DMC30 s2

coopersark

May 24, 2013
My guess is the button panel is connected to the board with a multi-pin connector and it may have been dislodged during shipping; I wonder whether the dealer can take a quick look.

My Spectral 4000-SL CD player's eject button behaves the same way. This may be how the current Spectral electronics touch controls behave. Again, I never really gave it much thought, as on the second tap, whatever the command, works.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Interesting... could it be that the first tap wakes up the processor and the second executes? What if you press once and hold?

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
This is " normal" behaviour !?
I tried the amp on a AC source at 60 Hz but no difference.
I'm glad that all these strange issues are compensated by a great audio performance:D

mmatuva

Oct 26, 2012
Oddly enough, I seem to have this issue to my relatively new (9 month) unit. I can't think that it is by design, because the behavior is not consistent. About 2/3 of the time, the first tap changes the source without a problem; but, the other 1/3 it takes a couple of pushes of the button to switch. When I first read the thread, I thought perhaps the poster (or others) just had not held the button down long enough...it takes a little more effort than a light, quick, tap compared to other preamps. However, having read this thread, when I listened to my system last night, I played around with it and sure enough, I can't reliably get the source buttons to change either. I never noticed it because I have a digital-only system, with the 4000-SL as my (only) front end source and so it isn't really a functional issue for me; but, I'll admit that it now bothers me. I'll give my dealer a call and see if their display unit or others behave the same way. If it always took two taps to make the change, then I'd buy that it was by design; but, most of the time, a single press of the button works...just not always. Weird.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Perhaps spectral got a batch of bad ewitches. They should make good on it, Often manufacturers have a European repair shop.

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Interesting... could it be that the first tap wakes up the processor and the second executes? What if you press once and hold?

Pressing and holding does not work. One quick tap and then another...The second tap is the charm. I am not concerned. Never gave it a second thought. I am so used to doing this way that it has become second nature.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Pressing and holding does not work. One quick tap and then another...The second tap is the charm. I am not concerned. Never gave it a second thought. I am so used to doing this way that it has become second nature.

So if you tap twice it works. Question: what if you were to switch to another input immediately after that? Would you still need two taps?

coopersark

May 24, 2013
So if you tap twice it works. Question: what if you were to switch to another input immediately after that? Would you still need two taps?

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. The "double tap" is purely random in it's behavior.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
i am still quite miffed as to why one of you owners wouldn't pick up the phone and call Spectral to see if this is normal. If so then question answered. If not, is there a quality control issue

Miffed or puzzled?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I do find it puzzling that the OP hasn't communicated with Spectral directly either through email or a phone call to talk to them about the problem. It seems that should have been the first thing on the list once the problem became apparent.

coopersark

May 24, 2013
I do find it puzzling that the OP hasn't communicated with Spectral directly either through email or a phone call to talk to them about the problem. It seems that should have been the first thing on the list once the problem became apparent.
Since Spectral QC's their products for one month before releasing them from the factory, and since this "issue" is with all three Spectral products that I own that have these touch controls (I also have a 4000s Pro CD player that is in storage awaiting its place in another system that I will build for my office), I believe that it is not a problem at all, rather something of a quirk in Spectral's products. I am not really concerned, as it becomes a second nature that if the tap does not or on the first attempt, it ALWAYS works on the second attempt. Somehow that first attempt may be priming the processor's pump or waking it up, so to speak. Keith Johnson is doing so much to prevent noise in the units that he designs, that this may be an intentional behavior to keep noise out of the audio circuits.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
The design?? What is the idea behind this?
Maybe this behaviour has something todo with the line frequency (50Hz instead of 60 Hz)
Most designers use the line frequence as clock for digital switch selection.

it is not a frequency issue. Same transformer for USA and European versions. Only different cabling/tip board.
Sometimes when switches are not used for a long time, it happens which you have to hold switch for more time than usual or press double time.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
it is not a frequency issue. Same transformer for USA and European versions. Only different cabling/tip board.
Sometimes when switches are not used for a long time, it happens which you have to hold switch for more time than usual or press double time.

Come to think of it...my dCS transport also requires two click when selecting a track. Never have given it a second thought though.:confused::p

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011

Hi you are right!
No relation with the frequency (US 60Hz , EU 50Hz), i tryed both!
230 Vac 50 Hz and 230 Vac 60 Hz by using a AC source.
Also no relation to the switches.
I can reproduce this problem.
It must be in the design!?

coopersark

May 24, 2013
I found this on the Spectral site in my computer's cache, and I believe that this is the reason for the delay in the button/command controls:
"SLEEPING PROCESSORS
Remote control operations in DMC-30 include signal routing choices, gain and balance adjustments, and channel function modes. These and many internal operations for startup and protect conditions are microprocessor controlled. Normally, remote control systems of this functional complexity stay digitally active and ready to respond to commands and the results are evidenced by the strobing or flickering displays as well as noise added to audio signals. To maintain a silent environment for audio signals, all digital activity within the DMC-30 is shut down once an operation change is complete. Even the display is latched to fixed states during the microprocessor sleep interval. Clock cross talk becomes nonexistent and can not propagate to add jitter to digital playback."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing