FS: Playback Designs MPS-5 (Australia, 240V version)

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
For sale is my much loved Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD player. I bought this new from Warwick Freemantle, the local dealer, in 2012. It has all the latest firmware updates.

Those who frequent WBF would know that this is an excellent player, probably one of the best on the market right now. Regular firmware updates keep bringing new improvements, and Playback have committed to continuing to support this product even though it has now been discontinued.

High end SACD players using first rate SACD transports are now a rarity, because the main transport suppliers have either stopped making SACD transports (Sony) or are refusing to supply their transports to third parties (TEAC/Esoteric). This is why Playback is now a DAC only company, DCS only offers transports on their top level CD player, and MSB uses an Oppo transport.

The MPS-5 can be used as a transport, or as a DAC.

Those who know me will know that it is rare that I have absolutely no criticism of a product. The MPS-5 is one of those products which I have no criticism of. Even at its new asking price of AUD$17,000, I thought it was good value.

Included with the sale: original packaging and everything that came in the box - manuals, remote, power cable, plastic wrap, etc. Note this product was purchased before Playback included the USB X-box, so this particular player does not come with it. You can still stream data to it via USB though. I know this because I have tried it. The USB box allows streaming of higher resolution files.

Price: AUD$9000

Australian buyer preferred. Will not ship overseas unless the buyer is well known on WBF.

DSC00793.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing