DMC30 s2

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
That ad has appeared and disappeared several times- not sure what is going on there, but that would have been an unbelievable deal. I went there to bid the first time it appeared, it disappeared, I went in the back way to see the ad, and it was listed as removed by site. Not sure what that means.?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
That ad has appeared and disappeared several times- not sure what is going on there, but that would have been an unbelievable deal. I went there to bid the first time it appeared, it disappeared, I went in the back way to see the ad, and it was listed as removed by site. Not sure what that means.?

Something funny going on with this ad for sure. It appeared with "16 days left" out of nowhere, which is strange because new ads have 30 days. Gone the next day. The seller has 100% positive feedback and seems legit though. "Removed by site" suggests it is fraudulent though, which is usually the case if someone sells far below market value.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Something funny going on with this ad for sure. It appeared with "16 days left" out of nowhere, which is strange because new ads have 30 days. Gone the next day. The seller has 100% positive feedback and seems legit though. "Removed by site" suggests it is fraudulent though, which is usually the case if someone sells far below market value.

for sure is fraudulent.
Original ad and pictures was from an old ad of Elberoth (which was the real owner).

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
for sure is fraudulent.
Original ad and pictures was from an old ad of Elberoth (which was the real owner).

Thanks. I was getting my hopes up on this one (occasionally someone will in fact sell about 20% below market value). although I would never wire the money without verification of who I was transacting with.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
for sure is fraudulent.

This is correct. The ad is a fraud. The images and the text was a simple copy + paste from my ad. I have listed the amps for a friend of mine. The amps are long gone.

The scammer is using a hijacked account of some legit seller (chence perfect feedback). I have already reported this ad twice, but it seems he has an access to more hijacked accounts than one.

If the price looks too good to be true - then most likely it is.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Put in a bid for my amps; the ad is real :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you ever see pictures of a complete stainless steel and gold Primare 200 system, including the very rare 205 tuner, there is an high probability that it is a fraud using my old advertisement. These pictures show regularly in net advertisements all around the world.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Put in a bid for my amps; the ad is real :D

My idea for endgame is 300rs. I figured if I can get the 360 for peanuts, I can see if I even like the Spectral sound and resell with no loss and trade up to 300rs if I do.

If I buy the 360 at your pricepoint (or close), I'd lose a few grant depreciation once the 300rs comes out. In this scenario, I'd be better off going straight to a spanking new 300rs, and resell it if I don't like it (taking a $2,000 hit at most in my estimation).

Also, I need the preamp to audition the poweramp, which is why this looked so interesting. I'm on the lookout for a 30SS series 2 first, and anticiapte buying an 300rs new (unless a 360 shows up for 12K or less AFTER I buy the preamp).

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My idea for endgame is 300rs. I figured if I can get the 360 for peanuts, I can see if I even like the Spectral sound and resell with no loss and trade up to 300rs if I do.

If I buy the 360 at your pricepoint (or close), I'd lose a few grant depreciation once the 300rs comes out. In this scenario, I'd be better off going straight to a spanking new 300rs, and resell it if I don't like it (taking a $2,000 hit at most in my estimation).

Also, I need the preamp to audition the poweramp, which is why this looked so interesting. I'm on the lookout for a 30SS series 2 first, and anticiapte buying an 300rs new (unless a 360 shows up for 12K or less AFTER I buy the preamp).

If the 300RS *new* is your end-game, you can always evaluate it at home before you buy it... not following your logic there regarding $2000 loss; and you will figure out whether you like the Spectral sound or not; they can even loan you a preamp

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If the 300RS *new* is your end-game, you can always evaluate it at home before you buy it... not following your logic there regarding $2000 loss; and you will figure out whether you like the Spectral sound or not; they can even loan you a preamp

If I find a dealer willing to loan me a preamps and 300rs that would be ideal. Since they will be backordered, I was not anticipating they would, but I could be wrong. I can check with Goodwin's.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If I find a dealer willing to loan me a preamps and 300rs that would be ideal. Since they will be backordered, I was not anticipating they would, but I could be wrong. I can check with Goodwin's.

Even if you can't get a loaner, it's still cheaper to just get on the plane for $500 and schedule all day auditions, than to lose $2000 or more

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Even if you can't get a loaner, it's still cheaper to just get on the plane for $500 and schedule all day auditions, than to lose $2000 or more

How will that tell me how the Spectral's compare to the incumbent poweramps or how they will sound in my system? Complete wast of $500 in my opinion.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
How will that tell me how the Spectral's compare to the incumbent poweramps or how they will sound in my system? Complete wast of $500 in my opinion.

Really... any in-store demo is a complete waste, because you don't have your own equipment in there. Wow.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Really... any in-store demo is a complete waste, because you don't have your own equipment in there. Wow.

If you're in the market for say a pair of speakers going to a few demo's can be very useful. If you own a complete system already and are looking at replacing a single piece of electronics (say DAC, Amps), listening to a piece you're interested in a different system / room is indeed a waste of time, unless you bring your own DAC / amp to the demo room for direct comparison.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If you're in the market for say a pair of speakers going to a few demo's can be very useful. If you own a complete system already and are looking at replacing a single piece of electronics (say DAC, Amps), listening to a piece you're interested in a different system / room is indeed a waste of time, unless you bring your own DAC / amp to the demo room for direct comparison.

... in which case you rely on internet chatter and magazine reviews to pique your interest... I am not sure I see it that way, but anyway.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
... in which case you rely on internet chatter and magazine reviews to pique your interest... I am not sure I see it that way, but anyway.

"The wisdom of crowds" is a better predictor of performance than listening to whatever random DAC / amplifier a dealer has set up in his showroom. First, you never listen to "an amp or dac". You listen to the system using the component, and only a small fraction of SQ is determined by the amp. Case in point - lets say you go to dealer A and he has a dCS, spectral Avalon system set up. Dealer B has a MSB, Pass Lab Wilson setup. You're in the market for a DAC. You prefer the system at dealer A. Does this mean you have a preference for dCS over MSB DAC? Hell no. Might as well flip a coin.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
"The wisdom of crowds" is a better predictor of performance than listening to whatever random DAC / amplifier a dealer has set up in his showroom. First, you never listen to "an amp or dac". You listen to the system using the component, and only a small fraction of SQ is determined by the amp. Case in point - lets say you go to dealer A and he has a dCS, spectral Avalon system set up. Dealer B has a MSB, Pass Lab Wilson setup. You're in the market for a DAC. You prefer the system at dealer A. Does this mean you have a preference for dCS over MSB DAC? Hell no. Might as well flip a coin.

Edorr,

Your concern is right, but, OTOH, I agree with Peter that internet chatter cannot be any better.

I don't know which speakers you are using, but at the moment your not just browsing for a new cartridge or phono stage: you're looking for a entirely new amplification setup. In mean, that is really affecting the sound a lot!

In a perfect world, when a passionate music lover is about to drop several grands for an amplification, he could ask to test it in his environment. Sometimes it is possible. But if not, due to the important money investment, organizing an audition can be the most recommendable action.

The used market approach is another option, a tad risky but with a reduced money loss margin. The problem is that Spectral is not frequently running on the used market, specially when looking for the most recent realizations.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Edorr,

Your concern is right, but, OTOH, I agree with Peter that internet chatter cannot be any better.

I don't know which speakers you are using, but at the moment your not just browsing for a new cartridge or phono stage: you're looking for a entirely new amplification setup. In mean, that is really affecting the sound a lot!

In a perfect world, when a passionate music lover is about to drop several grands for an amplification, he could ask to test it in his environment. Sometimes it is possible. But if not, due to the important money investment, organizing an audition can be the most recommendable action.

The used market approach is another option, a tad risky but with a reduced money loss margin. The problem is that Spectral is not frequently running on the used market, specially when looking for the most recent realizations.

There are more ways the "wisdom of crowds" manifests itself than internet chatter. For example, is Oppo is a huge commercial success and everyone trying one likes it, I'll happily go with the Oppo buying lemmings - for a more expensive item I would be more cautious. My preferred option is always to buy used and try at home - not easy with Spectral as you mentioned.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There are more ways the "wisdom of crowds" manifests itself than internet chatter. For example, is Oppo is a huge commercial success and everyone trying one likes it, I'll happily go with the Oppo buying lemmings - for a more expensive item I would be more cautious. My preferred option is always to buy used and try at home - not easy with Spectral as you mentioned.

The way I read is that you trust the "wisdom of crowds" as you call it, over your own ears; that, even if a dealer is capable of swapping equipment for you, so you can pin-point the differences one component at a time... Though I won't deny a home audition is the best way to evaluate equipment, I have to admit, I am otherwise speechless... Hope you have seen this... I think I can read your mind now... this is why you buy at the lowest possible price...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The way I read is that you trust the "wisdom of crowds" as you call it, over your own ears; that, even if a dealer is capable of swapping equipment for you, so you can pin-point the differences one component at a time... Though I won't deny a home audition is the best way to evaluate equipment, I have to admit, I am otherwise speechless... Hope you have seen this... I think I can read your mind now... this is why you buy at the lowest possible price...

You misunderstand me. I use the wisdom of crowds only to narrow down the list of stuff I audition in my own system. I then decide based on listening whether I agree with the crowd or not and decide to sell or keep. I have owned pieces highly acclaimed by "the crowd" for less than 48 hours because my ears did not agree with the crowd (Pass Labs XP-10 preamp, ADA Reference Mach IV and others). Everyone narrows down their shortlist based on some 2nd hand source of information, be it the crowd, reviewers, dealers, audio buddies or some trusted guru. No one tries out stuff completely randomly. The Oppo is the only example I can think of where I have no desire to try out a bunch of other players at the same pricepoint, because there is a fairly broad consensus it is the undisputed price / performance / feature leader.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing