Fiber vs. Ethernet sonic differences

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
@MarcelNL - Very interesting. Did you install just a cheap switch?

Torben
yeah, ISP fiber goes straight into the Fritzbox 5530, from there on one stretch of CAT6 to a cheap Netgear 205(I think) which serves the house wired internet (IPTV mainly). The AP is still connected directly to the router and its internal WIFI is not yet switched off...so I figure that separating out the IPTV alone has quite an impact already.
The audio switch is linked to the router using CAT8.1.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
now that I cracked the wifi conundrum I'll tinker some more with network topology, hoping to be able to connect the AP via the switch too but that may not be feasible...can always try use the router provided by the ISP for that.

I have to say that WIFI using the Fritz router/AP is immensly good!

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Hi. I thought that you setup was:

Router - Switch - Switch - Audio​

Torben
no, I always had the audio on 1 switch and the rest direct from the router

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
so I managed to get the first AP do WIFI and the router not doing WIFI and connected a repeater via Mesh and I got access to wifi back on 1 laptop (W11pro)
Connecting the AP via LAN with the switch in between does not work, sadly...that is likely where a second router comes into play...

Last edited:

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL vs. Cisco SFP-10G-AOC5M: (SPF's are used to connect two daisy-chained SOtM 10G switches)

My system, preferences, yada yada...

I am using Gold cable with the FTLF1318P3BTL. FTLF1318P3BTL is superior to the Finisar FCBG110SD1C05, and again I liked the latter, that is until I heard the Cisco and 1318P3BTL. Now, I couldn't go back. Comparatively, the 1318P3BTL doesn't have the same issues with veering too far toward a bright, lean and edgy sound. I also think the 1318P3BTL is more refined, more transparent, with a better sound stage. Easy win for the 1318P3BTL.

Now for a comparison with the Cisco. The overall center of gravity is pulled more toward the mids and lower frequencies with the Cisco, whereas the FTLF1318P3BTL overall center of gravity is further up the frequency spectrum to mids/highs, if that makes sense. Cisco has a smoother, rounder, lusher, meatier sound, while still being detailed and transparent. Cisco sound staging is grander, much deeper, and set back further from the speaker plane as compared to FTLF1318P3BTL. Overall the Cisco has a very sophisticated, refined, luxurious sound, but not in a rolled off, old school warm and gooey sense. It still delivers the audiophile goods.

FTLF1318P3BTL is more overtly detailed, and the overall sense of clarity/transparency is more noticeable, but it doesn't go over the top toward being too clinical, or too bright/glassy/edgy. It is more caffeinated and energetic than the Cisco.

1318P3BTL may appeal more to the brain, Cisco more toward the soul, using terminology from audio reviewers. In the end, both options are very, very good and I am so glad I decided to experiment. Otherwise I'd be missing out on the superior sound of the Cisco and 1318P3BTL, thinking the FCBG110SD1C05 was as good as it gets. This is one where you really need to try in your system as I could see this cutting either way. In the end, I am going with the Cisco as the daily driver, but also keeping the 1318P3BTL.

Last edited:
Reactions: orange55 and TRHH

kostas6a3

Mar 24, 2021
Maroussi Greece
These days I'm testing the connection of the two Finisar1475 with optical fiber LC/APC which in turn connect the two switches (Melco S100 and Uptone EtherREGEN).
While searching the internet I found this: https://www.fiberopticshare.com/fiber-sfp-module-compatibility-apc-upc-pc.html
So it says "Plus, it’s not recommended to use APC connectors in fiber SFP modules ".
Functionally, the connection with LC/APC works without problems.
As far as the SQ is concerned, the LC/APC connection may have a little more clarity and detail, but loses in body compared to the LC/UPC, in my opinion. The defferences are very subtiles.
So reading the article above and since I couldn't find anything on the Finisar 1475 data sheet about compatibility with UPC and APC, the UPC will probably be kept.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
These days I'm testing the connection of the two Finisar1475 with optical fiber LC/APC which in turn connect the two switches (Melco S100 and Uptone EtherREGEN).
While searching the internet I found this: https://www.fiberopticshare.com/fiber-sfp-module-compatibility-apc-upc-pc.html
So it says "Plus, it’s not recommended to use APC connectors in fiber SFP modules ".
As far as the SQ is concerned, the LC/APC connection may have a little more clarity and detail, but loses in body compared to the LC/UPC, in my opinion. The defferences are very subtiles.
So reading the article above and since I couldn't find anything on the Finisar 1475 data sheet about compatibility with UPC and APC, the UPC will probably be kept.
Once the new CPU has a few miles on it I'll have to go back and forth between APC and UPC to hear if things changed, I did not hear loss of body. For now the APC stays where it is as I like what I'm hearing.
Loss of 'body' IME is often an initial impression that IMO (perhaps incorrectly) is an effect due to 'unfolding' detail otherwise 'compressed'. Listen to a string quartet live, and then to a recording and compare 'body' and 'detail', the major difference IME is that live all details arrive in correct time/place and in parallel, while in a reproduction everything is squeezed into an audio container.

Reactions: StreamFidelity

kostas6a3

Mar 24, 2021
Maroussi Greece
Once the new CPU has a few miles on it I'll have to go back and forth between APC and UPC to hear if things changed, I did not hear loss of body. For now the APC stays where it is as I like what I'm hearing.
Loss of 'body' IME is often an initial impression that IMO (perhaps incorrectly) is an effect due to 'unfolding' detail otherwise 'compressed'. Listen to a string quartet live, and then to a recording and compare 'body' and 'detail', the major difference IME is that live all details arrive in correct time/place and in parallel, while in a reproduction everything is squeezed into an audio container.
Also in the article you mention:

Fiber SFP Module Compatibility Is Important

........Therefore, misalignment will be created when mating APC and SFP module, which will result in more loss and even the interface within the transceiver may be damaged.

Reactions: TRHH

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022

Thanks for sharing.

What CAT standard is "Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver"?

Torben

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Also in the article you mention:

Fiber SFP Module Compatibility Is Important

........Therefore, misalignment will be created when mating APC and SFP module, which will result in more loss and even the interface within the transceiver may be damaged.
not sure I'm understanding this correctly, I am not referring to anything but replying to your post. IN that article you refer to it indeed says something about 'will result in more loss and even the interface within the transceiver may be damaged' I read that and shrugged my shoulders, 1475BTL is not unobtanium, I have others, and LCLC UPC already installed so a switch is done within minutes. Without any solid background about 'more loss' and 'may be damaged' and my experience up to now I'm not overly worried, yet I may be proven wrong here,

kostas6a3

Mar 24, 2021
Maroussi Greece

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021

interesting claim, perfect conductivity does not at all guarantee perfect transmission in high bandwidth data transfer.
As much as I like Neotech UPOCC

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
interesting claim, perfect conductivity does not at all guarantee perfect transmission in high bandwidth data transfer.
As much as I like Neotech UPOCC

I can't fin any information about which CAT it is.

Torben

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I can't fin any information about which CAT it is.

Torben
I noticed that too, if perfect it should do >2Ghz like Cat 8

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
@MarcelNL Have you ever used Fiber Optic Attenuator in your setup?

1683570681415.png

Picture from Jeremy - jandersonhill

Best,
Torben

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
@MarcelNL Have you ever used Fiber Optic Attenuator in your setup?

View attachment 109117

Picture from Jeremy - jandersonhill

Best,
Torben
I never did, I'm using a 15 meter stretch of fiber which likely makes it required given the transducer maximum range of 10Km...

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
I never did, I'm using a 15 meter stretch of fiber which likely makes it required given the transducer maximum range of 10Km...

THX - If you have 3 meter fiber and SFP 10KM would Attenuator be needed?

Torben

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I have to confess I forgot where the 'need' becomes real, I read up on that stuff two or so years ago and concluded I'd go without 'sunglasses'

It's not as black and white as that and I recall most folks ended up not using 'sunglasses'.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing