Grand Prix Audio Monaco 3.0 turntable

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
haha, good eye. No, it's a (I think) 20+ year old Electraglide power cord. The first power cord I ever bought. For some reason it gets pressed into duty at times like this. I have a Transparent PIMM that I may move from my router/nas drive to power this. GPA just included a standard beldin (again I think) cord.

The owners manual says when you press the round PSU button it goes from Auto to full AC isolation, so power cords may not matter at all here.

John, I thought the same about power cords for turntable power supplies. I was very surprised when I heard differences, and the best power cord of the ones I tried was the one that was supplied with the power supply as stock. Dedicated circuit and everything. I made a video to document the differences and sent it to DDK and the difference is were audible over an iPhone video. It is worth trying different power cords for the turntable power supply.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The owners manual says when you press the round PSU button it goes from Auto to full AC isolation, so power cords may not matter at all here.

I am happy to see the battery backup come to fruition. I remember telling Alvin he needs to ditch the SMPS wall wart. "I'll think about it." He was sceptical at first.

So I take it the connector is the same as on the power cord of the 2.0.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
John, I thought the same about power cords for turntable power supplies. I was very surprised when I heard differences, and the best power cord of the ones I tried was the one that was supplied with the power supply as stock. Dedicated circuit and everything. I made a video to document the differences and sent it to DDK and the difference is were audible over an iPhone video. It is worth trying different power cords for the turntable power supply.
Peter, no argument from me. But run your contention past David K, he was adamant that power cords had no influence on TT motor power supplies.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, no argument from me. But run your contention past David K, he was adamant that power cords had no influence on TT motor power supplies.

Yes he was pretty sure. I have run it past him. I played the videos for him after telling him what I was hearing, and he was quite surprised. We all learn new things Marc.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes Marc, i have made fun of your preference in power cords for the power supply that makes the DC for the regenerator making fresh "perfect" AC in the TT controller, i have to try different ones now o_O I just stuck my head behind the concrete equipment "rack" to check what cable i was using, and saw a drop of water falling from the chrome radiator just above down one a power strip i use for the TV equipment and the TT power, separate from my other dedicated equipment lines.:eek: I knew i had a very , very slow leak somewhere but with 13 radiators, floor heaters and pipes running from 2 building in 2 stories, i had not been able to locate a leak. Normally i would not have been able to look there, but the power supply for my Io has been removed for repair :rolleyes:, thank you guys ! Crazy luck !:) 7EDFD8BC-757A-43C1-937D-6561B85E5BF0.jpeg

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Don't blame me for your descent into madness.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: jfrech

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Hi Peter, I agree everything is worth trying. My suspicion (or is it preconceived bias? ) on the Grand Prix Monaco 3.0 is that a power cord won't matter. When playing, it's off a battery and the entire PSU is disconnected from AC. But we all know something may still be feeding back into the wall...after I get settled in with the new table, I'll for sure get back to you here.

Reactions: PeterA

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Power cords definitely can change/influence our perception of the " Sound " of a turntable. Have done this many times and it's definitely a "Thing"......
Cheers.....

Reactions: mtemur and PeterA

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I am happy to see the battery backup come to fruition. I remember telling Alvin he needs to ditch the SMPS wall wart. "I'll think about it." He was sceptical at first.

So I take it the connector is the same as on the power cord of the 2.0.
The connector is a 4 pin and different. But you can still get a transformer based (I read that as wall wart) PSU to power it if you don't go for the battery psu. My 3.0 TT is now up and running. It's another improvement. I am still wrapping my head around this, as I'd say this is a much bigger jump than from my 1.0 to 2.0. The computer/battery PSU being about 2/3's they new bearing and what ever else about a 1/3 of the change.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
This 3.0 is fantastic. It's like a whole new record collection. Interestingly from speed locked at 33.33333, it takes a full 1 min and 21 seconds to for the platter to stop spinning. The new bearing must have less friction. I never measured the time on my 2.0, but this seems like at least double...

Tima, maybe you can measure your 2.0? I just used my iPhone stopwatch app...

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
This 3.0 is fantastic. It's like a whole new record collection. Interestingly from speed locked at 33.33333, it takes a full 1 min and 21 seconds to for the platter to stop spinning. The new bearing must have less friction. I never measured the time on my 2.0, but this seems like at least double...

Congratulations 'jfrech'. I can imagine that you must be in audio nirvana right now with a big smile ?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Awesome results.

Does the Monaco 3.0 not have a brake to stop the motor??
Or do you have to wait 1.21 each time you want to spin another record?

How long does it take for the table to get up to correct speed?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Awesome results.

Does the Monaco 3.0 not have a brake to stop the motor??

How long does it take for the table to get up to correct speed?

One minute and 21 seconds seems like a pretty long time. I just checked my thread drive turntable and it takes two minutes and 12 seconds to come to a complete stop when I turn off the motor. When it is not connected to the thread, my platter takes 31 minutes to stop rotating from 33.333 RPM. It’s the most boring video on WBF.

This platter stopping time is one indication the quality of the bearing and amount of friction, but how does that manifest itself in the sound we hear?

Does a bearing with less friction result in lower noise floor? I would suspect this results in less resonance in the turntable but there are a lot of factors that affect the resonance and noise reaching the needle having to do with isolation, dampening, material choice, dimensions.

John, do you think this longer platter stopping time is partially responsible for the improved sound quality you are hearing from the Monaco 3? And if so, why?

Sorry, one more question: Do you need to stop the platter to change records?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

For the 2.0...
You can stop it with your hand. Spin up time is quick.
Yes to stopping the platter to change records, resleeve the record, desleeve the next record, place it on the spindle then apply the clamp. Vinyl is a hobby for those with patience and habit -- a lifestyle, living la vida vinyl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and PeterA

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
For the 2.0...
You can stop it with your hand. Spin up time is quick.
Yes to stopping the platter to change records, resleeve the record, desleeve the next record, place it on the spindle then apply the clamp. Vinyl is a hobby for those with patience and habit -- a lifestyle, living la vida vinyl.

Tim. Sounds like the Monaco DD does not have a brake like my SP10mk3 or Pioneer P3. They stop immediately. Start immediately as well being high torque motors.
Different design I guess

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim. Sounds like the Monaco DD does not have a brake like my SP10mk3 or Pioneer P3. They stop immediately. Start immediately as well being high torque motors.
Different design I guess

Yes, there is no brake. I don't have any torque numbers, but it is fairly low. On the inside of its lightweight magnesium platter there is (if I remember this correctly) a phosphor bronze flywheel on its outer edge to help with momentum. The lightweight platter does not require much torque. Startup is two rotations. Fwiw, Alvin told me he is a big fan of the SP10 -- he thinks it is a remarkable achievement of the period.

Reactions: XV-1

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
One minute and 21 seconds seems like a pretty long time. I just checked my thread drive turntable and it takes two minutes and 12 seconds to come to a complete stop when I turn off the motor. When it is not connected to the thread, my platter takes 31 minutes to stop rotating from 33.333 RPM. It’s the most boring video on WBF.

This platter stopping time is one indication the quality of the bearing and amount of friction, but how does that manifest itself in the sound we hear?

Does a bearing with less friction result in lower noise floor? I would suspect this results in less resonance in the turntable but there are a lot of factors that affect the resonance and noise reaching the needle having to do with isolation, dampening, material choice, dimensions.

John, do you think this longer platter stopping time is partially responsible for the improved sound quality you are hearing from the Monaco 3? And if so, why?

Sorry, one more question: Do you need to stop the platter to change records?
Hi Peter,

Wow on 31 minutes. I don't know if or how this translates to sound quality, but you have to think lower friction is lower noise. And more mass will spin longer once in motion.

As far as platter stopping time, it's just hard to say. I will say the new computer/battery supply was the biggest change, like 75% or so. When when I added the 3.0 vs 2.0 table it further improved. So something Alvin did inside is better. My platter also had a new coating, it's hard and smooth vs my old platter was more soft, rubber like (very thin).

Yes I stop the platter, I don't know if I have to, but do it easily with the brake function (my hand :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing