DMA 260 vs DMA 360 II

Steinway

Oct 19, 2012
Hi,

Are there any more opinions beside that the 360s got more macro dynamics and the 260 better micro dynamics.
At the moment I have the 200S and the 15SS with Magico V2 and listen most to piano recordings.
What about the transparence of the 360 vs the 260 ?
I could get the 360 series 2 for 12500 euro and the 260 for 9500. So not that big difference.
Is it worth it?

Matthias

edwardce

Oct 7, 2010
Hi Matthias, I also have a DMA 200S powering Magico V2s with a DMC 30 SS II and SDR 4000S Pro on the front end. I have not made a listening comparison between the two amps, unfortunately. However, I do know that the 200S uses the circuit topology of the 360II while the 260 is the first amp in the "family" to use the latest thinking/design of Prof Johnson and Spectral. I think the forthcoming DMA 400 will build on the 260 circuit. Unless I heard compelling evidence to the contrary, my personal inclination would be towards the 260 or the forthcoming 400. I have listened to/owned Spectral electronics for many generations and I have always thought they improved with each succeeding one. Hope this helps and enjoy the quest!

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
This is a very tough call and a process I went through several months back. I believe there are some other threads that explore it so I encourage you to browse them. I had both here and ultimately decided on the 360S2. My system is Wilson Sasha's/MIT Matrix SHD 120 + MA-X ic's/Berkeley Alpha Dac S2 + Alpha USB (at the time I had both amps my cables were Matrix 90 speaker + Matrix 50 ic's). I think your statement regarding micro/macro dynamics is pretty accurate so we do hear that the same. With a demanding speaker such as the Sasha, I found the 360S2 provided greater authority, scale, slam and projection and in the end was able to create a more lifelike presentation because of this. I did feel as if I traded extreme articulation of details (particularly in the treble regions) and spatial separation so there certainly are things the 260 does better and I could easily live with one for a very long time. This experience, being able to spend a good month with both amps, only now leaves me wanting the new DMA 400's as I imagine them to be the best of both and likely beyond. The one thing that is really great news for you is there is no way to screw this outcome up:). Any you choose from that short list of 3 will leave you with one of the truly great amps ever built!

Enjoy the process and please keep us informed.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
IMO anything Spectral is a good option

What's MSRP of the new 400 series

$25K, much higher I presume in Europe like all the rest. Obviously, he's looking to buy used.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So since the V2 is such an easy load, I would say the 260 is the way to go.

Steinway

Oct 19, 2012
Thank you all for your comments!
I guess i'll get the 260. I heard it at my dealer and was very impressed. But the 360s are the double price.. Hopefully one day the 400s are as cheap one day. :D

Matthias

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Thank you all for your comments!
I guess i'll get the 260. I heard it at my dealer and was very impressed. But the 360s are the double price.. Hopefully one day the 400s are as cheap one day. :D

Matthias

Well Matthias, we had better start saving because I heard the Dutch new price is about 40.000 euros. Damn...So for me it will take many years before they depreciate into my budget.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Matthias,
I have been listening to the 260 for a little over 1 year, and have never regretted the purchase. Past amps I've listened to have been Mark Levinson, ARC (solid state and tube - mono and stereo), and Classe. The Spectral 260 is really an amazing amp for the money!! You will not be disappointed!! (Just remember to get the Spectral amp that MUST be used with a Spectral preamp, and use a Spectral preamp, as well as MIT Spectral approved interconnect and speaker cable. Happy listening!!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Welcome scouter!

Glad to read you are happy with your Spectral gear. What speakers are you using?

Joe

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Joe,
Currently using YG Acoustics Carmels, but considering a switch to Wilson Audio. Any thoughts out there concerning the 2? I'm afraid the Wilsons will require a tough positioning for my room in order to sound great.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I've read great things about YG but never heard them. I am not a fan of the Wilsons with inverted dome tweeter. The new ones with the soft domes, I imagine, will sound much better. I am eager to listen to them.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Joe,
Currently using YG Acoustics Carmels, but considering a switch to Wilson Audio. Any thoughts out there concerning the 2? I'm afraid the Wilsons will require a tough positioning for my room in order to sound great.

How big are the YGs you have? I have seen and auditioned the Anat Professionals and they were quite large...and would probably have required comparable setup space as the bigger Wilsons and more than the Sasha, Watts. The Sasha/Sophia/Watts can be used a fairly broad variety of rooms, large and small...and i would not have thought require any more or less tough a positioning than many speakers...and less difficult than some electrostats/planars.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Joe,

Any reason to pull out fom YG? What Wilson model are you considering?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Any reason to pull out fom YG? What Wilson model are you considering?

I am with Flez007 on this one...what specifically is causing you to consider moving away from YG? perhaps we should understand that before we start making recommendations/suggestions for you to consider.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
The Carmels are quite small- 2 way- very well balanced, but I am considering a move to get more bass. There is nothing wrong with the Caramels-they image incredibly well, and are impressive in every way- just no way to get more bass. I have heard the Sophias and was impressed with the imaging and well balanced sound. Any comments from those who have the Spectral and Wilsons?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Carmels are quite small- 2 way- very well balanced, but I am considering a move to get more bass. There is nothing wrong with the Caramels-they image incredibly well, and are impressive in every way- just no way to get more bass. I have heard the Sophias and was impressed with the imaging and well balanced sound. Any comments from those who have the Spectral and Wilsons?

hmmm...allow me a personal indulgence (which Flez may have done as well as i recall)...have you considered a JL Gotham sub or a Velodyne DD18? You could set the cut off around 40hz or whatever blend works...and as many have found on this forum (including me), and also Mike Lavigne who is enjoying his stupifyingly cool MM7s with the dual sub towers which just arrived this week...that kind of bass when blended well with the main speakers has transformational effects on not just bass wallop and impact...it can also change the soundstage and openness of the overall presentation.

just a thought when you have clearly got very positive things to say about the rest of the balance of those speakers...perhaps you might not have to give it up for a whole new speaker?

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010

Don't Yg and Magico share a lot? Not only the aluminium but also the "voice"? Maybe an upgrade to the Q3 is the way to go? Just guessing...Just afraid that the Wilson bass may be "too much" if you're used to Yg?!?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing