Grand Prix Audio Monaco 3.0 turntable

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Ok, so I went to my semi-local dealer and he set up the Monaco 3.0 with a Koetsu blue lace cartridge next to an AMG Viella with teatro cartridge. My Viella has a Koetsu so not an exact duplicate of my system. i love my Viella and plays beautifully but thought i would try out the Monaco. It was immediately apparent the Monaco 3.0 was a big step up which is saying a lot because the Viella is awesome. I’ve never heard the Monaco 2.0 so can’t comment on improvements. I’m ordering with the triplaner SE arm and using rca cables for phono rather than din based on dealer recommendations. He is using Cardas Clear beyond rca with a Cardas wood block to connect to arm in his showroom so I’ll probably do that as well. Delivery is supposedly 6-8 weeks

These are two very different tables where we're comparing mass and beltdrive (AMG) to directdrive (GPA). We're also looking at tables and cartridges on two very different levels. The Koetsu Blue Lace (top of the line) is one of the worlds greatest cartridges, where's the AMG Teatro (now discontinued) is approaching mid level at best in comparison.

A more fair comparison would have been the AMG Viella Forte vs GPS Monaco 3.0 using the same cartridge connected to the same system overall. Not easy, but certainly doable.

It's important to look at the hole picture when making comparisons like this.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Ok, so I went to my semi-local dealer and he set up the Monaco 3.0 with a Koetsu blue lace cartridge next to an AMG Viella with teatro cartridge. My Viella has a Koetsu so not an exact duplicate of my system. i love my Viella and plays beautifully but thought i would try out the Monaco. It was immediately apparent the Monaco 3.0 was a big step up which is saying a lot because the Viella is awesome. I’ve never heard the Monaco 2.0 so can’t comment on improvements. I’m ordering with the triplaner SE arm and using rca cables for phono rather than din based on dealer recommendations. He is using Cardas Clear beyond rca with a Cardas wood block to connect to arm in his showroom so I’ll probably do that as well. Delivery is supposedly 6-8 weeks
What made you go for the Triplanar SE arm 'Lxgreen' and not say a Kuzma 4Point 11" or 14" or even the new Kuzma Safir9 ?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations ! I've had my Monaco for over 10 years now. 1, then 2, and mine is now at Grand Prix getting updated to 3.0. I am hoping to have back by end of March. I am using my dealers 2.0 at home right now.

I've had a few arms on my table, the Tri Planar is good, other arms are good matches as well. I am using the same RCA set up as your dealer with good results.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It was immediately apparent the Monaco 3.0 was a big step up

Congratulations!

Can you tell us please in what ways sonically the Monaco 3.0 was a big step up from your AMG?

What did you hear that you liked from the Monaco 3.0 more than the AMG?

Reactions: Hyperion

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
These are two very different tables where we're comparing mass and beltdrive (AMG) to directdrive (GPA). We're also looking at tables and cartridges on two very different levels. The Koetsu Blue Lace (top of the line) is one of the worlds greatest cartridges, where's the AMG Teatro (now discontinued) is approaching mid level at best in comparison.

A more fair comparison would have been the AMG Viella Forte vs GPS Monaco 3.0 using the same cartridge connected to the same system overall. Not easy, but certainly doable.

It's important to look at the hole picture when making comparisons like this.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se
Agree. Good points

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
What made you go for the Triplanar SE arm 'Lxgreen' and not say a Kuzma 4Point 11" or 14" or even the new Kuzma Safir9 ?
Based on the reviews, both arms seemed good but many users preferr the Kuzma. I spoke at length with dealer about this and he thought both were great but said Grand Prix puts the triplaner on their show tables. the dealer sells most of his tables with the triplaner so I just went with his recommendation. Im assuming he just has more experience with triplaner.

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Congratulations!

Can you tell us please in what ways sonically the Monaco 3.0 was a big step up from your AMG?

What did you hear that you liked from the Monaco 3.0 more than the AMG?
As the dealer was playing records switching back and forth between both tables,i could hear better separation of instruments with the Monaco. The high frequencies were portrayed in stunning detail and the lower frequencies were solid with full articulation of notes. Overall, the Monaco presented a larger sound stage and I just sat smiling through most of the demo. Again, the Viella sounded very nice as well but the difference was clearly audible, not just different. Photos from dealers set up attached

Attachments

• 2063851A-450A-46BB-8499-04F0AD18567C.jpeg
    2063851A-450A-46BB-8499-04F0AD18567C.jpeg
    711.2 KB · Views: 78
  • C47A708B-8D6C-47BB-8557-2C7918566A96.jpeg
    C47A708B-8D6C-47BB-8557-2C7918566A96.jpeg
    711 KB · Views: 75

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
As the dealer was playing records switching back and forth between both tables,i could hear better separation of instruments with the Monaco. The high frequencies were portrayed in stunning detail and the lower frequencies were solid with full articulation of notes. Overall, the Monaco presented a larger sound stage and I just sat smiling through most of the demo. Again, the Viella sounded very nice as well but the difference was clearly audible, not just different. Photos from dealers set up attached
Must be the camera angle as the Koetsu looks like it is leaning down and to the right !

Reactions: No Regrets

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
I will be in Tokyo in a couple of weeks And was considering buying a phono cartridge there. Any thoughts on which Japanese cartridges would be a good match for the Monaco? I know Koetsu would be great but I heard it’s hard to find a Koetsu retail dealer in Tokyo. I would also be curious to find a Japanese brand that is not exported. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Any thoughts on which Japanese cartridges would be a good match for the Monaco?

If you are doing research, I suggest thinking about this in terms of what would be a good match with your Tri-Planar tone arm. I have both Tri-Planar and 11" Kuzma 4P with my Monaco. If you were going to Holland my suggestion would be a van den Hul Master Signature for the TP. In Japan, a ZYX, though the American distributor (sorasound) may have more options within the brand. If you had the 4P, Fuuga in Japan.

Reactions: Lxgreen

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
If you are doing research, I suggest thinking about this in terms of what would be a good match with your Tri-Planar tone arm. I have both Tri-Planar and 11" Kuzma 4P with my Monaco. If you were going to Holland my suggestion would be a van den Hul Master Signature for the TP. In Japan, a ZYX, though the American distributor (sorasound) may have more options within the brand. If you had the 4P, Fuuga in Japan.

As to Japanese cartridges, I had a good experience with Lyra's on my Monaco when I had a Tri-Planar. I had a Helikon and later a Lyra Atlas. Later on I moved to an J.A. Allaerts. So I'm with Tima there are some other great cartridge matches.

(Tima, my Monaco 3.0 should arrive in a week or two, I have my dealers 2.0 on loan now so will get a full 3.0 vs 2.0 comparison, same everything else)

Reactions: tima and Lxgreen

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Update. My Grand Prix Audio Monaco 3.0 is likely to ship early next week. I'm hoping to have it in my system by Friday next week. I still have my dealers 2.0 so will be a direct comparison using my arm and 2 cartridges, just move the arm board (and double check alignment). I am very much looking forward to this. Alvin is saying I'll fall over backwards on the improvements...I hope I do :)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Umm. Wow. Just arrived today. I have the 3.0 motor controller and battery PSU on my dealers Monaco 2.0. My 3.0 TT is in the pelican case downstairs and my dealer will come out tomorrow.

This is no small change. More to come...

IMG_2229.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
...It was immediately apparent the Monaco 3.0 was a big step up which is saying a lot because the Viella is awesome. I’ve never heard the Monaco 2.0 so can’t comment on improvements....
I see why you like the Monaco 3.0. It's immediately apparent that the 3.0 is a big step up from the 2.0 from my listening in my room now!

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I see why you like the Monaco 3.0. It's immediately apparent that the 3.0 is a big step up from the 2.0 from my listening in my room now!
Awesome. Congratulations 'jfrech'

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Umm. Wow. Just arrived today. I have the 3.0 motor controller and battery PSU on my dealers Monaco 2.0. My 3.0 TT is in the pelican case downstairs and my dealer will come out tomorrow.

View attachment 107970

View attachment 107970
Very nice! I see you received the power supply in black. I also ordered black since I wasn’t thrilled with the odd color shown at the dealer. I wonder if you can specify any color or if they only have black or the odd orangy color I saw at dealer?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Is that a GPA supplied power cord for the psu?

Big congratulations John.
haha, good eye. No, it's a (I think) 20+ year old Electraglide power cord. The first power cord I ever bought. For some reason it gets pressed into duty at times like this. I have a Transparent PIMM that I may move from my router/nas drive to power this. GPA just included a standard beldin (again I think) cord.

The owners manual says when you press the round PSU button it goes from Auto to full AC isolation, so power cords may not matter at all here.

Reactions: tima

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very nice! I see you received the power supply in black. I also ordered black since I wasn’t thrilled with the odd color shown at the dealer. I wonder if you can specify any color or if they only have black or the odd orangy color I saw at dealer?
I think just black and that funky Orange or Gold or if we have to debate it that says something about that color choice :).

More listening last night and this am. Again, still on my dealers 2.0 table, so just the battery PSU and 3.0 motor controller. It clearly has more drive, more delicacy, but more power, more resolution, more relaxed, the 3d ness of the imaging, and just how the speakers disappear in a vast 3d sound stage...I am sincerely impressed and frankly taken aback by the degree of change from the 2.0.

My dealer should be out today and we'll get my 3.0 up and going...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing