Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeffrey summed it up perfectly at the end when he said” his system is more dynamic (which he prefers) to my system which is more engaging (which I prefer)

one man’s passion can be another man’s poison
There was no poison here Steve!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
what for me was the best fun was, as Peter said, hearing both systems, using electronics with similar DNA but different speakers and listening to the net effect. You're right, it was all good Jeff. Mine was a figure of speech. I came home after hearing DSOM at your house on that pressing and listened too mine and although I thought it was very good, it came no where close to yours.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Agreed. My comment about my horns was more about my personal preferences and that I like dynamics. So if I owned Steve's system I would use the Lamm M1.2 hybrids on the X2's.

I considered it, I still own the M1.2R. But you loose a lot in other aspects when you move from ML3 to M1.2R. :confused: Although I now only listen to the Dark Side in the company of friends, even some of my Savall recordings need more dynamics than the Dark Side.

Reactions: bonzo75

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
If the earth was flat (and some on this forum might jump in to a debate it is), Seattle is a corner while Oslo is more center

there might have been a time when that was correct......

but now? it's a small world, somewhat defined by Seattle.

Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, Costco, Boeing, Hendrix, Nirvana............

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I considered it, I still own the M1.2R. But you loose a lot in other aspects when you move from ML3 to M1.2R. :confused: Although I now only listen to the Dark Side in the company of friends, even some of my Savall recordings need more dynamics than the Dark Side.

I borrowed the Lamm M1.1s briefly for my Magicos. 100 Class A watts. That combination sounded fantastic. There is, however, some magic with the Lamm SETs that is missing with the SS. I understand where both Steve and Jeff are coming from.

I hadn't listened to DSOTM for ages and then Jeff visited and wanted to hear it followed by Ian and then Al.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Frasier Crane? Pearl Jam?
Pearl Jam is a much loved Seattle pureblood for sure and lasted multiple decades, but they have never been the iconic, global shooting star, watershed musical forces that Nirvana or Hendrix were.

OTOH Frasier Crane was Hollywood's view of Seattle.....not quite....Seattle.

Reactions: jeff1225

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Mike, wasn't making a Hendrix v Pearl Jam comparo. Just expanding the envelope.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Steve Williams

I borrowed the Lamm M1.1s briefly for my Magicos. 100 Class A watts. That combination sounded fantastic. There is, however, some magic with the Lamm SETs that is missing with the SS. I understand where both Steve and Jeff are coming from.

I hadn't listened to DSOTM for ages and then Jeff visited and wanted to hear it followed by Ian and then Al.
Peter

I totally agree.

for my ears the Lamm Signature Series is magic to my ears. They drive my speakers but not with the ease that they do on horn speakers with higher efficiency

at David’s house his preamp was set to 3 or 4 on the gain control whereas at my house playing the same records my gain control was set at 8

hearing DSOM at Jeff’s house had me thinking of it all the way home and it was the first thing I played. Totally different presentation than Jeff’s. The slam in his system when played totally toasted mine

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Two common elements that I can't help but notice are the Lamm electronics and vinyl. I do not think these two systems will be changing much. (...)

Curiously I find more interesting the differences between the systems than the similarities. And as far as I see it, currently Steve does not care about being vinyl or digital, all he wants is enjoying the music!

Reactions: Steve Williams

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Curiously I find more interesting the differences between the systems than the similarities. And as far as I see it, currently Steve does not care about being vinyl or digital, all he wants is enjoying the music!

Yes, the differences are interesting too. I see them mostly as speaker and matching amp choices, but also the rooms and degree of dampening. Cables and accessories are also quite different, but as you say, Steve seems very happy to be done and simply enjoy his music. No doubt, Jeff is enjoying his music too.

Around here, my audio friends have panels, full range cone, monitor/sub, and now corner horns. Tubes/SS/digital/vinyl. Vast differences in sound and presentation, but surely each prefers what he has and enjoys his music. These systems are not really changing now either.

Differences are what make things interesting and lead to spirited forum chat.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
My Stones albums sound like shit, Does this one sound better?

Than what you have - canna say. I expect less and have no problems with the album. It's Keith's raw voice and guitar flavored with a bit of reggae. Kinda cool slow flow. Try 'Words of Wonder'. I don't emphasize dynamics per se but the whack of stick on snare is a shot through the heart.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Agreed The Stones albums suck sonically and the K Richard album isn't much better.......
not if you get the grey market 1/4" 15ips master dub tapes (have 3 nice ones). but even then there are great cuts sonically and others that are rough. i think Stone's Lp's are like that.....each cut has it's own sonics. some are demo quality.

or the right early mono pressings (only have a couple).

most of my stereo pressings are 'meh'. got to be in the mood for some raw rock n' roll. it's not Vivaldi.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I’ve posted this also in the Horizon thread in thecDAC forum

Come Hear The West Coast Debut Of The Newly Released Lampizator Horizon

A Chance to Hear The Horizon and Meet Lukas Fikus (Master Yoda) And Fred Ainsley(LampiNA)

Feb 12, 13, 14 (although final dates to be determined)

over the past 6 months I have posted many times that I have reached the stage of my my system where I am finally playing my system to hear the music rather than playing the music to hear my system although I did say that I had 2 future upgrades to complete my system. Well not surprisingly I have purchased a Horizon and with the global launch of the product here at WBF I have been in contact with Fred and Lukasz for the past several months anticipating the release of the Horizon and getting to know quite a bit about the product. I have yet to announce the second piece of equipment that will be added and these two components should happily carry me off into the Horizon ( no pun intended)

To that extent I have been aware that Lukasz and Fred will be showing the Horizon at the Florida show in February. Well I would like to announce to alll who read this that I have encouraged Lukasz and Fred to come West first before the Florida show, as by that time, I will have my new Horizon with hopefully adequate tube burn in, such that I am going to open my house and my system to any and all interested who want to hear the Horizon in a well treated and set up room. Dates are still yet to be finalized but I am hoping Lukasz will arrive at my house on or before Friday Feb 11 and if so I will have an open house all day Feb 12 and Feb 13 as well as the evening of Feb 14

Although I have chosen which tubes I prefer Lukasz will be bringing a bag of tubes and we will hopefully have time to create a tube selection that will maximize the Horizon in my system As you all know I am not a tube roller. I prefer to seek the most natural sound and settle on that

So to all members and those reading this thread, this is an open invitation to all to come hear the Horizon at my house in my system and not have any worries about room issues at an audio show. Plus how much greater can it be to meet and hear Master Yoda , the brains behind it all, give personal demos. Also Fred will be hear as well. For those who don't know Fred, he is LampiNAhere on WBF and is the USA distributor for the Lampizator products. Fred has helped me immensely in my Lampizator quest and he will be here as well for these day.

As I think about this post, I realize that this is actually more than the West Coast Debut of the Horizon but in all likelihood the USA and possibly even global debut. So to everyone reading, it's cheap to get here. Southwest Air into John Wayne Orange County Airport is the easiest. For those coming by car I am about 60 miles south got Los Angeles. I live in a guarded gate community so I am requesting that you contact me by PM so I can put names of attendees on the gate pass otherwise they will deny deny entry

Lukasz and Fred have been gracious to make this happen so I am hoping that those along the west coast and here in California will take the drive, have a listen and meet Lukas and Fred. I am very excited about this and I know Lukas and Fred feel the same.

I have a small listening room so I would prefer to give times for attendees so they can spend the most time listening. AsA Result I am posting this a few months early and I will give updates as we get closer but again this will be the big North American Debut

Reactions: CDC77

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing