Feedback Issues - Grounding? Help!

vcpd

Jan 4, 2023
Hi Everyone,

Hoping I could get some help with an issue that recently started occurring on our older turntable. I am getting a very loud, low feedback noise when I turn on. It does not happen consistently. I've tried reseating and replacing the needle altogether to no avail. Any tips?

Here is a video of what I'm experiencing - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nZEuypdPpZosMqiEMER1U0pcB2qR5pxr/view?usp=sharing

Do I need to look more at replacing the cartridge? Should I diagnose wire connections to the cartridge? This is all new to me.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I couldn't access the video, but I would start by checking all the connections to make sure one has not loosened over time. Make sure everything is off, then reseat every connection at the cartridge and preamp, including (and especially) the ground wires. It is also possible there is a loose connection someplace; check that by turning the volume low and (gently!) wiggling the wires and connectors.

You might want to try a contact cleaner on them whilst checking and reseating. The one I've been using recently is Berryman: https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-2206-Mass-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B0002JM89A

HTH - Don

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi Everyone,

Hoping I could get some help with an issue that recently started occurring on our older turntable. I am getting a very loud, low feedback noise when I turn on. It does not happen consistently. I've tried reseating and replacing the needle altogether to no avail. Any tips?

Here is a video of what I'm experiencing - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nZEuypdPpZosMqiEMER1U0pcB2qR5pxr/view?usp=sharing

Do I need to look more at replacing the cartridge? Should I diagnose wire connections to the cartridge? This is all new to me.
I couldn't access the video, but I would start by checking all the connections to make sure one has not loosened over time. Make sure everything is off, then reseat every connection at the cartridge and preamp, including (and especially) the ground wires. It is also possible there is a loose connection someplace; check that by turning the volume low and (gently!) wiggling the wires and connectors.

You might want to try a contact cleaner on them whilst checking and reseating. The one I've been using recently is Berryman: https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-2206-Mass-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B0002JM89A

HTH - Don
I agree with @DonH50 , it is best to check all connections to make sure they are all secured and connected properly. Power off your system and then reset every connection to the system. If that does not work, then it would be best to contact your local dealer for further assistance.

TLi

May 27, 2016
Would be tube noise to me. Have you check your tubes?

Try to replace some old tubes with new ones.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As time goes by the internal wires of the arm can become frayed. if possible, check them for wear.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
This sound like severe 60 cycle hum to me. I suspect a grounding problem with the phono wires somewhere.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi Everyone,

What are we looking at, looks like some type of vintage console? Electrons and speaker?

david

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
What are we looking at, looks like some type of vintage console? Electrons and speaker?

david
Looks like an old console to me. Old enough that the wires might get oxidised and start crumbling. Or another thing that might have happened is a faulty electrolytic capacitor in the power supply.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Looks like an old console to me. Old enough that the wires might get oxidised and start crumbling. Or another thing that might have happened is a faulty electrolytic capacitor in the power supply.
That’s my thinking too but I don’t want to make any assumptions about the console’s insides. Refurbishing and replacing such consoles with new electronics while keeping the vintage look is a thing, hence my question.

david

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
That’s my thinking too but I don’t want to make any assumptions about the console’s insides. Refurbishing and replacing such consoles with new electronics while keeping the vintage look is a thing, hence my question.

david
That is possible, but we don't know until @vcpd answers.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Orr you can just start over with this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing