Fuse question for Viva amp owners

enginerd

Mar 11, 2021
San Francisco
I recently purchased a used Viva Egoista 845 headphone amp. I had a rectifier tube go bad (saw it arc) and then blew a fuse. Replacing the fuse just causes it to blow again, so I have replacement tubes on the way.

However, I noticed that the previous owner has 6.3A and 10A fuses in the unit and the manual refers to 6.3A and 3.15A fuses so I have some 3.15A fuses on the way. I have a message into him to see if he can clarify, but can another Viva owner tell me which fuse value goes into which fuse holder?

I tried contacting Viva support directly, but they don't provide direct end-user support and referred me to the local dealer. There's a local dealer here in California so I did pose that question along with a couple others, but he didn't directly answer other than to say look at what fuses are in there now (and contact the dealer you bought it from, but in my case, I bought it used...). So any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
You will likely find an owner who can help you quicker on headfi. Do take care to clarify whether the fuse rating is for usa voltage or european, which runs at 230v and needs a fuse of half the amp capacity.

It is possible that a resistor has been taken out by the rectifier arcing - was a puff of magic purple smoke released?

enginerd

Mar 11, 2021
San Francisco
You will likely find an owner who can help you quicker on headfi. Do take care to clarify whether the fuse rating is for usa voltage or european, which runs at 230v and needs a fuse of half the amp capacity.

It is possible that a resistor has been taken out by the rectifier arcing - was a puff of magic purple smoke released?
Yes, good point regarding voltage. This is a US model (I.e. 120V) so perhaps the manual was written for Euro spec.

I did not notice any purple smoke.

There is a Viva 845 thread on headfi. I have posted there a couple times in the past but no responses, but I will post this question there as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing