Grand Prix Audio Monaco 3.0 turntable

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Tim. Sounds like the Monaco DD does not have a brake like my SP10mk3 or Pioneer P3. They stop immediately. Start immediately as well being high torque motors.
Different design I guess
Yes, diff design. I've heard SP10's before (Albert Porters). Really great sound too!

Reactions: XV-1

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Awesome results.

Does the Monaco 3.0 not have a brake to stop the motor??
Or do you have to wait 1.21 each time you want to spin another record?

How long does it take for the table to get up to correct speed?

Tima is wrong. It does have a braking function ( your hand ) haha. Sorry Tima :) just to easy on this one!

I suppose given the smoothness of the new platter, I could change a record without stopping the platter manually. Just a creature of habit that I stop it.

I'd say about 2 revolutions. By the time the cueing lever drops the needle in the groove, it's up to full speed and locked.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: tima and XV-1

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
The connector is a 4 pin and different. But you can still get a transformer based (I read that as wall wart) PSU to power it if you don't go for the battery psu. My 3.0 TT is now up and running. It's another improvement. I am still wrapping my head around this, as I'd say this is a much bigger jump than from my 1.0 to 2.0. The computer/battery PSU being about 2/3's they new bearing and what ever else about a 1/3 of the change.
@jfrech it looks like my dealer will be coming by with my 3.0 next week(finally). I ordered with just the psu and not the battery. Did you ever test to see how much improvement you got with just the psu without the battery vs with the battey/psu combo? My dealer will have a demo sample of the battery soon but doesn’t have one yet I can test. Thanks

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
@jfrech it looks like my dealer will be coming by with my 3.0 next week(finally). I ordered with just the psu and not the battery. Did you ever test to see how much improvement you got with just the psu without the battery vs with the battey/psu combo? My dealer will have a demo sample of the battery soon but doesn’t have one yet I can test. Thanks
Congratulations, you're in for a real audio surprise ! I did not test with out the battery b/c I didn't have the AC cord/transformer to try it that way.

Reactions: Lxgreen

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Dealer installed my new GPA Monaco 3.0 Today and took away my AMGViella in trade in. I am thoroughly enjoying what I am hearing. Unfortunatel I broke my Koetsu Urushi Wajima yesterday. The timing was good since the dealer brought a Blue Lace Koetsu out for the table. So even though what I’m hearing is beautiful and a clear upgrade, I can’t say how much was due to the cartridge upgrade vs table. I guess both were good upgrades. Currently listening to The Cure, Seventeen Seconds. Went to see them at the Hollywood Bowl last night but even though it was an awesome concert, the album sonics are better. Image below show Brian Berdan and Ian Forte of Audio Element in Pasadena setting up table. Currently they have not received the Battery for the Monaco power supply. I suspect I will go to the show room when it’s available to hear how much a difference it makes before committing. Right now I’m just enjoying listening

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    674.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    700.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4515.jpeg
    IMG_4515.jpeg
    933.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4513.jpeg
    IMG_4513.jpeg
    717.2 KB · Views: 66

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Dealer installed my new GPA Monaco 3.0 Today and took away my AMGViella in trade in. I am thoroughly enjoying what I am hearing. Unfortunatel I broke my Koetsu Urushi Wajima yesterday. The timing was good since the dealer brought a Blue Lace Koetsu out for the table. So even though what I’m hearing is beautiful and a clear upgrade, I can’t say how much was due to the cartridge upgrade vs table. I guess both were good upgrades. Currently listening to The Cure, Seventeen Seconds. Went to see them at the Hollywood Bowl last night but even though it was an awesome concert, the album sonics are better. Image below show Brian Berdan and Ian Forte of Audio Element in Pasadena setting up table. Currently they have not received the Battery for the Monaco power supply. I suspect I will go to the show room when it’s available to hear how much a difference it makes before committing. Right now I’m just enjoying listening
Awesome (both for your lovely Monaco V3 and seeing The Cure live) 'Lxgreen'.

Did you also buy the Triplanar arm new or you already had it on your AMG Viella ? If new, did you also consider the Kuzma 4Point 11" or 14" or even the new Kuzma Safir arm ?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Did you also buy the Triplanar arm new or you already had it on your AMG Viella ? If new, did you also consider the Kuzma 4Point 11" or 14" or even the new Kuzma Safir arm ?

Fwiw, the Tr-Planar arm is the dealer's default arm offering with the Monaco and the only arm GPA sells. Tri-Planar arm boards are always in stock. There are more Monacos sold with Tri-Planars than any other arm. The 4P does work quite well with the GPA tables -- I have one of each. Iirc it took Roy and I a while to convince Alvin to invest in the design and CNC parameters to make a 4P armboard. Word got out and several owners converted to the Kuzma. I'll speculate it is now the M's second most popular arm. Again iirc the Monaco 3 takes a different style armboard than the 1.0-2.0 tables. Obviously a 4P board is available for the new table as John is using one with his. The investment in making specific armboards comes with market demand and that demand must reach a certain level to warrant making a new board -- there is simply not the wherewithall to do it on speculation over what people will use. It took a few years of request to get a SME armboard.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations ! It's a fantastic table, and I've heard a Coralstone before, so I know that's a great cartridge also !

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Fwiw, the Tr-Planar arm is the dealer's default arm offering with the Monaco and the only arm GPA sells. Tri-Planar arm boards are always in stock. There are more Monacos sold with Tri-Planars than any other arm. The 4P does work quite well with the GPA tables -- I have one of each. Iirc it took Roy and I a while to convince Alvin to invest in the design and CNC parameters to make a 4P armboard. Word got out and several owners converted to the Kuzma. I'll speculate it is now the M's second most popular arm. Again iirc the Monaco 3 takes a different style armboard than the 1.0-2.0 tables. Obviously a 4P board is available for the new table as John is using one with his. The investment in making specific armboards comes with market demand and that demand must reach a certain level to warrant making a new board -- there is simply not the wherewithall to do it on speculation over what people will use. It took a few years of request to get a SME armboard.
Thank you 'tima' for a very informative reply. Very much appreciated.

I know that 'Definitive Audio' (Kevin Scott and co.) the UK Dealer for Grand Prix Audio, use Kuzma arms (4Point 11" & 14" and now Safir 9) on the Monaco at hifi shows (incl. the very recent Munich Hi-End Show 2023).

Reactions: tima

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thank you 'tima' for a very informative reply. Very much appreciated.

I know that 'Definitive Audio' (Kevin Scott and co.) the UK Dealer for Grand Prix Audio, use Kuzma arms (4Point 11" & 14" and now Safir 9) on the Monaco at hifi shows (incl. the very recent Munich Hi-End Show 2023).
My dealer is getting a Safir 9 in soon. So I'll get to hear that vs my 4p 11" soon on my table. Very curious as I love my 4p but the things I keep reading about the Safir 9...!

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Awesome (both for your lovely Monaco V3 and seeing The Cure live) 'Lxgreen'.

Good explanation by @tima re the Kuzma vs Triplaner. I did consider both arms and felt both would be excellent. The dealer could supply me with either but since he had more experience with Triplaner I went with it. he did say that he does install the Kuzma as well. I didn’t consider the Safir arm since I was going in for more money than I’ve ever spent on a piece of equipment so just decided to draw the line. Turned out to be good choice since I had to buy the Koetsu Blue lace when I broke my Wajima the day before the install.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Looking forward to your listening impressions after you've had a while with your new Monaco.
I’ve had a day to listen to the new rig and I can sum it up by just saying it’s spectacular, almost like listening to live music. The bass is solid and palpable, imaging and sound stage are like nothing I’ve heard before. It’s just bigger in all dimensions compared to the AMGViella. Cymbal crashes and drums are phenomenal. Listening to a David Oistrach Beethoven violin concerto was like sitting in the front row of a symphony hall. When I closed my eyes, I no longer heard a soundstage but rather the room was filled with the orchestra . Images were solidly placed both side to side and back to front in a realistic manner. When I demoed the table at the dealer I thoroughly enjoyed what I heard but hearing it in my own listening room was a whole new experience since I could easily compare it to what I was used to hearing. The layering and textures heard are extraordinary.

I also like that the table is US made and the technological advances imbedded in it. It makes playing records a joy. The dealer showed me how he changes Record sides or puts on new record. He just held the platter while still rotating to stop it and removed the record, then held it again to put new record on. It seems like this should be a bad thing but he speaks with Alvin Lloyd regularly so I’m assuming he checked this out. The pressure clamp lights up when correct pressure is applied and makes clamping easy and reproducible. Changing speed from 33 to 45 is a somple button push on PSU and the button lights up when correct speed is reached.

overall, loving the purchase and no regrets. Having an outstanding dealer within driving distance also made the purchase and install experience enjoyable. Audio-Element, Pasadena, CA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good explanation by @tima re the Kuzma vs Triplaner. I did consider both arms and felt both would be excellent. The dealer could supply me with either but since he had more experience with Triplaner I went with it. he did say that he does install the Kuzma as well. I didn’t consider the Safir arm since I was going in for more money than I’ve ever spent on a piece of equipment so just decided to draw the line. Turned out to be good choice since I had to buy the Koetsu Blue lace when I broke my Wajima the day before the install.
Lx, I was mightily impressed with the Monaco 1.5/Triplanar/Dynavector when I heard the combination thru Cessaro Liszts horns about a decade ago.
Vinyl had a really excellent mix of natural unetched detail, and superb speed and texture.
The demo remains in the top five hifi presentations I've experienced (save for some issues related to spkrs/room interaction nothing to do with the TT).
I can honestly say I wanted for nothing re the sound off vinyl with the Triplanar on Monaco.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I’ve had a day to listen to the new rig and I can sum it up by just saying it’s spectacular, almost like listening to live music. ...

Very nice write-up. Thanks for sharing your impressions of the Monaco 3.0. I've been very impressed with version 2 for several years now. It has taken time for Alvin to improve on that -- he is very persistent. The question was would even greater stable accuracy make a difference and the answer was unknown until it was sought by doing the work. A gamble he and his team took. From the reports of yourself and @jfrech, who had the 2.0 and knows the difference between that and the new 3.0, I'd say further pursuit of stable accuracy has really paid off.

Congratulations to both of you on your new tables.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
overall, loving the purchase and no regrets. Having an outstanding dealer within driving distance also made the purchase and install experience enjoyable. Audio-Element, Pasadena, CA

Congratulations on the new turntable!

Yes, Brian Berdan is wonderful!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I’ve had a day to listen to the new rig and I can sum it up by just saying it’s spectacular, almost like listening to live music. The bass is solid and palpable, imaging and sound stage are like nothing I’ve heard before. It’s just bigger in all dimensions compared to the AMGViella. Cymbal crashes and drums are phenomenal. Listening to a David Oistrach Beethoven violin concerto was like sitting in the front row of a symphony hall. When I closed my eyes, I no longer heard a soundstage but rather the room was filled with the orchestra . Images were solidly placed both side to side and back to front in a realistic manner. When I demoed the table at the dealer I thoroughly enjoyed what I heard but hearing it in my own listening room was a whole new experience since I could easily compare it to what I was used to hearing. The layering and textures heard are extraordinary.

I also like that the table is US made and the technological advances imbedded in it. It makes playing records a joy. The dealer showed me how he changes Record sides or puts on new record. He just held the platter while still rotating to stop it and removed the record, then held it again to put new record on. It seems like this should be a bad thing but he speaks with Alvin Lloyd regularly so I’m assuming he checked this out. The pressure clamp lights up when correct pressure is applied and makes clamping easy and reproducible. Changing speed from 33 to 45 is a somple button push on PSU and the button lights up when correct speed is reached.

I totally get what you're saying. I suspected so, but thrilled that we're hearing the same things. The Monaco 3.0 is a fantastic table !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very nice write-up. Thanks for sharing your impressions of the Monaco 3.0. I've been very impressed with version 2 for several years now. It has taken time for Alvin to improve on that -- he is very persistent. The question was would even greater stable accuracy make a difference and the answer was unknown until it was sought by doing the work. A gamble he and his team took. From the reports of yourself and @jfrech, who had the 2.0 and knows the difference between that and the new 3.0, I'd say further pursuit of stable accuracy has really paid off.

Congratulations to both of you on your new tables.
Hi Tima, yes on the speed accuracy. The 3.0 is a significant advance...it's quite shocking the improvement, and you know I loved the 2.0!

Reactions: tima and mtemur

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
First look at the GPA Monaco 3.0 by Roy Gregory. compares 2.0 to 3.0. Don’t think he used new battery. Full review to follow.

Excerp from review:

The improvement was as obvious as it was shockingly effective. The increase in dynamic range and resolution, the reduction in grain, the improved dimensionality, focus and presence, the distinction between the body of performers/instruments and the enclosed acoustic space, the absence of the mechanical or process related artefacts that separate the reproduced performance from the sense and musical impact of the original event – all were present, all were obvious, but all were also integrated into a magnificently persuasive and natural whole. The v3.0 made the v2.0 sound small, compressed and muted, both in terms of colour and dynamics, which is fairly remarkable given that the v2.0 generally does just that to other record players.

Reactions: jfrech and tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing