Fiber vs. Ethernet sonic differences

pk_LA

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2021
First, a quick summary of my pipeline from the router to the dac.

Router (1Gb fiber into house) -> cat 6 -> Ethernet surge protector -> Cisco Catalyst 250 switch -> SFP+ (more on this later) -> Cisco Catalyst 250 switch -> Ethernet -> Transparent XL Power Conditioner -> Transparent Ethernet -> dCS Vivaldi Upsampler

I have experimented with the connection between the two switches. One would think with all of these points of indirection in the system that would not affect the sound much. But, it has...below are the variants tried.

1) Ethernet cat6: Baseline
2) Cisco clone SFP+ 850nm MMF: Somewhat thin sound, better resolution and instrument separation. Sound-stage flattened.
3) Star Tech SFP+ 1310nm SMF: Better resolution. Slightly flatter sound-stage.
4) Finisar SFP+ 1310nm SMF : Much thinner sound - Lost body and density. Much higher resolution. Fatiguing.
5) Supra cat8: Very very little difference between this and baseline.

The difference between fiber and Ethernet is not surprising. But, the difference between the SFP modules is baffling to me!

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I can see SFP modules sounding different just like different cables, etc. Now I'm also of the belief we put way too much into things like this. But this is part of the Audiophile hobby I guess.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
First, a quick summary of my pipeline from the router to the dac.

Router (1Gb fiber into house) -> cat 6 -> Ethernet surge protector -> Cisco Catalyst 250 switch -> SFP+ (more on this later) -> Cisco Catalyst 250 switch -> Ethernet -> Transparent XL Power Conditioner -> Transparent Ethernet -> dCS Vivaldi Upsampler

I have experimented with the connection between the two switches. One would think with all of these points of indirection in the system that would not affect the sound much. But, it has...below are the variants tried.

1) Ethernet cat6: Baseline
2) Cisco clone SFP+ 850nm MMF: Somewhat thin sound, better resolution and instrument separation. Sound-stage flattened.
3) Star Tech SFP+ 1310nm SMF: Better resolution. Slightly flatter sound-stage.
4) Finisar SFP+ 1310nm SMF : Much thinner sound - Lost body and density. Much higher resolution. Fatiguing.
5) Supra cat8: Very very little difference between this and baseline.

The difference between fiber and Ethernet is not surprising. But, the difference between the SFP modules is baffling to me!
i predict when you have settled on a dac and server, that you will be using a great switch, then a quality Ethernet cable to your server.

i had fiber and the SFP modules (which one mattered) and they did matter; then as the Extreme evolved with the USB card at the end (of my time with my Extreme) a great switch and copper Ethernet was better to the Extreme. and that is what works best with the Wadax Ref Server too.

it does not mean you might not use fibre in other spots in optimizing your network. but as the last leg copper turned out to be best for the Extreme (last i checked with Emile) and the Wadax.

but you are dealing with optimizing the dCS so it's different. just don't expect that to be necessarily relevant to another server or dac choice.

Last edited:

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I can see SFP modules sounding different just like different cables, etc.
My heart sunk when I saw people discussing this. Did I really have to audition SFP modules?! But, the answer is yes. I bought a bunch and they all sounded different. What's worse, though, is that some of those claimed to sound the best are no longer made and hard to find.

How long before we start to see audiophile SFP modules, I wonder?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
@pk_LA Interesting findings. So for you SFP sounds less good.

True, SFP modules sound different. I have not listen to more than 3 but noticeable difference. I use Finisar 1318. Works very well for me. Finisar 1475 gave a darker sound. I use Phoenix glass fibre cable. Singelmode. Personally I have not experienced thinner / flatter sound from SFP modules. For me it has just decreased the noice level.

Lan cables makes also a difference as switches do….. Switches more than Lan cables i think. I have tried quite a few switches. The Cisco 2960, EE8, EtherRegen and I have now a Melco S100 modified by Pink Faun. Powered by two Farad Super3.

Lan cables into my streamer (from the S100) is Pink Faun and out from my Melco N1Z a Vertere.

Audiophile is for me listening and enjoying music and looking for “sound improvements”. Nice hobby but can be very expensive.

Last edited:

pk_LA

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2021
I have the Finisar FTLF1321P1BTL. For me it is accurate and sterile.

I have been listening to the Star Tech Cisco SFP-10G-LR Compatible SFP+ Module - 10GBASE-LR - 10GbE SMF. It is basically a Cisco clone that costs $300 vs the Cisco at $1,500 per module. I am actually liking it a bit more than Ethernet cable - it has almost the warmth but more resolution.

I just bought a Shunyata Omega Ethernet (I maybe need to have my head examined for spending that much on an Ethernet cable!). I will post how that sounds after some break-in.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I have the Finisar FTLF1321P1BTL. For me it is accurate and sterile.

I have been listening to the Star Tech Cisco SFP-10G-LR Compatible SFP+ Module - 10GBASE-LR - 10GbE SMF. It is basically a Cisco clone that costs $300 vs the Cisco at $1,500 per module. I am actually liking it a bit more than Ethernet cable - it has almost the warmth but more resolution.

I just bought a Shunyata Omega Ethernet (I maybe need to have my head examined for spending that much on an Ethernet cable!). I will post how that sounds after some break-in.
HaHa, maybe most of us should check up our heads. I have told myself that max 1000 for an Ethernet cable but on the other side I paid 6000 for the S100 switch modified by Pink Faun. Fortunately including two Super3.

I really would like to know what you think of the Omega.

i have two upgrades I think of now. The new Chord M6 Powerhaus and try (and if as good as I think buy) the new loudspeaker cable Reference from the Danish company OePhi.

Reactions: jasond

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Did any of you try the Adot MC01 kit ? and is it really better than the ones you find on Amazon for much less money ?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I can not answer the question if an “Amazon” is equal as an ADOT. Never compared. But there are a comment from the reviewer saying that people have said it’s a difference.

I bought the ADOT and I agree fully with the reviewer and his findings. Nice upgrade.

I started with the basic, added a SBooster then changed to glass fibre optic. Finally I replaced the SBooster with a Farad Super3. The bare ADOT made a nice difference and each one of the upgrades made it even “nicer”. As the reviewer write.

I am also curious to know if a member on the Forum can verify that ADOT is superior than an “Amazon”.

Gunnar

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
This Audiophile Style post may be of interest to anyone following this thread:

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
This Audiophile Style post may be of interest to anyone following this thread:
Interesting post. I tried the 1475 D 3 BTL. Let it sit in for a week or two before I moved back to my 1318. In my setup and room it was between the two a clear difference in sound. 1475 was darker in sound than the 1318 and did neither sound as musical as the 1318. i have also read that people prefer the 1324 over the 1318. So ….. I am no expert in this field but believe which SFB to choose depends on setup / room and taste. Fortunately it’s not to expensive to try different SFBs.. And optic makes a positive change.

i have no clue if it’s a difference in sound between two different brands of optic glass fibre cables. I have just one from Phoenix.

Reactions: audiobomber

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have a good switch and know it matters. I have tried a couple erhernet cables and I can hear them. I also tried a Gigafoil. I a heard that too, but quickly removed it. I took it to 2 clients homes and it subjectively changed the sound in a way they did not like either.

A lot of this is taste and what the cable supports. But, a quality switch always seems to be a benefit.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I have a good switch and know it matters. I have tried a couple erhernet cables and I can hear them. I also tried a Gigafoil. I a heard that too, but quickly removed it. I took it to 2 clients homes and it subjectively changed the sound in a way they did not like either.

A lot of this is taste and what the cable supports. But, a quality switch always seems to be a benefit.
I already own a very good switch but i wonder if puting 2 of these converters between my switch and streamer will make a difference.

kostas6a3

Mar 24, 2021
Maroussi Greece
I am currently in this phase as well. In my system changing SFPs between Melco N100 and EtherREGEN and yes they sound different.
In 1318P3BTL the sound, in my opinion, is sharper and with not so good control of the bass. It strongly resembles "digital sound".
In the 1475D3BTL the sound is smoother, with the same resolution as the 1318 but with better bass control and greater homogeneity.
All hearings were done with a 3m plastic optic pending the Phoenix glass optic.
At the moment it remains placed in the 1475.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I already own a very good switch but i wonder if puting 2 of these converters between my switch and streamer will make a difference.
If you had a ground loop you were trying to resolve, an optical isolator can be a must.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Yes you have a really good switch. As myself and optic made a clear positive difference. So I believe it would make a positive difference for you also.

No possible for you to get two ADOTs on loan? If not maybe you can buy two cheap from Amazon and try. Just be sure you buy compatible SFBs and optical cable.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I am currently in this phase as well. In my system changing SFPs between Melco N100 and EtherREGEN and yes they sound different.
In 1318P3BTL the sound, in my opinion, is sharper and with not so good control of the bass. It strongly resembles "digital sound".
In the 1475D3BTL the sound is smoother, with the same resolution as the 1318 but with better bass control and greater homogeneity.
All hearings were done with a 3m plastic optic pending the Phoenix glass optic.
At the moment it remains placed in the 1475.
Isn’t this the beauty with our hobby? There are not just one answer. The room, the electronics and maybe other things plays in. in my place the 1318 has not a “digital sound”. My tests where done with a Phoenix glass fibre cable. …..

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
Isn’t this the beauty with our hobby? There are not just one answer. The room, the electronics and maybe other things plays in. in my place the 1318 has not a “digital sound”. My tests where done with a Phoenix glass fibre cable. …..
Can you advise where you purchased the “Phoenix glass fibre cable” thanks.

kostas6a3

Mar 24, 2021
Maroussi Greece

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing