are considering the path that will lead you to the best music reproduction in this hobby.

Who cares how many titles you acquire on tape? It is not a substitute for vinyl. Vinyl was conceived as a cheap, physical distribution medium for the masses.

Tape playback, at its best, is the pinnacle of this hobby. Ascend the summit!
Thx for the warm message Ron!
Ascend the summit.. hahaha...

I agree. Ascension to the summit is probably something we all aim for in the hobby. I'm just not sure if the media availability will make this a hyper luxury item for me.

I have 2 turntables to keep me busy in the analog sector. I also have a decent digital arm of the system to keep me busy with the newer releases and to sample what I want to archive into the analog arm of the system.

A tape - as I see it, would be rare and be a more special occasion type playback.... I just don't know how I can justify perhaps less than 40 tapes in the my entire journey counting the 2 or 3 decades I have left with the hobby... if that's something I can justify a $21,000 unit for example.

But that's for my brain to decipher and handle.

Reactions: Zeotrope

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
A definite neophyte thinking of jumping into the hobby.
I have no experience with tapes other than seeing my friend play a tape a couple weeks ago.
We back to backed it against vinyl and there was definitely an improvement.
I am thinking of getting into R2R but I'm not sure if it is for me - my worries are cost and lack of titles.
My music preference is typically newer music - pop, top 40.
I am 41 years old.

Thx for the tips and pointers

Not sure its worth it ,not too many pop titles available , also pop recordings are usually not the best .
R2R only really makes the difference with good recordings .

If you buy one i suggest you buy a telefunken M15 A with eternal arts tape stage .
Built like a tank , easy to use and top sound , cheapest way to heaven ( Beats Wadax with good recordings )
7 -8 K for the package

Attachments

• 20200226_215732.jpg
    20200226_215732.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200228_222601.jpg
    20200228_222601.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 20

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
As someone making new recordings of classical chamber music, (UltraAnalogue Recordings) I'd like to say, especially for those with incredible audio systems, tape offers a level of reproduction unmatched by any other format. Older famous recordings were made in an era when tape was typically recorded at lower levels, although Decca did record at 396 nW/m. All early tapes recorded at 185 or 250 nW/m will not have the low level detail & air of tapes recorded at the higher levels.

I want to encourage those chasing copies of the old classics, to try some of the new recordings in tape. They can bring a level of realism unheard in old recordings.... Comparison shows everything.

At the top level of performance in anything, financially it never "makes sense"... take violins for example, a top Guarneri del Gesu or Stradivari violin today can set you back 7-10M US. There are "studies" done with modern violins comparing them to these where they claim people cannot tell the differences in sound.... of course this is a joke because a true "formula 1 driver" of violins, (top international soloists) can sense many aspects us lay people have no concept of. Is there a place for these Strads & del Gesus? Absolutely, for one who strives to chase the best sounds.... so it is with tape in audio.

If you're truly passionate about sound, music and audio, I'm going to encourage you to get into it!
It will bring much pleasure & it's a journey of discovery. This can bring much more satisfaction than a few more numbers in your bank account....IMHO!

Go for it!

Ed

Last edited:

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Dear Joey,

With 3 decades to enjoy this hobbie, I encourage to get into tape... !
If your system is super sensitive, tape will bring you into a world unheard of, even with the best vinyl rigs costing many times more, because those LPs likely started their life as a 2 track 15ips tape. Without a format change (tape to LP) , you will just hear much more. There is a mass to the sound of tape unattainable with any other format.

Ed

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
@joey_v

the big picture here is that to reach a very high level of playback performance, tape is the least expensive route. digital and vinyl are way more expensive to hit the top level. but the media is much more broad and assessable. so with tape you have to be selective, and discerning, to match the choices to your preferences.

Rock and Top 40 genre recordings are probably the least perfect recordings, and finding the right desirable titles combining recording quality and great tape performance the most challenging. so quality tapes like that you would need to dig for, but they are out there if you pursue it.

if you are more into jazz or classical, there are some high quality recent recordings that are really fine, such as Ed's Ultra Analog recordings. but iconic Rock titles are tough.

after finding a quality reel to reel deck for $15k--$30k, and you can hit the moon performance-wise with that investment, then buying a starter collection of 15-20 rtr albums, would allow you to sip your $500 bottle of single malt when the mood strikes you. you don't do that or tape as a steady diet. so it depends on what your target is. if it's blowing your mind with tip top performance, then this works. but it's not the answer for the majority of almost anyone's listening.

choosing the right deck to begin with is very important.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing