DIY intruder

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
At this time i am building some more "prototypes" that i can distribute to my friends (lucky i do not have that many, LOL)...
The ones i have "lent" i am not getting back so need to build new ones. :)

We went to a concert of The Wood Brothers some time ago and could take this nice picture of us all together :p

Attachments

• GFTZ3807.JPG
    GFTZ3807.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 9
  • PKAT3749.JPG
    PKAT3749.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 9
  • QAAF7456.JPG
    QAAF7456.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    811.6 KB · Views: 8
  • VBKL9338.JPG
    VBKL9338.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 6
  • FXQW4451.JPG
    FXQW4451.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 5
  • CLUC3966.JPG
    CLUC3966.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 5
  • BDNR6084.JPG
    BDNR6084.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 3
  • OQSO8542.JPG
    OQSO8542.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 3
  • VUDQ4374.JPG
    VUDQ4374.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I keep hearing the talk about DAC that makes the best stand above others is in a big part the power supply and vibration control. Even the finish on the case of my dac matters.

Reactions: Lampie519

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Not sure how much influence vibrations have on the dac (in my case as no tubes are involved).
Power supplies need to be extreemly clean (more so as the dac is the source in the signal chain) as a cartridge in a turntable is.
Some people put stickers on their equipment and state it is an imrovement (maybe so). I will not follow this path...
True that material of enclosures make a difference as are cables etc. So it is up to the designer how far to go and what price tag to put on the device. Electronics are cheap but artisan work not ! A peace of wood costs more then the entire dac !
I like to create things that are aesthetical as well and like to work with glass.
The finished product should be more then just some parts glued together but a joy to look at. On the other hand most digital electronics have a short life span (beeing replaced by something better within a few years).
I do not want that (not much influence from my side i guess) so the idea of this design is to keep it as simple and "spartanic" as possible. No USB and other fancy inputs as these are things that change all the time.
Modular? No way... who bought a modular device and could get an upgrade after 10 years because of better technology? I think i do not need to answer this question...
So, no amplification and no other inputs other then S/PDIF and maybe I2S for the ones who think S/DIF is not good enough...

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Sometimes i get requests to repair an old amp... this is what happend... (SP6 turned into a mix of GRAAFiti and Lampie519)
As i had to do the dishes anyway .....

And a Dynaco Mark VI with burned transformer also got "transformed"...

Attachments

• BNOF3793.JPG
    BNOF3793.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 3
  • RSNY1509.JPG
    RSNY1509.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DDBA2504.JPG
    DDBA2504.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 4
  • HTYU4727.JPG
    HTYU4727.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 4
  • WSDN0450.JPG
    WSDN0450.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 4
  • CHAI2620.JPG
    CHAI2620.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 3
  • GMCT8023.JPG
    GMCT8023.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 3
  • CBXR9524.JPG
    CBXR9524.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Hello Kal,

Measurements i can provide but are not of great value i guess (same here as in other NOS converters). The main difference is the low output level (similar to pre digital area line levels of 0.775V)
If you are interested in observations of others these need to be people that are "neutral" right? So even if i would name some and these are no "public figures" then what is their observation worth to you ?
To get to the point: You will have experience it first hand !

Best wishes,

Frank

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Not sure how much influence vibrations have on the dac (in my case as no tubes are involved).
Power supplies need to be extreemly clean (more so as the dac is the source in the signal chain) as a cartridge in a turntable is.
Some people put stickers on their equipment and state it is an imrovement (maybe so). I will not follow this path...
True that material of enclosures make a difference as are cables etc. So it is up to the designer how far to go and what price tag to put on the device. Electronics are cheap but artisan work not ! A peace of wood costs more then the entire dac !
I like to create things that are aesthetical as well and like to work with glass.
The finished product should be more then just some parts glued together but a joy to look at. On the other hand most digital electronics have a short life span (beeing replaced by something better within a few years).
If the products are designed properly they’re not obsolete simply because newer ones claim to better, even with digital. Original Meitner Museatex and Weiss Medea still sound better to my ears than many high priced DACs I hear these days. Same for Transports CEC TL0, TL-1 and Levinson 31.5. Even early CDs with minimal processing transferred from analog masters sound great, much better than high bit transfers.

I do not want that (not much influence from my side i guess) so the idea of this design is to keep it as simple and "spartanic" as possible. No USB and other fancy inputs as these are things that change all the time.
Modular? No way... who bought a modular device and could get an upgrade after 10 years because of better technology? I think i do not need to answer this question...
So, no amplification and no other inputs other then S/PDIF and maybe I2S for the ones who think S/DIF is not good enough...
SPDIF!

david

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
New dac's in progress, slow progress...
As i want my dac's to sound as analog as possible i use an anloge programming language called "soldering Iron". The "upload" of this to the components unfortunately takes a lot of time and cannot be flashed....

Attachments

• SUOY4159[1].JPG
    SUOY4159[1].JPG
    754.1 KB · Views: 2
  • MAAP1974.JPG
    MAAP1974.JPG
    513.8 KB · Views: 2
  • XIFY3159.JPG
    XIFY3159.JPG
    889.2 KB · Views: 2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing