Do you use cables to 'tune' the sonics of your system?

Do you use cables to 'tune' the sonics of your system?

• Total voters
Pictures of CCs with links to CC site have been posted multiple times on WBF. CC wasn't subject to any secrecy and not what the two gentlemen were referring to :) .

david

David,

Well, as I got my "DDK cables" directly from you I refrained to post any technical details or photos about them until now. Thanks for allowing it, I will be back on the subject.

BTW, a few of the cables you sent me have the same LL code but are 16AWG, not 14AWG.

Sorry, but vintage and unobtainium will never be on my wish list.

Probably my DIY activities will center around modifying the Quad ESL 63 like the SME people did, adding 200 lbs of brass frames to each of them. I have two pairs needing stator gluing, a tedious work. Just researching on the best modern, not vintage ;), glue to do it!

Sorry, but vintage and unobtainium will never be on my wish list.

Probably my DIY activities will center around modifying the Quad ESL 63 like the SME people did, adding 200 lbs of brass frames to each of them. I have two pairs needing stator gluing, a tedious work. Just researching on the best modern, not vintage ;), glue to do it!
Unobtainium has the minor drawback of being unobtainium, which is unfortunate but when you are open to diy, there are probably other options available.
You "only" have to find something you like a lot and then convince the builder to share his findings with you ;)

Reactions: bonzo75
(...) You "only" have to find something you like a lot and then convince the builder to share his findings with you ;)

I did it with the Quad's :) The current SME factory owner, son of the founder, send me the detailed plans to machine the brass frames and the ESL63 modifications.

Unobtainium has the minor drawback of being unobtainium, which is unfortunate but when you are open to diy, there are probably other options available.
You "only" have to find something you like a lot and then convince the builder to share his findings with you ;)

He is not open to it. He just wants to post that he considered the option and ruled it out.

Reactions: christoph
View attachment 87576
Lamm's are fitted with elaborate industrial power supply filters. From their web site : "All LAMM models are equipped with internally built power line filters of high quality. " See this photo of the ML3 power supply:
emc / rfi filters are in themselves a really good thing they filter high-frequency dirt from the mains, usually 200khz and above. but there are also bad models that severely limit the dynamics. is like looking for a good tasting wine; it doesn't have to be expensive, but it can. with a filter power cord can sound really bad. choose your cables wisely

Almost looks like it :oops:

I will only rule it out the day I sell the ML3's. IMHO they are too good sounding to be used as door stops. It is why I ask for constructive explicit advice on speaker matching with them, hoping to hear about a solution that pleases my preferences. But I mainly trust knowledgeable audiophiles, and I am almost immune to youtube videos and audiophile cyberbullying.

I will only rule it out the day I sell the ML3's. IMHO they are too good sounding to be used as door stops. It is why I ask for constructive explicit advice on speaker matching with them, hoping to hear about a solution that pleases my preferences. But I mainly trust knowledgeable audiophiles, and I am almost immune to youtube videos and audiophile cyberbullying.

Fransisco, Your ML3s are fantastic amplifiers. Of course, my exposure has only been on David's Bionors. I don't know about pleasing your preferences, but you have received some sage advice in public from ddk here on the forum in four different threads that I could find. He may have also given you advice in private:

From the Lamm ML3 + LL1, at last! thread:
Yes, hardly any current production speakers qualify, the best modern current production speakers that match the ML3 well are Kharmas. The Midi Grand Exquisite is the ideal partner for ML3 otherwise it's vintage speakers and there are great ones to choose from.

david

It all depends on how they took those measurements Ron, you can't go by posted numbers without knowing what's behind them. Kharma Exquisite Midid Grand is only rated at 91db but it's an excellent match to the ML3, much better than the higher rated Wilson Alexandria & XLF which I find lacking or at best borderline. Francisco is correct;

Wilsons need higher damping and lot more current to get those heavy long throw woofers moving properly.

david

From the Natural Sound thread:
It wasn't Peter it was me who recommended particular Kharma speakers as a good match for the ML3, nothing to do with SETs in general. Having set them up several times at CES and installed the same combination at client's homes I know it very well, no compatibility problems.

david

From the Zero Distortion: Tango Time thread:
Some of the Kharmas are a great match and Wilson Grand Slamm which should available at reasonable prices too. Of course it without saying that high end vintage horns are also a great match for the ML3. I know from experience that ML2 & ML3 are a poor match to the Duos, Trios or any other half active speaker.

david

From the Ocean Way Audio HRA Loudspeakers thread:
Materials have pretty specific sonic characteristics Ked why people opt for one over the other. Yes the implementation matters but material is material.

We setup a lot of Kharma/Lamm ML2 systems with no issues almost all with the Focal Be driver, even with in couple of systems with Focal Grand Utopias the ML2 drove them. Yes the big woofer would have benefited from more power and current but overall the sound was excellent. ML3 can drive any of them.

david

Reactions: tima and ddk
Peter, what is the point that they are no longer produced? Do you want to share this factual information with us or not?

And yes, I own a lot of CC's that David sold me. I have often referred to it in my posts.

Did you really compare these current CC or are these just guesses? Did you try top quality industrial or hospital cables from known US manufacturers?

Members tried them and did not like??? :oops: :oops: :oops: BTW, I also keep mine hoping I will find someone looking desperately for them who will trade them with Nordost Odin Gold - 3 NOG for each CC!
I have 14 of them ! I am rich ! :eek:

Reactions: tima and PeterA
Both he and Lagonda are restrained from disclosing their things on the forum
Tang and i are under a strict NDA, Ron will not let us disclose our heavy gauge cables and swing them around anymore, it's a cultural thing !:rolleyes: The sanctions can be serious, just look at what happened to Cableman ! :eek:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: XV-1 and PeterA
Fransisco, Your ML3s are fantastic amplifiers. Of course, my exposure has only been on David's Bionors. I don't know about pleasing your preferences, but you have received some sage advice in public from ddk here on the forum in four different threads that I could find. He may have also given you advice in private:

From the Lamm ML3 + LL1, at last! thread:

From the Natural Sound thread:

From the Zero Distortion: Tango Time thread:

From the Ocean Way Audio HRA Loudspeakers thread:

Thanks Peter, I know about it. This speaker was shown in the CES 2018 with the ML3 and my turntable, I researched it and asked several people. I have explained before why I ruled out these Karma's.

That’s pretty funny. Of course Anyone can respond to any post, but Brian freaked yesterday when I responded to a question that Fransisco asked Tim. Now Brian broke his own rules and answered a question that Micro asked me and not him. Rules for thee but not me is spreading even here to the audio forums.

Now we will all be waiting to see what Francisco will actually do, if anything, with the model number Bazelio posted. Or was he just yanking my cord?
Francisco will do absolutely nothing, he is all talk ! He still has a AS 2000 Pabst motor tucked away in a draw somewhere, and a excellent Forsell Air reference TT that desperately needs that motor !;)

Reactions: tima
Thanks Peter, I know about it. This speaker was shown in the CES 2018 with the ML3 and my turntable, I researched it and asked several people. I have explained before why I ruled out these Karma's.
Can you please repeat why?
I can't remember reading it and I would like to know...

Reactions: Lagonda
16, I am a winner! And one of them is 16AWG - it must be even more valuable!
As far as I can recall all orders were for the same powercord which was 14 guage. I don't know what you have there if it's just a misprint or a the actual conductor is 16 gauge. You should investigate, it could be one of those rare mistakes made by US mint printing some currency worth millions today!

david

Reactions: Lagonda
Can you please repeat why?
I can't remember reading it and I would like to know...

Briefly, a summary of many reasons. They are lower efficiency and supposed to be lower impedance than my XLF's.I could not get any reliable measurements on the Kharma. Kharma people was not favorable and privately told me that the M1.2R would be a much better match to these speakers.

Remember that the ML3 have higher output impedance than the ML2.2. I will not consider a 3 ohm speaker with a 3 ohm output impedance SET amplifier. Also price and availability - they have no distribution in my country.

Reactions: christoph
Briefly, a summary of many reasons. They are lower efficiency and supposed to be lower impedance than my XLF's.I could not get any reliable measurements on the Kharma. Kharma people was not favorable and privately told me that the M1.2R would be a much better match to these speakers.

Remember that the ML3 have higher output impedance than the ML2.2. I will not consider a 3 ohm speaker with a 3 ohm output impedance SET amplifier. Also price and availability - they have no distribution in my country.
Thanks for your answer, Francisco

As far as I can recall all orders were for the same powercord which was 14 guage. I don't know what you have there if it's just a misprint or a the actual conductor is 16 gauge. You should investigate, it could be one of those rare mistakes made by US mint printing some currency worth millions today!

david

It is 16 gauge, I measured it and it has higher resistance. It sounds much better than all the others, Peter will not sleep well tonight! ;)
a1.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing