Will you take a COVID19 vaccine when available

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The Spanish flu originated in the USA but was first reported in Spain. So you're stuck with the UK-flu.
No, I mean this Covid-19 highly transmissible new variant? The consensus seems to be it was brought into the UK from Spain in the last quarter of 2020.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
This is not an assumption, this is a fact. If you get vaccinated, you will not share the virus. If you don't get the vaccine you will spread the virus.

Facts.
Really not wanting to get more off topic, but please do explain how if I am not exposed to the virus it is possible I will spread the virus?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I will take the vaccine to protect the audiophiles I plan to visit

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Vaccination passports to attend shows?

Reactions: bonzo75

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Really not wanting to get more off topic, but please do explain how if I am not exposed to the virus it is possible I will spread the virus?
Bob,
This is totally on topic, as we are discussing why to get the vaccine.

Are you living in a complete bubble and not having contact with any human being? This is the only way to guarantee not to contract or spread the virus.

Reactions: MRJAZZ and Al M.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I will take the vaccine to protect the audiophiles I plan to visit
Ked brings more trouble to you than potentially Covid if he visits. Can't see there being an effective jab for any of that.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
The Spanish flu originated in the USA but was first reported in Spain. So you're stuck with the UK-flu
Not 100% proven. Some have suggested, China to an American military camp, then to Europe in the trenches.
At the time German, US , UK & French troops suffered from it. None of them wanting to admit to it because of morale, named it "Spanish flu" as Spain was neutral in WWI. Spain was not necessarily badly hit, though it was reported as such.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Bob,
This is totally on topic, as we are discussing why to get the vaccine.

Are you living in a complete bubble and not having contact with any human being? This is the only way to guarantee not to contract or spread the virus.
We are not talking about guaranteeing not getting the virus. It is completely possible and highly likely a large percentage of the population never is exposed to virus. The spanish flu did not infect everyone, the annual flu does not infect everyone, lots of virus spread through the population without infecting everyone. If I am not exposed to the virus there is no possible way I will spread the virus. That is a fact.

Consequently, since I do in fact live almost in a bubble, have worked from home for 20+ years, do not live in an urban environment, do not ride the bus, don't like crowds, etc., (hell, I don't even like people all that much) my possible exposure to the virus is actually quite low and is one of the factors I consider in whether or not to take the vaccine. I do not wear a mask outdoors, but do wear one if shopping, and I practice other recommended precautions. My D levels are very high, as is my zinc and vitamin C intake. I am healthy, exercise regularly, and generally seldom get sick. I don't have children, and my and my wife's parents are passed. I do however take some risk and have audio buddies over occasionally, but they are also very cautious. It is a risk I and my guests have been willing to accept. Many choose not to visit. Its all good.

And, I do my nightly "origin unknown but previously considered to be wuhan" flu test. In fact, its part of my NY resolution... until this shit is over I've decided its best to remain just a little bit drunk! ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Motorcycle riding is an inherently dangerous activity that you voluntarily indulge in. You need a license to do it. If you become disabled the citizens may have to take care of you. Thus we have some say so in the use of safety equipment. I do not volunteer to catch or spread covid19. Therefore I have to some say so in the behavior of others.
Come on guys this is basic stuff.

Reactions: MTB Vince and Al M.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The problem with the helmet analogy is that you not wearing a helmet doesn't kill anyone else. If you want to kill yourself, I think that should be legal in all 50 states. If you don't get a vaccine, you spread the virus that kills or creates life long health problems in other people.

It's not a personal choice, it's a choice for our society.

Jeff, does getting the vaccine mean that you can no longer pass it onto someone else? I thought people are still being asked to continue to wear masks and social distance even after they have received the vaccine.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'll take the vaccine.

but i manage a retail company with over 100 employees and over 100 customers a day. so while we are rigorous in our COVID processes, we will encourage all our employees to take the vaccine when the opportunity presents itself. we have not yet decided whether to require every employee to get vaccinated. but it's a possibility. likely a matter of staying relevant to our customers......who will be compliant (as always) to what our local government says.

i'm also 69 years old and my wife is older; while both of us are very healthy and live in our own bubble as a matter of life style, i think you go with the science. not sure what my wife will do, it's up to her.

i'm neutral as to whether audio friends get vaccinated or not prior to visiting me. but welcome the vaccine.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
We are not talking about guaranteeing not getting the virus. It is completely possible and highly likely a large percentage of the population never is exposed to virus. The spanish flu did not infect everyone, the annual flu does not infect everyone, lots of virus spread through the population without infecting everyone. If I am not exposed to the virus there is no possible way I will spread the virus. That is a fact.

Consequently, since I do in fact live almost in a bubble, have worked from home for 20+ years, do not live in an urban environment, do not ride the bus, don't like crowds, etc., (hell, I don't even like people all that much) my possible exposure to the virus is actually quite low and is one of the factors I consider in whether or not to take the vaccine. I do not wear a mask outdoors, but do wear one if shopping, and I practice other recommended precautions. My D levels are very high, as is my zinc and vitamin C intake. I am healthy, exercise regularly, and generally seldom get sick. I don't have children, and my and my wife's parents are passed. I do however take some risk and have audio buddies over occasionally, but they are also very cautious. It is a risk I and my guests have been willing to accept. Many choose not to visit. Its all good.

And, I do my nightly "origin unknown but previously considered to be wuhan" flu test. In fact, its part of my NY resolution... until this shit is over I've decided its best to remain just a little bit drunk! ;)
Your life style should indeed give you solid protection from catching the virus. I’m personally convinced that my Napa collection will stop me from getting the WuFlu, the UKFlu however....

Reactions: Bobvin

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I am already trying here in Florida to get an appointment to get the shot however so far no luck. I am going to take the vaccine and all my Dr. clients have already been vaccinated and I think for me its the right thing to do. I want to go back to my life and at my age that means protecting yourself as best you can. There are shows to attend, golf to be played, music to see live, poker tourney's to play and IMO this is the best option I have. I only hope that the roll out starts to go better since right now they don't seem to have a clue how to do this correctly. Having people spend all day on the phone, or waiting for a webpage to go back live only to then have to sit in you r car all day is very poorly thought out.

Reactions: Al M.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Your life style should indeed give you solid protection from catching the virus. I’m personally convinced that my Napa collection will stop me from getting the WuFlu, the UKFlu however....
Well, we tried to give cricket to the US, maybe better luck w the UKFlu.

Reactions: Bobvin

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I'm sure the UKflu can be cured by a generous dose of Scottish whiskey ! ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have you seen the tariffs on that to the US?!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I'm sure the UKflu can be cured by a generous dose of Scottish whiskey ! ;)
... and I believe that a bowl of Scottish haggis will also kill 99% of all known germs :eek:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Motorcycle riding is an inherently dangerous activity that you voluntarily indulge in. You need a license to do it. If you become disabled the citizens may have to take care of you. Thus we have some say so in the use of safety equipment. I do not volunteer to catch or spread covid19. Therefore I have to some say so in the behavior of others.
Come on guys this is basic stuff.

I wasn't trying to argue the societal impact of riding a motorcycle. It was about value systems. Either way do you believe in living to learn? If not I'm confused because I thought you were a lawyer and I doubt you suggest death over reform? :p

But great point on the nature of elective activity!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Folsom my father always said, "stay ln the game." "Because as long as you are in the game you can still win."
I assume your reference to the motorcycle was either a metaphor or an analogy. I have little interest in in zero sum games. For me not taking the vaccine presents no upside for me. When you think about it (vaccine) is an immune system stimulus. That makes at least a quasi wholistic medicine.
I would not mind if one day we had a couple of beers and talked philosophy. I could learn something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing