First trials of active horn speaker

Exactly, and I find that articulate voicing, and given we both like electrostats (i think it was you once gave away acoustats free to whoever could pick them up, long before you joined this forum, and I hated being so far away) that is what I see in the beryllium horn drivers. The nuance, the decay, and the staging is similar

I'm not the "Free Acoustats" guy, sorry! But I am a "Gimme Some Money & I'll Give You Some SoundLabs" guy... so yes, I DO like electrostats.

beryllium drivers like Radian and TAD can go from 500 - 700 to 18k. Some would argue that you need tweeter or 1 inch compression driver anyway to avoid breakup modes.
Hope to try some Be drivers soon but really the Beymas sound quite clean in the highs.

Reactions: bonzo75
Hope to try some Be drivers soon but really the Beymas sound quite clean in the highs.

Possible. My horn strategy is based around dual woofer front loaded horns. That is the best Midbass I know by far, and usually the Achilles heel of most panels and horns. For those, I need to crossover between 500 to 600 if I use a compression driver like tad, Altec, Radian, jbl, or 200ish if I use vitavox etc. I prefer TAD, Beyma I never heard but the crossover doesn't work for me, for a two or three way

Carolus, whose system I liked, had the Beyma in a 5 way, with the vitavox

Reactions: morricab
I'm not the "Free Acoustats" guy, sorry! But I am a "Gimme Some Money & I'll Give You Some SoundLabs" guy... so yes, I DO like electrostats.

Did you have acoustats before?

No joke, I got my first pair of Acoustats for 100 bucks! A pair of old 1+1s that were in the basement of a dealer here in Switzerland. They had been down in his cellar since the late 80s and he had them for 100 advertised on a little placard in his window. I went in and asked if it was a typo (they normally go for like 1000) but he said no and that they worked fine. Took them home, cleaned them them up (the socks were so dirty I just ditched them) and then upgraded the interface caps. Sounded fantastic...best audio deal I ever made...

Reactions: Duke LeJeune
Possible. My horn strategy is based around dual woofer front loaded horns. That is the best Midbass I know by far, and usually the Achilles heel of most panels and horns. For those, I need to crossover between 500 to 600 if I use a compression driver like tad, Altec, Radian, jbl, or 200ish if I use vitavox etc. I prefer TAD, Beyma I never heard but the crossover doesn't work for me, for a two or three way

So far, for drivers that like horn loading, I am finding TQWT to be a VERY good loading for midbass...extremely natural and punchy. The deep bass is so-so but the punch is really awesome (something I absolutely love with my La Bohemes). The Supravox gets a bit deeper but not quite as dynamic in the midbass.

Big woofers would also be great if I had the space...I don't. The large open baffle speakers from Supravox sound VERY good too but they are just too large... another open baffle design with them could be awesome though.

What I will likely eventually do is a DTQWT using a 285GMF from Supravox in a double horn (like Horning does) with the 215-2000 to get about 99db/watt and bass to about 30Hz with real authority.

Did you have acoustats before?

I've never owned Acoustats. Listened to them a lot but that was before I could afford decent speakers (so I did the DIY thing for about two decades).

Big woofers would also be great if I had the space...I don't. The large open baffle speakers from Supravox sound VERY good too but they are just too large... another open baffle design with them could be awesome though.
What I will likely eventually do is a DTQWT using a 285GMF from Supravox in a double horn (like Horning does) with the 215-2000 to get about 99db/watt and bass to about 30Hz with real authority.

Why not trying out the WE-TA 7331 H-baffle? With the matching driver it's a very good bass assembly for horns. We experimented with 12" and 15" drivers.

Reactions: hairyderriere
I have now made several recordings (only IPhone at this point but hope to get some hirez stuff on later).

Settings: Supravox Alizee + Beyma CP755Ti and 18 sound XT1464 horn. Minidsp nanodigi at 1Khz 12db/octave LR filter. Shelf EQ above 7Khz to compensate for the constant directivity horn.

Inverted the horn

A bit brighter, perhaps better separation but also not quite as cohesive between the drivers… need to measure what the difference are but sonically it is pretty different.

Nice! I have been getting my new set-up built. Got the bottom cabinets done hoping to get a listen soon. Have to build the tops next!

Rob :)20200416_202117.jpg20200419_113514.jpg

Nice! I have been getting my new set-up built. Got the bottom cabinets done hoping to get a listen soon. Have to build the tops next!

Rob :)View attachment 64225View attachment 64226

Cool, is that the JBL M2 waveguide? Are you using the JBL driver that goes with it (can't remember the model number) that is a dual diaphragm design? Will you be using digital xover with DSP?

Cool, is that the JBL M2 waveguide? Are you using the JBL driver that goes with it (can't remember the model number) that is a dual diaphragm design? Will you be using digital xover with DSP?

He is using TAD

Inverted the horn

A bit brighter, perhaps better separation but also not quite as cohesive between the drivers… need to measure what the difference are but sonically it is pretty different.

Hi Brad, from my opinion the horn's level is to loud and I'd recommend trying out another filter than LR - for example BW... anpther thing is to find the right slopes but you have to measure it first.

Good luck

Hi Brad, from my opinion the horn's level is to loud and I'd recommend trying out another filter than LR - for example BW... anpther thing is to find the right slopes but you have to measure it first.

Good luck
I have been measuring and this is actually measuring quite flat. I tried BW and found LR preferable.

Good luck
However, it is easy to bring it down a couple db and see what that is like.

Reactions: Joao@altheamusica

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing